Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey — 2013 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 3:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey — 2013 Edition

Please click here for the article and poll results.

How satisfied or dissatisfied are you with award redemptions at your current frequent flyer program(s)? FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler are conducting the Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey, which will be active through June 15, 2013.

This is the second in a series of joint surveys by FlyerTalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the survey; FlyerTalk members will provide the opinions. Most FlyerTalk members redeem frequent flier loyalty program miles — but depending on personal preferences, the frequent flier loyalty programs of some airlines are significantly more satisfying and beneficial than others.

Results of this poll will be announced by both Frequent Business Traveler magazine and FlyerTalk.

So — with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you very satisfied, and with which airline frequent flier loyalty programs are you least satisfied? Please vote today and let everyone know!

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 1, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old May 22, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
How were the programs selected? So many excluded...

JAL? Nope.
Thai? Nope.
Etihad? Nope.
Asiana? Nope.

Some of these aren't exactly insignificant. Just curious.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:56 am

Westjet is missing. It is the best program for rewards of all the programs I am a member of. No blackout days, no reward seat limits, no monkey business.

Porter Airlines is missing too, but it is a smaller airline. Alitalia.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

Quite a simple poll, can only indicate three levels of satisfaction for each program. I rated Delta as not satisfied and United as very satisfied. Would have been interesting to add more questions, such as ease of online booking, ease of booking over the phone, low-tier mileage availability, award fees, perks of being an elite, access to alliance partner awards, etc.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Thank you, FlytheTail — but what you quoted by me is what will be the link to the results, not the poll itself.

The results will not be available until sometime after June 15, 2013.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Too bad there is not a "hoax" rating for British Air.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:45 am
hrk

Programs: AC, Hilton
Aeroplan (Air Canada) hands down!
Old May 29, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: DL GM
Southwest overrated - Old rewards unusable

Southwest consistently gets high grades for award availability. I would have agreed - until now. I have multiple trips planned from Detroit to California (Bay Area, Los Angeles area, San Diego). "Old" awards coupons, which are about to expire in the next year or so, are simply unusable. I am flexible as to both airport and date. But there are zero, or very near zero, seats available for the round trip this summer (June, July, August, 2-7 day trip) all summer from Detroit to SFO, SJC, OAK, LAX, SNA, and SAN.

These awards expire and are non-extendable. Delta award seats at 25,000 miles are hard to come by. But at least they don't expire, giving the hope for future use. With Southwest, it is "use it or lose it", with "use it" not being an option.

Had the computerized ratings tried to use old awards, not just new ones, I expect Southwest would be down with Delta (or lower).
Old May 29, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
AC is hurt by the oft debated scamcharges. When an award ticket costs almost as much in fees as a paid fare would then it's not a great program for redemption at least.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Starwood, Marriott Rewards
Just booked two business class tickets for Christmas and New Years Down Under with United. No issues, other than having to call rather than book online since we're landin in one city and leaving from another.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by chinookllc
Just booked two business class tickets for Christmas and New Years Down Under with United. No issues, other than having to call rather than book online since we're landin in one city and leaving from another.
Using the multi city option I think you could have booked it on UA.com
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TomLechner
Southwest consistently gets high grades for award availability. I would have agreed - until now. I have multiple trips planned from Detroit to California (Bay Area, Los Angeles area, San Diego). "Old" awards coupons, which are about to expire in the next year or so, are simply unusable. I am flexible as to both airport and date. But there are zero, or very near zero, seats available for the round trip this summer (June, July, August, 2-7 day trip) all summer from Detroit to SFO, SJC, OAK, LAX, SNA, and SAN.

These awards expire and are non-extendable. Delta award seats at 25,000 miles are hard to come by. But at least they don't expire, giving the hope for future use. With Southwest, it is "use it or lose it", with "use it" not being an option.

Had the computerized ratings tried to use old awards, not just new ones, I expect Southwest would be down with Delta (or lower).
Not true. Southwest "standard awards" are extendable if you know this trick:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ard-award.html

You could have found that had you gone to the Southwest forum and searched on the word "extend".
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:59 pm

Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by hrk
Aeroplan (Air Canada) hands down!
^ for your post, for Aeroplan itself. Indeed the worst program for award redemptions, both availability and cost. And to Altitude for worst elite tier benefits among NAmerican FF programs.

For example, in a two week period in mid-July there was only one economy award seat available between YYZ and YEG at the Classic (regular) redemption rate, and that was routed YYZ-YOW-YEG. Cost one-way would have been 18K (vs 25K for a return ticket, but no return space available at all for the next month and a half!) and $164. Found the same seat through MP and booked it for 12.5K in miles and $52 in fees/taxes! Any wonder why AE sucks royally?

Moved all my STAR flight credits to MP and have not put a single flight mile into my AE/Altitude account this year. Stopped putting flights into AE mid-year last year (hit 84K EQMs and had no interest in requalifying for SE) and this will be my final year of being elite (Elite in AC/Presidents Gold in CP every years since elite tiers introduced, and SE most of them after the merger) in the AE program after 29 years being a member!

AE has the only MM program that does not recognize flights taken on its merger airline CP, nor even AC flights in its first 4-1/2 years of operation!

Conclusion: AE is the worst FF program in NAmerica. Adios AE...hasta la vista AC!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Just a few days left to participate in the survey

The Frequent Flyer Program Award Redemption Satisfaction Survey will end later this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.