MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by peroorim
Did anyone receive the additional 40K Best Western points from the 60K promo that ended in July after spending $2000?

I am being told by a rep at MBNA that such promo never existed
I have a URL and screenshot but no way to provide the rep over the phone
They honestly better give us those extra 40K points. They offered that promo for months. How can they say now that they didn't offer it?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Did anyone receive the additional 40K Best Western points from the 60K promo that ended in July after spending $2000?

I am being told by a rep at MBNA that such promo never existed
I have a URL and screenshot but no way to provide the rep over the phone
I haven't gotten them yet... got the first 20k with first purchase, but crossed the 2k like a month ago but nothing yet.

I should probably call in and ask, shouldn't I...........

the first 20k also haven't posted to my BW account yet
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Let's not forget that the Amazon.ca card also nets 1% cash back

So you are already in the hole 3.5%
Or 4.25% if you use the Rogers Bank card (1.75% cash back).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by nabeelj
No, but I just tried it, and will report back.
Would be kind of stupid if it coded as a cash advance, given the intended purpose of the card.

(It codes as a purchase.)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:46 am

Just checked my Best Western account. I've gone through my first billing cycle and put about $1k on the card. Glad to report that 20k points have posted to my BW account (+points from purchases).

Will report back when I hopefully get the rest (I'm probably at $2k spending by now). Can't wait as I sort of feel embarassed using this card.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Can't wait as I sort of feel embarassed using this card.
I know this exactly feeling. Every time I silently pray there aren't any SPG Amex-wielding high rollers around to see me.

At least we're not using debit cards!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
got the first 20K cleanly, but remaining 40K is missing from the statement where i expected it. gonna wait a month and if still nothing, will call them
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Would be kind of stupid if it coded as a cash advance, given the intended purpose of the card.

(It codes as a purchase.)
Not really. Go into a CIBC branch and buy some foreign currency and also a pre-paid Visa gift card.Tell the rep you want to pay with your credit card.

Yep...cash advance.

It would be stupid to code it as a purchase.....real stupid.

Can you confirm that it codes as a purchase? If so, I'll take advantage of stupidity!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Okay, so this is not a miles offer, it's a cash offer.
But I think this fits the mold of what MilesBuzz! readers seek...

Tangerine.ca $100 signup bonus offer
http://www.tangerine.ca/switch

Tangerine.ca (formerly ING Direct) is offering a $100 bonus if you start a chequing account, and do one payroll deposit.

The $100 bonus applies if this is your "first" account with them.
*** I'd be happy to learn if anyone has received multiple bonuses from Tangerine for starting multiple accounts.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I haven't gotten them yet... got the first 20k with first purchase, but crossed the 2k like a month ago but nothing yet.

I should probably call in and ask, shouldn't I...........

the first 20k also haven't posted to my BW account yet
The first 20k should post to BW within day. Double check the account number and give them a call. My account number was initially incorrect.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first 20k should post to BW within day. Double check the account number and give them a call. My account number was initially incorrect.
I just checked and realized my SECOND month's points did indeed post - I don't remember if I called them about my BW number before or after the first month was due. Odd that the first month's point wouldn't post together with the second month - when I called they said there was NO BW number on record so the points can't have posted to the wrong account. I'll give them a call.

EDIT: Alright, the person was very much aware of the 60k offer. She said those points will post after the next statement, so I'd check the statement when you reach 1k/2k and the statement after, and if they don't post then call in. I also indeed only added my BW number after the first month so those points will now be transferred, as well as Gold status. All is in order.

Last edited by Smiley90; Jul 29, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canadian here as well, also only got 350. I'll wait another 24h or so to see if the extra 350 post, otherwise I'll e-mail them.
Quoting myself to update: Without contacting them or anything, the second 350 have now posted 5 days later, so if anyone else was waiting check your account!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:29 pm

Quoting myself to update: Without contacting them or anything, the second 350 have now posted 5 days later, so if anyone else was waiting check your account!
Same here, Canadian, 2nd +350 showed up, thanks
I'm now 15,677, (after redeeming 4x40K this year to use it up before 3/22 devaluation) ha... what to do
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Same here, Canadian, 2nd +350 showed up, thanks
I'm now 15,677, (after redeeming 4x40K this year to use it up before 3/22 devaluation) ha... what to do
Upgrade Y->J with miles!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Got my 700 AA miles as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.