MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by iamfrugal
Taking a survey: what is your shortest time between churns of the Marriott cc? I'd like to squeeze one more app in between now and my 6 month hiatus starting in late Oct. Can it be done!!
Originally Posted by Cerenity
i cancelled in January, was declined on an app in May. Applied again in August and was approved
Ha, I cancelled in Jan, re-applied after 6 months in Aug, got declined instead
maybe I'll retry in 2-3 months again

CC approval is YMMV as always
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Ha, I cancelled in Jan, re-applied after 6 months in Aug, got declined instead
maybe I'll retry in 2-3 months again

CC approval is YMMV as always
The very first time I applied (May) was just after being approved for a couple card (TU inquiries) and only the first statement was already reported to EQ.
The reapply at the end of June and was approved. The only thing that changed on EQ was the new accounts had been reported for longer and I paid off an MBNA BT (so my overall utilisation went down).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:46 am

Has anyone with the TD first class Infinite used TD points for a credit for a travel charge and then had to cancel the travel charge for a refund.....does the TD credit stay?

....also,has anyone used TD points thru TD Expedia and then had to cancel later....do you get a $$$ refund of a point refund?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by jubberly
Has anyone with the TD first class Infinite used TD points for a credit for a travel charge and then had to cancel the travel charge for a refund.....does the TD credit stay?

....also,has anyone used TD points thru TD Expedia and then had to cancel later....do you get a $$$ refund of a point refund?

Thanks!
They reverse EVERYTHING if you cancel
e.g. if you used 10K points (as credit), they'll reverse the credit and give you back 10K points
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
They reverse EVERYTHING if you cancel
e.g. if you used 10K points (as credit), they'll reverse the credit and give you back 10K points
Good to know...thanks Jerry!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
RBC Avios Visa has been updated to a 50,000 avios sign up bonus and no spending bonus except companion cert.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
On the RBC site, there is conflicting information:

"Receive a welcome bonus of 50,000 Avios upon approval."

"15,000 bonus Avios as a welcome bonus upon approval. Apply before Oct. 31, 2016 and get 35,000 Avios if you spend $9,000 CAD in your first three months"

Anyone have other sources of information?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by loun80
On the RBC site, there is conflicting information:

"15,000 bonus Avios as a welcome bonus upon approval. Apply before Oct. 31, 2016 and get 35,000 Avios if you spend $9,000 CAD in your first three months"

Anyone have other sources of information?
Doesnt sound conflicting at all - get 15k signup and an additional 35k after spending 9k. Makes sense they wouldnt have such a big offer without a spending requirement.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Doesnt sound conflicting at all - get 15k signup and an additional 35k after spending 9k. Makes sense they wouldnt have such a big offer without a spending requirement.
It sounds conflicting to Me.
1st Page of RBC British Airways Visa says this:

2nd Page says this:
"15,000 bonus Avios as a welcome bonus upon approval.
Apply before Oct. 31, 2016 and get 35,000 Avios if you spend $9,000 CAD in your first three months"

Is the 50,000 Upon Approval or after spending $9000
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
RBC Avios Visa has been updated to a 50,000 avios sign up bonus and no spending bonus except companion cert.
wouldn't be the first time RBC marketed their CCs incorrectly. I did contact them directly to inquire about the sign up bonus and there is a $9K spend to get the additional 35K in points (only 15K upon approval).

Last year i received an email directly from RBC pushing their Avion card and in the email stated the exact language:

to receive 15,000 welcome points and to be eligible to receive 15,000 bonus points upon annual renewal

I signed up as the annual fee was waived but needless to say i wasn't surprised when they said no points on annual renewal.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
The very first time I applied (May) was just after being approved for a couple card (TU inquiries) and only the first statement was already reported to EQ.
The reapply at the end of June and was approved. The only thing that changed on EQ was the new accounts had been reported for longer and I paid off an MBNA BT (so my overall utilisation went down).
Wife and I cancelled Cards in Jan 16' (second churn)

She reapplied in July, had to call in, was advised they would just re open her old account, Asked to have new card, they said she would have to pay AF.. she declined offer. After that i decided not to apply and we will both try again in Jan 17' just to be safe
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
It sounds conflicting to Me.
1st Page of RBC British Airways Visa says this:

2nd Page says this:
"15,000 bonus Avios as a welcome bonus upon approval.
Apply before Oct. 31, 2016 and get 35,000 Avios if you spend $9,000 CAD in your first three months"

Is the 50,000 Upon Approval or after spending $9000
agree it sounds conflicting ...

I guess the 50k is considered as welcome bonus, but it is awarded in 2 parts which include an upfront 15k, and then 35k if certain conditions are met.

Not familiar with avios points myself, is it a good deal considering there is a $165 annual fee.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
agree it sounds conflicting ...

I guess the 50k is considered as welcome bonus, but it is awarded in 2 parts which include an upfront 15k, and then 35k if certain conditions are met.

Not familiar with avios points myself, is it a good deal considering there is a $165 annual fee.
I phoned them. It is 15k for the welcome and 35k for the $9,000 spend.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99

As with most things...it depends.

The best value use of Avios is on short-haul flights that are typically very expensive. It used to be a YYZ - NYC flight, for example, would cost you 4,500 Avios one-way (vs. 7,500 Aeroplan) vs. a ticket in the $200 range (or more). Today, the point cost is 7,500 vs. a ticket will easily be less than $200. Plus, AA award space tends to be pretty bad.

I've found good use for my Avios on some recent bookings in Asia. ex-HKG on CX or Dragonair short-haul nonstop shorthaul flights. For example, I booked 4 tix HKG to Danang Vietnam. To buy then was $600 or so, which is ludicrous for a 1.5 hour flight.

So unless you have a specific use in mind that involves OneWorld carriers on shorthaul flights (Europe perhaps) then Avios is of pretty limited value.

Keep in mind too that you can acquire Avios very easily with Amex cards for next to no cost (or no cost).

So this card has limited value to most people, I think, especially considering the $9,000 spend requirement.

Perhaps the best value of this card is the 10% discount you get on British Airways. There have been recurring cheap fares on BA in business class to European destinations ex-Canada. A week ago, YYZ-Florence or Venice or Paris in business class for $1800-$1900 was available. Using discount you're at $1600-ish. Or in economy if you're flying your family or group you can easily recoup the $165 annual fee. But again, if you don't care to fly BA then this has no value.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
BW card with no bonus yet

Anyone have missing points with this card? Was approved and points showed up on first statement correctly but were never dropped into my existing BW account. Called CS and was told they were in limbo as BW account was not noted on account. CS assured they would be put in shortly. Still no points. Common practice or unusual practice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.