PHL - PEK/DME - PHL Summer of 2014 Advice

Subscribe
My sister just left for a two year stint with the Peace Corps in Mongolia.
The plan is for my mom and her friend to go visit over the summer of 2014.

I'm trying to figure out what is the best FF program & offers for them to focus on in order to accumulate the miles needed to redeem their flights.

Neither person travels that often, so most (if not all) of the miles will have to be earned through CC offers, churning, etc.

The only miles card that either of them has is the US Air Premier Master Card.

Thanks.
This isn't set on a specific FF program, but you could try going for the AmEx Platinum card here: http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/maxi...m-card-review/ It has an annual fee of $450, but there are a TON of benefits that would help with kind of travel... 25k points after spending $2k over three months, which can be used to redeem vacations with agencies like Travelocity (and when you "pay with points" AmEx deposits 25% of the points you use BACK into your account); $200 annual credit for airline fees (checked bags, in-flight meals, etc); access to 600+ lounges around the world; int'l business/first class companion fare (expensive to buy the first ticket, but if you want to splurge); along with many other travel benefits and memberships. Worth a look...
Quote: This isn't set on a specific FF program, but you could try going for the AmEx Platinum card
:-: I agree with the Plat, but not for the reasons stated. First, do not sign up for less than 50k minimum. And then use the points to transfer as part of a well thought out plan (but first make sure their partners get you there from Philly, easily). The real reason I suggest it is the travel insurance, should anything go wrong - a real bonus given that it is essentially free the first year with the freebies.
no flights to mongolia?

train from/to dme/pek?

going into dme, out pek or vv might enhance the trip...
Quote: no flights to mongolia?

train from/to dme/pek?

going into dme, out pek or vv might enhance the trip...
Their plan was to fly into DME or PEK and take the Trans-Mongolian train.
So, either in DME and out PEK or vice versa.