Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Citibank Checking 40,000 TY Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Anybody finished this yet? My 2nd bill pay and direct deposit should post in about 3 days and then I'm calling for the 40k!
They will tell you that you have to wait the full time and then the points will post within so many days after that....then they will not post and you will have probably call a few times and email....then after numerous times of pestering them they will finally post to your acct....They cannot get their act together, but 40k is still nice, but you will likely have to jump through hoops.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by skibum7732
They will tell you that you have to wait the full time and then the points will post within so many days after that....then they will not post and you will have probably call a few times and email....then after numerous times of pestering them they will finally post to your acct....They cannot get their act together, but 40k is still nice, but you will likely have to jump through hoops.
Gosh, what else is new?!
I'm prepared for that... Sometimes you get lucky w/this stuff though! I'm hoping for that , and prepared for the long haul.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:44 pm

Gosh, what else is new?!
I'm prepared for that... Sometimes you get lucky w/this stuff though! I'm hoping for that , and prepared for the long haul.
I am in the same boat ... hope the points will be posted before the next cycle else I have to pay the fee.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Im guessing this deal is over, I called and spoke to an online rep, and she said they no longer have it.

she also asked for a promo code, but i didnt have one, wish I knew about this, I have a citibank right across from my office!!!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 3:01 pm

Went into Citi chat today after my last qualifying transaction posted.
Asked if she could confirm all was good. To her everything "seemed" good. I asked if there was any way she could mark the account as having completed the promotion or send it off to approval w/TYP and unfortunately not.

She said it's automatic if you've made the right transactions.

She did say she noted the account for the promotion though. Hopefully that pushes things along. Said it's 90 days from statement closing date (Nov 30th).

Here comes the waitttiiiinnngggg game. Will see if it was worth it.

Anybody know if you can downgrade your account before points post once they start charging monthly fees?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:01 pm

Went into Citi chat today after my last qualifying transaction posted.
Asked if she could confirm all was good. To her everything "seemed" good. I asked if there was any way she could mark the account as having completed the promotion or send it off to approval w/TYP and unfortunately not.

She said it's automatic if you've made the right transactions.

She did say she noted the account for the promotion though. Hopefully that pushes things along. Said it's 90 days from statement closing date (Nov 30th).

Here comes the waitttiiiinnngggg game. Will see if it was worth it.

Anybody know if you can downgrade your account before points post once they start charging monthly fees?
I would not risk it ... one a side note, you can always ask Citi to pay your student loan using Citi Thankyou Points by sending you a check paying to your bank institution and you can deposit it to your checking account.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by DziVang
I would not risk it ... one a side note, you can always ask Citi to pay your student loan using Citi Thankyou Points by sending you a check paying to your bank institution and you can deposit it to your checking account.
I'm a debt free man...
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
I'm a debt free man...
Nobody said you had to actually "use" it to pay a student loan Lots of info can be found on FT and other forums...
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by stealph
Nobody said you had to actually "use" it to pay a student loan Lots of info can be found on FT and other forums...
For sure, I understood what they were saying. But calling and telling them it's for a student loan if it's not, is against my line..
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Here's the msg I received from them... I've had a statement close since this message with no bonus points posted. I haven't been charged the $30 fee yet so until then I'm patiently waiting. As soon as a fee hits I'll be on the phone.

Dear Nehawk:

Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in our 2nd Quarter National Consumer Checking Promotion, which offered 40,000 ThankYou® Points if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response.

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive.

For more information regarding the status or the posting of points to ThankYou Member account, please ask client to contact the ThankYou Service Center by calling 1-800-842-6596 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. or Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) or online by visiting www.thankyou.com.

If you have any further questions regarding your account, please contact CitiPhone Customer Service at 1-800-627-3999 or 1-800-360-2484 for a Spanish-speaking representative. Speech or hearing impaired customers may call the text telephone service at 1-800-945-0258. Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also access your account information online at www.citibankonline.com.

Sincerely,

P.A

Client Research
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
Here's the msg I received from them... I've had a statement close since this message with no bonus points posted. I haven't been charged the $30 fee yet so until then I'm patiently waiting. As soon as a fee hits I'll be on the phone.

Dear Nehawk:

Recently, you contacted Citibank regarding your participation in our 2nd Quarter National Consumer Checking Promotion, which offered 40,000 ThankYou® Points if certain terms and conditions were met. We appreciate your patience while waiting for our response.

We have confirmed that your account has met the necessary requirements to qualify. Please allow 90 days from the date of the qualifying transaction(s), which satisfied the terms and conditions, to receive your incentive.

For more information regarding the status or the posting of points to ThankYou Member account, please ask client to contact the ThankYou Service Center by calling 1-800-842-6596 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. or Saturday, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Standard Time) or online by visiting www.thankyou.com.

If you have any further questions regarding your account, please contact CitiPhone Customer Service at 1-800-627-3999 or 1-800-360-2484 for a Spanish-speaking representative. Speech or hearing impaired customers may call the text telephone service at 1-800-945-0258. Representatives are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may also access your account information online at www.citibankonline.com.

Sincerely,

P.A

Client Research

Has Citibank offered an explanation for why it takes so long? I think it defeats the "feel good about our services" purpose of the bonus to drag it out, and with Capital One and other banks the wait is much shorter -- one statement period at most. I have been waiting for a 10K TYP retention bonus to post since early September. Each time I call (every two weeks) I get a different answer for when the points will post.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Just tweeted askciti to see if they can retroactively give me this promotion if I open a Citigold account.

will update.

Last edited by ac921ol; Nov 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jetsfan
Has Citibank offered an explanation for why it takes so long? I think it defeats the "feel good about our services" purpose of the bonus to drag it out, and with Capital One and other banks the wait is much shorter -- one statement period at most. I have been waiting for a 10K TYP retention bonus to post since early September. Each time I call (every two weeks) I get a different answer for when the points will post.
They have not. I decided to send them a SM and see if it was possible to expedite the posting so it would be possible to use the points to do some Christmas shopping this year. We'll see what they come back with.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:24 pm

That last SM I sent must have got the job done. 40,000 TY points posted today.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nehawk
That last SM I sent must have got the job done. 40,000 TY points posted today.
Holy crap! That's like the most successful Citi banking sign-up deal post I've ever read. Messaged now, will report back! FYI - you can't have any apostrophes in your message, so the words "haven't" and "can't" will make your message not end. Weird?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.