Miles vs. cash: annuity scenario

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles vs. cash: annuity scenario

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
as pointed out earlier, you can easily invest cash but miles can not be invested for higher return in the future.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We gotta change it up a little. The original question is too much of a no-brainer. We've answered it.

Let's do:

100,000 miles per month
vs.
$1,250 per month

Assume by some miracle that you owe no taxes on either one and if you choose 100,000 miles per month, you're also granted a mid-tier elite status on your chosen alliance. (Thus you can choose to redeem coach if you want to...and you don't need to spend cash to mileage-run yourself to status every year.)

We all easily beat 1.25 cpm, right?

I think I'd probably still go cash, but if someone said that I also get SPG Platinum and every third month the payment is 100k Starpoints instead of airline miles, I'm suddenly more interested.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
We gotta change it up a little. The original question is too much of a no-brainer. We've answered it.
A couple of points I should have probably clarified in the op that would have made things more interesting:

First (I actually mentioned this part) you can choose any American based program, including the flex ones. Coincidentally that means you can always opt to get some cash/GC - albeit at a stiff penalty (generally 1 cpm but could be better depending on promotions).

Second, the straight cash option is pre-tax.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thorthor
A couple of points I should have probably clarified in the op that would have made things more interesting:

First (I actually mentioned this part) you can choose any American based program, including the flex ones. Coincidentally that means you can always opt to get some cash/GC - albeit at a stiff penalty (generally 1 cpm).

Second, the straight cash option is pre-tax.
Perhaps if I could select SPG as my program every month.

But I'd still run into the issue of it simply being too many points to ever use...plus I can think of a *lot* of non-travel things I'd do with $240k extra after-tax dollars per year, whether I was in "invest it" mode or "spend it" mode.

I think it's more interesting at smaller amounts. $30k a year in your pocket vs. approximately the number of miles/points you could actually spend on 2 or 3 awesome trips for 2 to 4 people each year...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's do:

100,000 miles per month
vs.
$1,250 per month

Assume by some miracle that you owe no taxes on either one and if you choose 100,000 miles per month, you're also granted a mid-tier elite status on your chosen alliance. (Thus you can choose to redeem coach if you want to...and you don't need to spend cash to mileage-run yourself to status every year.)

We all easily beat 1.25 cpm, right?

I think I'd probably still go cash, but if someone said that I also get SPG Platinum and every third month the payment is 100k Starpoints instead of airline miles, I'm suddenly more interested.
I'll take the miles. It's not a close decision (for me).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
100,000 miles per month
vs.
$1,250 per month
That's a more interesting decision to make because it's more conceivable to spend 1.2M miles per year. I could purchase two foreign trips in J for me and and my wife, two domestic trips in F, and use the rest to buy flights as gifts for family who can't afford to travel long distances.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 10:08 am

Can I get paid in bitcoin?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AX PLT (CA+US), Hyatt Diamond, SPG GD, CX GD
I'd take miles just because of my personal travel habits (Last minute flights). It would be nice to not have to buy any revenue tickets for a while, and instead travel exclusively in F/J.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:01 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Only way the miles would be better is if the winner happened to be a mileage broker and was somehow bulletproof from getting busted.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
Cash always! With all the devaluation and restrictions, good luck trying to find an anytime seat, even when you have miles to burn!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:24 pm

Well, to be fair, "anytime" seats are rather easy to find... But if that's all you're finding, you're way ahead just taking cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.