Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Miles from parking?

Miles from parking?

Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Miles from parking?

Currently I am saving up points from my airport parking (the parking spot), but it seems like a very poor value as the only thing I can spend them on is more parking. While I do save several hundred on vacations (only because I park there, something I wouldn't do if it wasn't free), is there a better parking system out there that I could possibly get miles or hotel points from. I know Park N Fly used to do that, but they pulled out of STL.

And ideas how you all use your parking points?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Preflight Parking gives out miles:

https://www.preflightairportparking....r-program.aspx

Sadly, they just closed their RDU location so I'm out of luck
Old Nov 20, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It's very rare for a program to provide valuable redemption options outside of their business. That's where it becomes "real" money. Taking up another parking spot costs them nearly nothing. Buying airline points to give to you has a real cost.

I've actually found PS to be a good value in terms of $ saved vs. $ spent, even when compared with cheaper parking options for personal trips. But if you have very low- or no-cost alternatives then yes, it's a poor value.

I haven't found any other options at PIT to earn points, let alone those to redeem elsewhere.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vatali
I know Park N Fly used to do that, but they pulled out of STL.
The version of the Park N Fly program that I saw required you to reserve your parking space in advance and precluded you from using third-party coupons, so I passed it by. LongTermParking.com has never-ending coupons for my local Park N Fly for 1 free day with minimum 2 days, and the feeble amount of points I could get from Park N Fly if I ignored that coupon don't make up for the up to 50% savings of using that coupon (for shorter trips).
qatest likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
http://thanksagain.com/locations/

Perhaps of interest. 1 mile / $ with a few airline FF programs is not bad for money you would be spending anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Just a note on Thanksagain: I have earned points with them dozens of times through purchases at airports. Zero of those points have ever posted in my Rapid Rewards account.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Just a note on Thanksagain: I have earned points with them dozens of times through purchases at airports. Zero of those points have ever posted in my Rapid Rewards account.
Interesting you mention that, I've had the exact same problem with points showing up as earned on their website but nothing making its way to my AA account
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Interesting you mention that, I've had the exact same problem with points showing up as earned on their website but nothing making its way to my AA account
Much like Cartera, I won't get my hopes up. With parking, its a case of "was going to spend the money anyway," so whatever points I get are gravy.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:01 am

I've also used ThanksAgain, and the miles don't post. But, each time a simple email to customer service has resulted in the missing miles posting within a few days. Annoying? Yes. But at least I know what to expect and it only takes a couple of minutes of my time.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
I use Preflight in Phoenix - The 250 mile deposits into my US Airways account are nice surprises.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:24 am

Chase Sapphire will typically give 2 UR points per $ spent, as parking constitutes travel.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Chase Sapphire will typically give 2 UR points per $ spent, as parking constitutes travel.
No parking that I've ever paid for has earned me 2x on my Chase Sapphire.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:21 am

I have yet to encounter a parking program that offers a good mileage deal for the cost. For the ones that offer miles they usually offer free parking as an alternative which from my experience is always a better deal. For example the common situation i see is 250 miles for 5 days of parking or 1 free day; valuing miles at $0.02 (generous rate) this is worth $5 while I have never seen parking this low at any of these places. I'll stick with taking the miles I get from my card for buying the parking and take my free days when I get them
Old Dec 26, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Gift them...

I've given a few weeks of free parking certificates to my parents over the years. They really appreciate it and I feel good too .
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
http://thanksagain.com/locations/

Perhaps of interest. 1 mile / $ with a few airline FF programs is not bad for money you would be spending anyway.
Just got this email: Sea-Tac Parking is no longer a participating merchant. However, WallyPark is now a participating merchant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.