MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
It matches your status… I'm SPG Gold through my Amex Platinum and was matched to Marriott Gold.
Same!

You’ve been upgraded! Because you are an SPG Gold member, you have been upgraded to Gold Elite status with Marriott Rewards.

neat.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Infintely churnable is a bit of a stretch no? Older reports I recall made Chase sound a bit more tight on time between cards. Has that changed?

In any case I'm lining up for my next Chase Marriott.
Boy, you guys are pedantic. Again, was just trying to say that this merger is a good thing as it opens up a whole new option for collecting SPG since the SPG cc options are a lot more limited than the Marriott cc options.
Originally Posted by Finkface
And in terms of earning, you can only get one SPG Amex (in each country, if you're eligible ), but Marriott cards in Canada are seemingly (for now) infinite. Opens up a whole new way to collect a ton of SPG.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
One SPG? What are you talking about? I have 2-3 on the go at once.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:58 am

Boy, you guys are pedantic. Again, was just trying to say that this merger is a good thing as it opens up a whole new option for collecting SPG since the SPG cc options are a lot more limited than the Marriott cc options.
i'm not being pedantic. i'm just asking a question. specifically if the chase card has become easier to churn. no need to get defensive. i appreciate the info you gave and just wanted to clarify something. it's important to know of the "churn cycle" as it will dictate the amount of times you can apply and re-apply for the card prior to the full combination of the SPG and Marriot programs. As it stands, I think at most you can do this card twice before then (i.e. sometime in 2018).
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
i'm not being pedantic. i'm just asking a question. specifically if the chase card has become easier to churn. no need to get defensive. i appreciate the info you gave and just wanted to clarify something. it's important to know of the "churn cycle" as it will dictate the amount of times you can apply and re-apply for the card prior to the full combination of the SPG and Marriot programs. As it stands, I think at most you can do this card twice before then (i.e. sometime in 2018).
Ok, sorry. Two other posters before you made the point that you can have two SPG - personal and business. As I said, the point I was making was that SPG has limited cc opportunites vs the Marriott cc, which, as of now, is easy to churn.

I myself have gotten a Chase (Canadian) Marriott visa with only a month gap between cancelling/reapplying. That was last fall. I think it is probably safer to wait 3-6 months but as of now, it is easily churnable.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Maybe things have changed but Chase I believe is instant approval for F-off. At least from my experience. I have a credit watch on my account my past fraud requiring a phone call to prove I was the one who applied. IMO this was why I was denied. They weren't set up/couldn't be bothered to call. And this was early in my churning activities so no reason to deny me. The only other denial was my 3rd CIBC Aerobiz... got greedy there...lol
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:40 pm

Chase Marriott is much harder to get approved for that SPG Amex? Not sure where the idea that it is more easily churnable is from?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
Chase Marriott is much harder to get approved for that SPG Amex? Not sure where the idea that it is more easily churnable is from?
I think what Finkface was trying to say was that, given SPG's once-per-lifetime bonus policy, that the ability to churn in order to get SPG points (indirectly) is greater with Marriott.

however...i tihnk the biz card you can get multiple times, no?

in any case..it's a good reminder of the Marriott card. To me, it's worth a lot more now for the ability to get SPG points. 50k = ~17k SPG for free, which is better than the Amex card.

alternatively, some people might want to check out the United Flight + Hotel packages. some good values there.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:35 pm

I think what Finkface was trying to say was that, given SPG's once-per-lifetime bonus policy, that the ability to churn in order to get SPG points (indirectly) is greater with Marriott.

in any case..it's a good reminder of the Marriott card. To me, it's worth a lot more now for the ability to get SPG points. 50k = ~17k SPG for free, which is better than the Amex card.

alternatively, some people might want to check out the United Flight + Hotel packages. some good values there.
AMEX gets you 30K SPG or 90K Marriott via self-referral for $ 120. 2 nights at a Cat 8 Marriott for $120 is a good offer.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by DealAddict
AMEX gets you 30K SPG or 90K Marriott via self-referral for $ 120. 2 nights at a Cat 8 Marriott for $120 is a good offer.
i'm not saying it's a bad offer. if I can pick up SPG points for 0.4c a pop, I'm all over that.

but the Marriot card = free points. just not as many.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:45 pm

i'm not saying it's a bad offer. if I can pick up SPG points for 0.4c a pop, I'm all over that.

but the Marriot card = free points. just not as many.
I have yet to be approved for a Chase card. So for me SPG is easier to get. I won't bother applying for the Marriott card since I might get rejected
Old Sep 26, 2016, 3:38 pm

And because of all this discussion, I just applied for my 4th Chase Marriott (in a 2 year span) this morning. Instant approval and my latest card was just cancelled July 5. So the churnability is alive and well.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:41 pm

And because of all this discussion, I just applied for my 4th Chase Marriott (in a 2 year span) this morning. Instant approval and my latest card was just cancelled July 5. So the churnability is alive and well.
Wow, that's quick (< 90 days) and surprised not rejected

I got declined after re-applying after 6 months even (as they said they could revive your old account within 6 months)
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:58 pm

Is Amex enforcing this for the personal card? Anyone get the bonus enrolment for the personal again recently?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Is Amex enforcing this for the personal card? Anyone get the bonus enrolment for the personal again recently?
I haven't heard...based on the experiences reported with the personal Gold, I'd assume it's a safe bet you can get the points again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.