Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by bmabnorth
What I am unsure about is how to apply for new MBNA cards but not increase my credit limit with MBNA (i.e., just spread out my existing credit with them). Their customer service is really bad over the phone.

Can I apply for, say, 2 new cards through GCR and then right away call to ask them not to give me additional credit?
Yes, I would think so. I did an online app, then called in and had them split a credit line.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bmabnorth
What I am unsure about is how to apply for new MBNA cards but not increase my credit limit with MBNA (i.e., just spread out my existing credit with them). Their customer service is really bad over the phone.

Can I apply for, say, 2 new cards through GCR and then right away call to ask them not to give me additional credit?
I found for my last few applications, they automatically spread out my existing credit from my other MBNA cards to the new applications. It was only when I cancelled that I called in to ask to make sure they move the credit from the cancelled card to one of the existing, active cards.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
I found for my last few applications, they automatically spread out my existing credit from my other MBNA cards to the new applications. It was only when I cancelled that I called in to ask to make sure they move the credit from the cancelled card to one of the existing, active cards.
+1
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Interesting news regarding Capital One Aspire Travel cards. Starting this month, we will officially be able to redeem our miles without tiers, or minimum redemption. We will also be able to partially redeem towards large expenses (e.g. 15000 for $150 off a $200 charge). This is great news!
and it is true

RFD (and I checked) reports online redemption on TRAVEL is now 2%, no tier, can be partial!!
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/capit.../#post23785653

Capital One Aspire Travel is now an even better card to have !!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan - SkyMiles - HHonors
Tangerine unveils money-back credit card

Tangerine has announced that it is adding a MasterCard credit card to its product offering as the no fee bank takes another step toward being an everyday bank.

The no fee card will offer money-back rewards, an automatic monthly redemption of these rewards and will allow customers to make online credit limit adjustments. The card will offer 2 per cent money-back rewards on purchases in two categories of their choice and 1 per cent on all other purchases, with no annual fee.

Tangerine is the direct banking arm of Bank of Nova Scotia.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:10 am

What do people think of the odds of applying for two MBNA offers (Alaska & BW), ~730 credit score, ~3 hard pulls in the past 6 months? Is MBNA particularly sensitive to too many hard pulls in the past 6 months?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
What do people think of the odds of applying for two MBNA offers (Alaska & BW), ~730 credit score, ~3 hard pulls in the past 6 months? Is MBNA particularly sensitive to too many hard pulls in the past 6 months?
You should be fine, as long as those hard pulls aren't all with MBNA. You might not get auto-approved, but calling in after getting a conditional approval or even a "under review" usually works.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
My wife got a hard time from MBNA. Got denied from the start.
She called once and was told she had too many cc apps&cancellations. It was only when MBNA sent her an app for a PRE-APPROVED cc did she call and try again. The 3rd agent (a higher up I guess) apologized profusely that she had to jump through hoops to get the card.

I had no issues getting the card with more cards/cancellations and make I make less $.

Go figure.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
and it is true

RFD (and I checked) reports online redemption on TRAVEL is now 2%, no tier, can be partial!!
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/capit.../#post23785653

Capital One Aspire Travel is now an even better card to have !!
Really happy about this now that it's confirmed!!

Going on vacation with the inlaws this winter, had the choice of paying part of the rental condo or the car, chose the car as its less expensive, but now that i can use the points even if i dont cover the full amount is even better!! Free (or almost) vacations!!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by WestAust
Really happy about this now that it's confirmed!!

Going on vacation with the inlaws this winter, had the choice of paying part of the rental condo or the car, chose the car as its less expensive, but now that i can use the points even if i dont cover the full amount is even better!! Free (or almost) vacations!!
Yeah, this is awesome. Now I can cover all of the piddly taxes I pay here and there for my Avios flight redemptions. Just did one for ~$29 COOL!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
What's the best sign up bonus on the C1 Aspire? On the website, it's 10K, but isn't there something better?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:16 pm

GCR has 75 rebate now in addition to the 100 buck sign-up bonus, but it was 250 until the end of September...

First year is not waived, so take the annual fee into consideration too
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:19 pm

At first, I was excited for that Tangerine card, allowing people who do not meet World Elite income requirements to get 2% on several categories. Then, as someone pointed out on RFD, there is actually a better alternative.
Turns out if you apply for the MBNA Rewards WE ($89 AF, FYF) but do not meet the World Elite income requirements, you may be approved for the Platinum Plus version of the card, which offers the same earnings (2 points/$ spent, redeemable for cashback) but no WE benefits.
It is not very well advertised on the mbna website, but if you read the fine print (bolding mine):
You understand that this constitutes an application for both a World Elite Account (“World Elite Account”) and a Platinum Plus Travel Account (“Platinum Plus Account”). If your application for a World Elite Account is not approved, then this application shall be considered as your request and consent to the opening of a Platinum Plus Account. The World Elite Account and the Platinum Plus Account have the same material financial terms unless otherwise disclosed to you in the Information Box accompanying this application. These Accounts also have similar rewards program terms, but may have different rewards earn rates, earn limits and embedded benefits. You further understand that the World Elite Account is a type of premium credit card (“Premium Card”). A Premium Card is only issued to a well-defined class of cardholders based upon individual spending and/or income thresholds, which may vary by the type of Premium Card. We will determine your eligibility for a Premium Card based on Premium Card requirements, which may change from time to time.
That makes the MBNA card a much better option for me!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:06 am

just got email from Cap1

• No more redemption tiers! 100 reward miles = $1 in travel so you’ll always receive full value for your reward miles for travel.
• No more minimum redemption requirements! You can literally redeem for cents.
• Introducing partial redemptions! Redeem on a portion of a transaction – for example, redeem half of an overseas flight.

Redeeming your reward miles is easy. You can deduct the cost of travel purchases you’ve already made on your card by redeeming your reward miles for an account credit.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Turns out if you apply for the MBNA Rewards WE ($89 AF, FYF) but do not meet the World Elite income requirements, you may be approved for the Platinum Plus version of the card, which offers the same earnings (2 points/$ spent, redeemable for cashback) but no WE benefits.
Redacted, see below. Indeed, unhelpful CS rep.

Last edited by barneyg_; Oct 8, 2015 at 11:01 am Reason: redacted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.