Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Discussion: what's stopping AA/UA/DL from moving to fixed value mile redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: what's stopping AA/UA/DL from moving to fixed value mile redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:03 pm

Regional? WN's napkins say they are the largest domestic carrier in the U.S.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
WN is a regional airline. AA, UA, and DL are global airlines.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I don't see how a revenue-based approach can work for international flights and premium travel. WN flies short routes and all-Coach equipment, so they can get away with it.
It can "work" in the sense of people who are picking the cheapest fare anyways aren't going to suddenly stop booking with you, but now you're failing to wring every bit of value (whether a last minute award booking that decrements liabilities or actual cash) from your destressed inventory (premium cabin inventory that can and will go empty).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:17 pm

I suppose by short haul you mean international. WN flies MSY-LAX, an almost 4 hour flight, not exactly a short haul, IMO.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
It can "work" in the sense of people who are picking the cheapest fare anyways aren't going to suddenly stop booking with you, but now you're failing to wring every bit of value (whether a last minute award booking that decrements liabilities or actual cash) from your destressed inventory (premium cabin inventory that can and will go empty).
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
WN is a regional airline. AA, UA, and DL are global airlines.
Indeed. There are things that AA/US, UA and DL do with regard to their "loyalty" program customers abroad that WN's lawyers don't even consider.

Originally Posted by aceflyer2
Regional? WN's napkins say they are the largest domestic carrier in the U.S.
North America is a region of the globe. Does WN fly to any continent beyond North America? It seems to me that WN is more of a regional airline than a global airline. AA/US, UA and DL fly to at least three continents around the globe. Does WN even have scheduled commercial passenger flights that go to South America, Europe, Asia or Africa? My understanding was that WN is pretty much just in the North American region.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by polarpacific
Could you please elaborate on the redemption choices you mentioned for Qantas, and how to access the higher value redemption option.

Thanks
Not much to it.

When you see a results screen it will show point values for the dynamic fare based awards. But the points price for the classic awards doesn't display unless you hover your mouse over the seat icon.

It's designed to quietly steer people to the usually higher dynamic fare awards.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Going to a revenue-based fixed value redemption model that is largely indistinguishable from a fixed cash rebate percentage poses at least two risks to US program operators: lose customers to non-airline cash-back programs; and create tax liability exposure risks for HVCs using OPM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
An interesting paper on accounting rules/procedures for FF programs:

http://greenandgold.uaa.alaska.edu/w...irline-FFP.pdf
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:49 am

The bigger question is whether it would be to their advantage to do so. If the miles are fungible then why wouldn't they just offer a 5% lower ticket prices?

Have you ever noticed that loyalty cards always offer fixed awards? Every n drinks of any sort with any extras you get a free medium cofee. Ever n meals you get a free sandwich. So on.

Part of that might be that it makes the accounting easier. But I think a factor is that this lets them pick the highest margin item maximizing the value the consumer thinks they're getting but minimising the actual cost to the merchant.

The current system actually suits the airlines quite well. If it were really hurting they would have changed it ages ago. The current system lets them give away flights without hurting their bottom line.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Going to a revenue-based fixed value redemption model that is largely indistinguishable from a fixed cash rebate percentage poses at least two risks to US program operators: lose customers to non-airline cash-back programs
I think that's the biggest of the two. Unless the redemption rate offered substantially more than 2% rebate, there would be no reason to get an airline affinity card when someone can just get a 2% cash back card. And, I don't see why an airline would offer an exchange rate much higher than what they get paid by the bank for the miles (it could be a little higher and still work, due to breakage).

The way it is now, they can offer arbitrage opportunities that offer the equivalent value much higher than 2%, because they limit the availability to only those seats that they think will otherwise go unsold.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does WN even have scheduled commercial passenger flights that go to South America, Europe, Asia or Africa? My understanding was that WN is pretty much just in the North American region.
They have (or are about to have) flights to at least Central America, maybe very "near" (ie, northernmost) South America, from southern US cities like Houston. But they're limited to where they can fly to with 737s. There are South American destinations (just south of the Caribbean) which may be within a 737's range from someplace like Houston, but it's only "near" South America. (You know, some of those same places in South America where some of the legacies also fly just single-aisle planes! Although a 757 can fly further than a 737 can, so not all single-aisle planes are equal. I don't know whether a 737 can make it to Lima from the US, even if a 757 can and does. Certainly some legacies use 757s transatlantic, but Southwest's 737s are unusable for that.)

But Chile or Argentina, no way!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Not much to it.

When you see a results screen it will show point values for the dynamic fare based awards. But the points price for the classic awards doesn't display unless you hover your mouse over the seat icon.

It's designed to quietly steer people to the usually higher dynamic fare awards.

Thanks

I now understand why I wasn't previously seeing the choices you mention -- My award searches on the QF system are for always CX flights, so the results are already filtered for classic awards only.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think that's the biggest of the two. Unless the redemption rate offered substantially more than 2% rebate, there would be no reason to get an airline affinity card when someone can just get a 2% cash back card. And, I don't see why an airline would offer an exchange rate much higher than what they get paid by the bank for the miles (it could be a little higher and still work, due to breakage).

The way it is now, they can offer arbitrage opportunities that offer the equivalent value much higher than 2%, because they limit the availability to only those seats that they think will otherwise go unsold.
I agree. A whole bunch of people who steer their spending to airline affinity cards would jump ship if they shift to a Southwest-like points system. Should that happen, we might as well just get cash back unless, like you say, the points would have a high value upon redemption.

One possibility, though, would be a value like 1.5 cents for coach awards, but a much higher value for premium cabin awards and upgrades. This would be an indirect way to offer discounted F and C. I'd be okay with that if it were something like 3 cents or more for the premium awards.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by vxmike
Southwest has done just fine with a fixed value earn and redemption system.

I think many of us suspect one if not all of the three legacy airlines left in the USA want to move to a similar system sooner or later. What's stopping them from doing it now?

There is little competition and few empty seats compared to the past. An attractive FF program is no longer required to fill loads of empty seats and boost revenue. Here are a few possible reasons I can think of why they don't just make the change now:

1) They believe that moving to a fixed value point system would actually harm their business and too many flyers would defect to the competition. Nobody wants to go first.

2) Converting banked miles to a fixed redemption value could cause a huge rush of redemptions as FFers with millions of banked miles spend them in lieu of spending cash. This could cause a huge short term cash flow disruption. I love hoarding miles knowing I can redeem them for intl F/J, but I would not hoard them if miles had a fixed value. I spend Southwest points as fast as I earn them.

3) Potential effects on Alliance partners. I'm not sure how it would work within OW/*A/ST if a major member converted to a fixed value point system. This may actually save AA/DL/UA money if they no longer have to pay for expensive partner award flights. For example I have seen threads indicating that some OneWorld flyers only use AA as a mileage "bank" and don't actually fly the airline regularly since AAdvantage is a generous program. I can't imagine that behavior is profitable to AA. This is mostly speculation on my part but food for thought.

4) Perhaps the airlines generate substantial revenue from credit card companies that would be compromised in a move to a fixed redemption value. For example if an AA mile suddenly becomes worth a fixed $.015 and correspondingly reduces cash revenue by that amount that may hurt profits. I doubt the average actual "cost" to AA/UA/DL per mile redeemed is more than a cent considering that upgrades and otherwise empty seats have an almost zero tangible cost. Partner flight redemption is the only serious cost incurred.

Thoughts?
I wonder if changing to a revenue model reduces the breakage rate (the rate that points expire unused). Although not as valuable (although those VA points are quite valuable), the points are easier to use.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by dhuey
I agree. A whole bunch of people who steer their spending to airline affinity cards would jump ship if they shift to a Southwest-like points system. Should that happen, we might as well just get cash back unless, like you say, the points would have a high value upon redemption.

One possibility, though, would be a value like 1.5 cents for coach awards, but a much higher value for premium cabin awards and upgrades. This would be an indirect way to offer discounted F and C. I'd be okay with that if it were something like 3 cents or more for the premium awards.
If UA switched to a $ system it's hard to see much incentive to stay with their affinity cards, as there are already a couple of competing cards that give you 2%+ in travel cash back (and the ticket you buy earns miles and elite qual).

On the other hand they are going to have to make an adjustment at some point. Over time inflation means that the credit card miles grow and grow, while the miles earned for travel are fixed (except for the occasional relocation of a city or adjusting for continental drift). Either they have to reduce the earn rate on miles or make some adjustment to flight earnings, or else the miles earned for flying will become a rounding error on the rest. And with the additional restrictions on elite benefits it's hard to see why a large segment of the public would care which airline they're on from an earning perspective. They will just book flights on the airlines that suits them best (which, sadly, is unlikely to be United unless United is the only flight available for redemption).

Last edited by Boghopper; Apr 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
Airlines make billions from credit card millage sales. If they went "fixed" point value in their programs that revenue would dry up rather quickly when consumers would get to see head to head what the best "rebate" deal is out there. There are cards that give 2% cashback already on the market place...going fixed value would chop the legs out from under the credit card miles business.

...in the short term the conversion to a fixed value program could be mitigated with 2-4-1 voucher on spend offers to cc customers, etc. Long term, the revenue is gone as people shift their spend to other products. The credit card issuers could care less whether you use their airline/travel affiliated card vs a cashback product, etc...we will still use credit cards, its the airlines that'll hurt their most lucrative stream of revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.