Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your plan? Hoard miles or burn em if you got em?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I seem to earn them faster than burn them, but I do go a little overboard with my MS. I have taken 5 international trips in the past year and spent 13 weeks out of the country on holiday, but still have more points than I did before trips. Have 4 trips planned so far this year, but I imagine with continued MS that I will still be up many 100k's miles/points by years end again.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by bbbacres
Well, someone has to state the counter argument, so I will. I have 1 million miles plus waiting for the day I finally tap into them and use them. My plan is to retire in a few years and start travelling. So, am I wrong? Much of the "devaluation" taking place is indirect. Eg harder to earn new miles, and less places to spend them on (less available seats). But the actual award costs have not changed so much (though certainly some, especially with the catagories). But, for example, if you are flexible on your dates, you can still get a delta FF ticket domestic for 25k miles. What is the lowest it was in the past? Perhaps it was once 20k, I hardly remember but that sounds familiar, but it was ages ago. And since then I have discovered one can accumulate 10's of thousands more than the old days with partner spending.

With a million miles, and flexible dates, believe me, I can buy a lot of 25k award tickets, or even 50k and up overseas. So, unless these programs die altogether, or the airlines call it quits, I don't think I'm in bad shape. And the elite status for life (at least silver an maybe more) that veteran fliers can earn doesn't hurt. Thoughts?
Most FT'ers like to fly in premium cabins and with some programs the purchasing power of miles has been cut 50% or more. In 5 more years, if you want to travel abroad in premium cabins, you may go to cash in your miles and find you only have enough for one or two trips (assuming it's you + wife).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by skibum7732
I seem to earn them faster than burn them, but I do go a little overboard with my MS. I have taken 5 international trips in the past year and spent 13 weeks out of the country on holiday, but still have more points than I did before trips. Have 4 trips planned so far this year, but I imagine with continued MS that I will still be up many 100k's miles/points by years end again.
What sort of manufactured spend are you working with? Last year I spent 73% of the year out of the country and this year I have int'l trips booked (or already traveled) for part or all of Jan., Mar., May, June, July, August, Sept., & Dec...we'll see about Oct/Nov., but I will still end the year with a few hundred K miles.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
I'm a Delta FF (perhaps soon to be former DL, jumping to AA, depending on what AA does), so given the upcoming "RDMocide" of 2015, I'll be hoarding in 2014 then burning in 2015 as I likely unwind DL status in favor of AA, AS, or B6.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by skibum7732
Its addicting. I just lost 75K southwest miles because of inactivity. I totally forgot about them. Should've donated tix to someone with granny in Alabama.
Now Im looking at best ways to spend 120K of Virgin Atlantic miles. UK is not an option, so I'm thinking Hawaii.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:47 pm

Just wishin...and hopin...and dreamin...and prayin...

...that American doesn't devalue before 2015. Wanting to take my partner to Paris in First on the 77W or on BA, 4 nights in Paris via Chase UR & the Hyatt Visa, then 5 nights in Sorrento, Italy via Hilton.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:44 am

I've saved enough M&M miles for a business class round the world trip. The opportunity to use this hasn't arisen yet, but may do soon. In the meantime I'm getting close to having enough miles for a first class RTW ticket.

My worries are that the M&M awards will become more expensive. The RTW awards already leapt once while I was saving.

The other worry is that some *A airlines will follow Swiss' lead and stop allowing first class awards.

I'm tempted to take a first class award trip ZRH-SFO on LH in the next couple of months, as that might be the next airline to restrict first class.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AA Advantage Platinum, United Premier Platinum, Choice Hotels Gold
I had 270k United Miles and burned up 260k booking 4 RT's to Asia before the changes for 2014. I'm holding and trying to earn AA and US Airways miles any way I can, i've banked about 25k in both AA and 25k in US airways in just the last couple of months without flying. Sitting on over 200k AA and 190k on US Airways. Waiting to see how long before a new chart is introduced and other details. I already plan on burning through those miles in 2015 though.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
If I have 1.5MM AA miles sitting in my account passing time...will I get kicked off FT?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: SPG, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Gold Passport
Is there a website or resource that displays the historical value of certain points/miles programs (kind of like a currency value tracking website)?

e.g. AAdvantage miles for F one-way JFK-LAX in 2004 were xx,xxx, in 2007 were xx,xxxx and in 2014 it's xx,xxx

I'm an online media buyer and I hoard much much faster than I spend. But I hoard to Amex MR, SPG and Chase UR and transfer out as needed. I was previously directing everything to a 2% cashback Plum but found my use of points/miles (when redeemed properly) are worth well over 0.02 a piece--for now.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:38 am

I'm more of a hoarder, just because the opportunities to travel aren't frequent now that I have 2 young kids. But when I do have a chance to use my points, I use 'em... even if I'm not necessarily maximizing my cpp. No reason to pay cash while sitting on a mountain of points just waiting for a higher redemption value.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:34 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'm more of a strategic redeemer... My miles are steadily increasing, I'm taking trips when ever I can, and, if I know where/when/with whom I want to go before a devaluation, I book an award.
The UA devaluation caught me on the heels of a big travel year with two more trips booked. I did not rush out and book a trip, because I couldn't squeeze in any more vacation plans. So, I am riding the wave... Keep the earning pace steady, and redeem with a plan. I'm almost to 2MM airline points... I have more points than time to get away, so all's well in San Diego.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been over 500,000 total airline miles a few times, but not for long. I use them quickly if I can.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
No point in hoarding... not like you get interest on the points. In reality, there is a cost associated with holding on to them as they inevitably get devalued.

I burn as fast as I can, although I am limited to some degree by the amount of vacation time I have for work... I have enough points for all of my family vacations through 2016, but I am only now at the point of being able to book my first trip of 2015. As a result, I have a number of points on hand that I can't use right now.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
The problem is that 24 hours of flights to go to Singapore for 12 hours seem a bit...wasteful. Unless you're a blogger plugging credit cards, I guess. Then it's instant trip report fodder!

Longer flights make more sense... but can be a career limiting move ("Sorry, boss, can't work on that critical project this week, UA and Hilton just announced a devaluation, I'm off to Bali and Ko Samui for 10 days via FRA, MUC, ZRH and BKK so I can spend 4 hours in each FCL and get in some time in some Conrads")... unless you're a travel blogger, I guess, or someone who can do their work from anywhere on the planet with sufficient Internet connectivity, or perhaps living a life of leisure as an independently wealthy sybarite/heir/heiress. Us working stiffs have jobs and obligations, families and responsibilities...

That being said... I earn and I burn. No point hoarding a currency a corporation can devalue with zero notice.
In my case, I work for a company with an *extremely* liberal vacation policy—I spent pretty much all of November offline while I traveled around Japan. Our CEO just spent the last two weeks working remote from Sydney after grabbing a mistake fare to Australia and taking his whole family with him.

We're all programmers so working online is how we work anyways. If we find a great fare to Costa Rica, we take it and just work from a beach for a week or two.

I definitely agree on the "12 hours in Singapore" point. Unless I'm going for at least a week, I just don't see the point in an intercontinental flight, unless it's for business or an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.