MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Did anyone apply for the TD Aeroplan Infinite offer with the $250 hotel credit? I just received my card and I will report back as to where the credit is as TD Visa Infinite customer service is closed now. The promo I'm referring to is: https://www.tdaeroplan.com/flyfaster
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by loun80
Did anyone apply for the TD Aeroplan Infinite offer with the $250 hotel credit? I just received my card and I will report back as to where the credit is as TD Visa Infinite customer service is closed now. The promo I'm referring to is: https://www.tdaeroplan.com/flyfaster
What is a Visa Luxury Hotel Collection property?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by scoobybpc
What is a Visa Luxury Hotel Collection property?
literally http://www.visaluxuryhotelcollection.com/

similar to AMEX, only

a) visa luxury works for 1-night stays as well
b) the hotel credit is 25USD, not 75USD
c) you get free breakfast!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 3:08 pm

Downgrade TD Aeroplan card to???? (plan to upgrade back later)

So my experience with RBC Avion is a pretty good one whereby I downgraded to the free RBC rewards card and three months later called in about upgrading back to the Avion card and getting 15k points (not FY though) successfully.

I'm just wondering if i can do that with TD and the Aeroplan card. I did cancel it, though, so I'm thinking of doing this down the road. Get the Aeroplan card, downgrade to something else and then several months later ask to be upgraded back (presumably for best public offer).

Just trying to figure out that "something else" part...could it be any no fee TD card? I'm fine with that.

I like this strategy as it avoids credit pulls and keeps the average age of accounts up.

Has anyone done this with TD?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 8:19 pm

Question(s) on RBC Avion - I have typically transferred points from this program, so have no direct knowledge of using the actual RBC Rewards points.

I understand that you can book E+ or J tickets so long as the value is under the threshold for the region you are flying in. Is the common way of doing so still getting a confirmation from RBC travel that you can book direct with another airline and then getting re-imbursed, or are the agents themselves able to do this now?

For those that have been reimbursed (I've seen threads when people get T+ direct with AC instead of T) - what is the process to get reimbursed?

Can one get reimbursed through a specific airline or OTA (in case of a multi-airline itin?)

Being that their fares are zoned (ie. NA-S. America) - has anyone been able to book a stopover that includes another zone (ie. NA - Central American (stopover) - S America - NA?) -if so, how does this "price" in terms of points? How about just a simple open jaw?

Any other nuances/tricks/benefits that I should know about not explicitly stated in their T&Cs?

Gracias.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Originally Posted by Smiley90
The Terms&Conditions don't mention anything about a limit, as long as you pay through the rewards mall.

So... yes, that should be correct. Either buy AA miles @ 1CADpm/0.75USDpm or buy Avios with a 1.5x transfer bonus that happens quite often @6.7CADpm/0.5USDpm

(well, ignoring taxes, which you'll have to pay and don't get bonus points on, I believe)
Did anyone try for the Turbotax offer on RBC rewards........? I did a purchase of $69.99...and just got 100 bonus points.....
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you call in and ask? I was worried about that... but it DOES say 100 bonus points per 1 dollar spent!

Are you sure you've gotten the bonus points yet at all?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:39 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Did you call in and ask? I was worried about that... but it DOES say 100 bonus points per 1 dollar spent!

Are you sure you've gotten the bonus points yet at all?
I just saw it now...sent them a secure message.....will wait for the reply before calling....!! I did read on Turbotax website before booking that I can cancel and get refund.....will cancel if not getting 100 points per $1.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunnyzip
I just saw it now...sent them a secure message.....will wait for the reply before calling....!! I did read on Turbotax website before booking that I can cancel and get refund.....will cancel if not getting 100 points per $1.
I've had points not post before, called in and they were like "we don't track what bonus there was... how much was there when you paid for it" and I was allowed to just pick an arbitrary number for my purchase :lol They're fairly generous when it comes to that. Calling is really quick, I'd just do that.

(and no, I didn't say like 50 which barely ever happens and definitely not for Home Depot, or I'd be emptying that place.)

Please let me know what happens! Thankfully the 100 points bonus is there til end of September.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:35 am

Did anyone try for the Turbotax offer on RBC rewards........? I did a purchase of $69.99...and just got 100 bonus points.....
I just bought a whack load....how long did it take to get your errant number of points? I think it is a lot less than the 30 days it says right?

I did a secure message as well and yes they are offering 100x plus no limit...so I felt safe with this answer.

Please let us know how and when you rectify the error.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dominick
I just bought a whack load....how long did it take to get your errant number of points? I think it is a lot less than the 30 days it says right?

I did a secure message as well and yes they are offering 100x plus no limit...so I felt safe with this answer.

Please let us know how and when you rectify the error.
Are you saying you got your 100x bonus confirmed, and not just 100 points? Mind quoting the answer they gave you to your secure message? Or are you still waiting for a response?

I don't wanna spend all the money only to find out it's 100bonus per purchase and an error on the website... If it's 100 per dollar I'm all over this.

Basically pay 250 CAD for a round-trip anywhere in the US, 400 dollar to Europe? 1000 dollars for a round-trip to Europe in J? for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:07 pm

Are you saying you got your 100x bonus confirmed, and not just 100 points? Mind quoting the answer they gave you to your secure message? Or are you still waiting for a response?

I don't wanna spend all the money only to find out it's 100bonus per purchase and an error on the website... If it's 100 per dollar I'm all over this.

Basically pay 250 CAD for a round-trip anywhere in the US, 400 dollar to Europe? 1000 dollars for a round-trip to Europe in J? for sure.
I just bought $300 worth of Turbotax products. I hope it is not 100 bonus point but 100 per dollar spent! Can anyone confirm if they have received 100x /$?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:51 pm

I just got the reply from RBC...they say its an error....should be TOTAL 100 points only. However they gave me the points (100 per $1) for goodwill.......I had a small purchase anyways...(I didnt want a bigger amount as I already have tons of points...!!).......So may be they are honoring for smaller amounts.....But may be YMMV going forward as they say its an error.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:35 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
So my experience with RBC Avion is a pretty good one whereby I downgraded to the free RBC rewards card and three months later called in about upgrading back to the Avion card and getting 15k points (not FY though) successfully.

I'm just wondering if i can do that with TD and the Aeroplan card. I did cancel it, though, so I'm thinking of doing this down the road. Get the Aeroplan card, downgrade to something else and then several months later ask to be upgraded back (presumably for best public offer).

Just trying to figure out that "something else" part...could it be any no fee TD card? I'm fine with that.

I like this strategy as it avoids credit pulls and keeps the average age of accounts up.

Has anyone done this with TD?
Yes!! I got transferred from CIBC last summer. Downgraded around August timeframe, upgraded in Jan and will downgrade sometime in the next month looking to upgrade again in Jan 2016
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got the reply from RBC...they say its an error....should be TOTAL 100 points only. However they gave me the points (100 per $1) for goodwill.......I had a small purchase anyways...(I didnt want a bigger amount as I already have tons of points...!!).......So may be they are honoring for smaller amounts.....But may be YMMV going forward as they say its an error.
Another member got it confirmed that it's 100 per dollar... I assume we have a serious case for getting the points or at least a refund otherwise... Since it so clearly states it on the website...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.