Reload this Page >

UA vs AA shopping portal?

Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR

Hello,

I was recently browsing the two portals and It appears AA has better deals (more miles/$) for the same stores. Anybody know why AA can offer more than UA?

I'm focusing on building my UA miles, but given this and since I will earn a good portion of miles from shopping, I may have to switch focus to AA if such good deals persist.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
there is no one better then other comparison..it all depends on which store your shopping at and what month/day it is...those rates always change..the best practice is using one of those shopping portal viewers like evreward or cashbackmonitor for all of your purchases.

if your looking for united miles UR also has some really good values sometimes
Old Sep 19, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by bitachu
there is no one better then other comparison..it all depends on which store your shopping at and what month/day it is...those rates always change..the best practice is using one of those shopping portal viewers like evreward or cashbackmonitor for all of your purchases.

if your looking for united miles UR also has some really good values sometimes
I see, thanks. Since I want to build miles and do not have a miles CC, I wonder if it is best to buy the best deal going or concentrate on one airline even if it's at a lower rate?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:30 am

Have you looked at the award charts for UA vs. AA for where you want to go? If you find one takes significantly less miles for a trip, you may want to focus on that program. I'm guessing AA will come out ahead doe to UA's recent devaluations. Is your home airport one of the hubs for either?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dcflyer10
...best to buy the best deal going or concentrate on one airline even if it's at a lower rate?
Unless your online purchases are very large, miles earned through a portal are unlikely to be a major source of rewards, and switching between two portals means you are likely to end up with a modest amount of miles in two programs, rather than a redeemable amount in one. I would pick one and stay with it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by mia
Unless your online purchases are very large, miles earned through a portal are unlikely to be a major source of rewards, and switching between two portals means you are likely to end up with a modest amount of miles in two programs, rather than a redeemable amount in one. I would pick one and stay with it.
Take a look at chase UR portal. You can transfer 1:1 to united AND a lot of other programs AND it's not run by catera. Points post very quickly and reliably.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:55 am

I love using the united shopping portal. I handle some purchasing for work, so I use it to buy things like ink for our printer (600$ at 7m/$) and got to use the business card to pay for it so I'm not even waiting for a reimbursement!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:55 am
mia

...do not have a miles CC,
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Take a look at chase UR portal....AND it's not run by catera...
dcflyer10 may not have an eligible Chase credit card.

Also, the Ultimate Rewards Mall is operated by Cartera:

Terms of Use
Definitions:
"Merchants" are the individual merchants whose products and services may be purchased through the Ultimate Rewards Mall.
"Providers" are both Chase Bank USA, N.A. and Cartera Commerce, Inc., who provides administrative services for the program.

Last edited by mia; Sep 22, 2014 at 11:47 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by mia
Also, the Ultimate Rewards Mall is operated by Cartera:
Weird, it doesn't have the cartera feel.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:43 pm
mia

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Weird, it doesn't have the cartera feel.
Dated discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...l-cartera.html
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, HGP Diamond, HH Gold, Marriott, CC Gold, SPG
Like Bitachu mentioned above http://www.cashbackmonitor.com/Trave...ts-Comparison/ is a game changer. Certain sites like marriot's shopping portals have estores that are not in the other ones. Keep an eye out for bonus offers as well.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:20 pm

I use the AA shopping portal a lot (my go-to portal), and points have always posted promptly. On 9/23, I used United Shopping to be a $925 clothing item at Neiman Marcus (12x that day), and still no pending points. AA has never taken more than a week. Also, I made a $500 Sears gift card from Alaska portal (9x) and those posted within 3 days. If all portals are Cartera, why the discrepancy?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I use the AA shopping portal a lot (my go-to portal), and points have always posted promptly. On 9/23, I used United Shopping to be a $925 clothing item at Neiman Marcus (12x that day), and still no pending points. AA has never taken more than a week. Also, I made a $500 Sears gift card from Alaska portal (9x) and those posted within 3 days. If all portals are Cartera, why the discrepancy?
it could be the dif between the actual company your purchasing from..everyone does things different...Neiman marcus might report a sale later then sears might report..
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:35 pm

I see, thanks. Since I want to build miles and do not have a miles CC, I wonder if it is best to buy the best deal going or concentrate on one airline even if it's at a lower rate?
since I have points in lots of programs I usually post to whatever the biggest deal is..although I do focus in on ua, aa, discover card and hawaiian air
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Hello,

I was recently browsing the two portals and It appears AA has better deals (more miles/$) for the same stores. Anybody know why AA can offer more than UA?

I'm focusing on building my UA miles, but given this and since I will earn a good portion of miles from shopping, I may have to switch focus to AA if such good deals persist.
In terms of out right value and options for merchants, I like Rewards boost from my Arrival+ card... Has a lot more merchants on there and most other portals, especially in the travel section.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.