MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:27 pm

New player on the Free Credit Score scene: Ratehub now offers EQ score https://www.ratehub.ca/free-credit-score
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
New player on the Free Credit Score scene: Ratehub now offers EQ score https://www.ratehub.ca/free-credit-score
Do they offer the service for people in QC as well? Others don't..., And if someone knows why exactly?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by matthieugd
Do they offer the service for people in QC as well? Others don't..., And if someone knows why exactly?
Nothing says they don't offer the service to QC residents
Old Nov 30, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Indeed it's working in QC. I have an Equifax account and the score reported in Ratehiub is way greater that the one on Equifax website... 30 points greater.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Couldn't get mine.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Holy jeepers.

Air Miles cancels expiry policy
"We have decided to cancel the expiry policy so that all collectors, regardless of location, can be confident that their balances will be protected," Bryan Pearson, president and CEO of LoyaltyOne, said in a statement.

CBC News article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-...licy-1.3877319

Flyertalk MilesBuzz! thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...l#post27553133

Last edited by jerry305; Dec 1, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:01 pm

They knew the Liberal government Bill 47 was going to pass and they just want to save face because they've been dragged thru the mud - as they surely deserved!
Old Dec 1, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Looks good - but just the score. I tried Credit Karma, which is the TransUnion report, and you get the full report like you'd get from Equifax, but it's formatted soooo much better! But this is nice, because now you can see both scores. Plus - this means I'll never have to deal with Equifax again! Sooo painful!

Last edited by pokee; Dec 1, 2016 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
1000 free Aeroplan points (targetted)

If you opted in to Aeroplan emails, search your emails for Aeroplan myth.
You might have received an offer to get 1000 Aeroplan miles for answering a short quiz.
I got mine November 25.

Targetted promotion only; it may or may not work for you if you weren't invited by Aeroplan to take the quiz.

More discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-1000-pts.html

Thanks to 24left for posting the image and margarita-girl for spotting the offer in October.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:02 am
Suspended

What brand of gas is the most rewarding?

Living in the city, I used to drive very little, <3k km/year. Now we've moved to a more rural area and I'll be driving much more so I'll be buying more gas.
I've been using Esso and earning very few aeroplan miles plus points from the credit card I pay with.
Shell's Airmiles don't appeal to me very much nor saveon more rewards unless there's something I'm missing with either of those two. Petro Canada? Husky?
I'm not too interested in getting a cash-back card nor would getting an amex gold with 2x points for gas & groceries, be worth it.
I've looked through the programs and I'm just wondering if I've missed something.
Are there any exceptional earning opportunities out there for buying gas?

Last edited by BenSenise; Dec 6, 2016 at 8:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
Living in the city, I used to drive very little, <3k km/year. Now we've moved to a more rural area and I'll be driving much more so I'll be buying more gas.
I've been using Esso and earning very few aeroplan miles plus points from the credit card I pay with.
Shell's Airmiles don't appeal to me very much nor saveon more rewards unless there's something I'm missing with either of those two. Petro Canada? Husky?
I'm not too interested in getting a cash-back card nor would getting an amex gold with 2x points for gas & groceries, be worth it.
I've looked through the programs and I'm just wondering if I've missed something.
You could get the Scotiabank Gold AMEX which comes with 20K welcome points ($200) and is free for the first year at the moment - it gives you 4% cash back for gas, groceries and entertainment. You can apply the credits towards any travel you charge to the card. This includes airport/airline taxes and fees on Aeroplan tickets as long as you charge it to the card. (Aeroplan booking and cancellation fees not included)

The good thing about this card is you can use ANY gas station and double dip with Aeroplan at ESSO, or Air Miles with Shell.

Last edited by imverge; Dec 6, 2016 at 8:26 am Reason: Added more details
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by imverge
You could get the Scotiabank Gold AMEX which comes with 20K welcome points ($200) and is free for the first year at the moment - it gives you 4% cash back for gas, groceries and entertainment. You can apply the credits towards any travel you charge to the card. This includes airport/airline taxes and fees on Aeroplan tickets as long as you charge it to the card. (Aeroplan booking and cancellation fees not included)

The good thing about this card is you can use ANY gas station and double dip with Aeroplan at ESSO, or Air Miles with Shell.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll consider this but my preference was to not churn a card and 4% probably wouldn't cover the annual fee.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
No exceptional earning ops that I know of.If you don't want an annual fee,RBC Esso Visa card gives 2 Esso points per dollar at Esso plus 4500 Esso points as a sign up bonus.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sailingman22
You can also obtain both a personal Choice Privileges credit card
and business Choice Privileges credit card. This is currently worth 24,000 points plus 24,000 points for a total of 48,000 points. Choice usually has a promotion going where you earn 8,000 points after staying at a Choice hotel twice. Check their website for specific details.
For Canada? AFAIK the Choice card is backed by barclays, for the US, no such card exists for Canada...
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by hearna
For Canada? AFAIK the Choice card is backed by barclays, for the US, no such card exists for Canada...
Sad but true. I used to have a Canadian Choice credit card, but the issuer (I think it was Visa) stopped offering the card. I loved it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.