MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by winebug
For my next churn I am looking at the Chase Marriott, the TD Aeroplan Infinite and the Amex SPG. Fingers crossed, the 3 will go through in 1 day.

Looking for input from experienced churners here on the forum:

- should I do this as soon as credit score goes up, or wait a few days (how many) after score increase?

- should I do them in a particular order?

- is there a difference in success rate between application sites? (RFD, GCR, direct with institution)

- if an application gets denied on one site, proceed to resubmit on the other site or let be for 90 days?
1. there isnt anything specific to wait, but personally I try to keep to a rough 3 month schedule, and space each round of apps at least 91 days (13 weeks) apart

2. order only matters if one of the cards needs a clean 90 days prior to app. I think in Canada, only C1 requires this? Chase may be a bit more strict than others based on what I've heard/read, so I'd probably do that first if i was paranoid

3. I never tried RFD myself, but I never had any issues with applications from GCR vs direct. The only denial I got was recently due to a TD system glitch. I called in after and was approved over the phone (new card # showing in my TD account). I assume that can happen whether GCR or direct.

4. no, i would not resubmit from different sites. I prefer to call in directly to inquire about the denial. Sometimes its just a glitch. Sometimes its a soft denial, and you just need to move some credit around. If it is actually a real denial, then that tells me i screwed up somewhere, either applying too much or too close together. Never got one of these before.

We do 1, sometimes 2, applications every 3 months usually. Over the last year, courtesy of the HD credit security fiasco, we've been monitoring our Equifax constantly. I request scores for both of us every 7-10 days. We've noticed that 1-2 per 3 month keeps the score pretty steady without any issues. We'll get a small dip after the app, then a larger dip when that new trade starts reporting, then by 3 months, the score is fully recovered.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
TD use Equifax for credit checks, AMEX use Transunion and Chase mainly use Equifax but sometimes transunion. The inquiries on one bureau won't appear on the other (Except for Cap 1). Personally if I were applying for these 3 cards, I would do TD and Marriott at the same time on different browsers and Amex after or before. From my experience, I have done up to 4 Amex applications in 1 day and received only 1 hit on my transunion file. All approved. Some websites suggest Amex only does a soft inquiry if you are not approved.
If your score is 700 + more than likely you will be approved. Amex is a bit stricter with their credit cards than charge cards.
I don't think applying through GCR or RFD would matter when it comes to the approval rate. Your credit worthiness (score, debt ratio, number of inquiries etc.)would matter most.
Old May 26, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Was thinking of churning Chase Marriott as I had cancelled it last summer; however, I've read the fine print and it says only one-time bonus per person. Have people been successful in getting the bonus 50,000 pts. more than once?
Thanks
Old May 26, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by ciana
Was thinking of churning Chase Marriott as I had cancelled it last summer; however, I've read the fine print and it says only one-time bonus per person. Have people been successful in getting the bonus 50,000 pts. more than once?
Thanks

I think you still get the 50,000 points but you don't get the Category 5 free night on your second application.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:18 am
alc

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
Thanks
I think you still get the 50,000 points but you don't get the Category 5 free night on your second application.
More info on the following dedicated thread about Canadian Marriott VISA:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...visa-card.html
Old May 27, 2015, 7:33 am

Thanks
Yes, I've gotten it a 2nd time recently, minus the cat 1-4 certificate that 1st timers also get
Old May 27, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
Thanks
Yes, I've gotten it a 2nd time recently, minus the cat 1-4 certificate that 1st timers also get
How long did you wait between churns?
Old May 27, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
How long did you wait between churns?
just under 7 months between cancellation and application
Old May 27, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cerenity
just under 7 months between cancellation and application
Good data point! Thanks
Old May 27, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Thanks

Yes, I have got the bonus twice so far. Both times I got the Free Night and First time, I got 30000 pts. ( I appled when the bonus was only 30000pts. ) Second time I got the 50000 points.
I just cancelled my card. I will re apply in November ( it will be for the 3rd time). I will see what happens.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by mgn2000
Yes, I have got the bonus twice so far. Both times I got the Free Night and First time, I got 30000 pts. ( I appled when the bonus was only 30000pts. ) Second time I got the 50000 points.
I just cancelled my card. I will re apply in November ( it will be for the 3rd time). I will see what happens.
My experience with the card is pretty much identical.
Old May 28, 2015, 2:17 pm

Hey guys, a few questions as I prepare to churn a few cards (primarily the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and the Amex Gold Rewards right now).

1. I currently have an old TD credit card that's expiring in August 2015. Would I be better off (in terms of chances of approval) applying for the Visa Infinite online, or going to my branch to discuss opening a new credit card seeing as my old one is expiring? (It's the discontinued Rebate Rewards so there is no possibility of getting it renewed) I've heard that going into the branch its possible that I won't get the welcome bonus?

2. I currently have an Amex AeroplanPlus Gold from back when it was FYF; my first statement was August 2014. Will the annual fee post in the July 2015 or August 2015 statement? Am I better off canceling this one before applying for the Amex Gold Rewards, or applying first then canceling, or does the order not really matter here?

3. I also currently have a CC that I never use - it's an MBNA Alumni MasterCard that I applied for at the behest of a representative at my university. If I keep this card open without really spending anything on it, is it helping or hurting my credit and churning efforts? Will it affect my ability to apply for other MBNA products?

Thanks a bunch!
Old May 28, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05
Hey guys, a few questions as I prepare to churn a few cards (primarily the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite and the Amex Gold Rewards right now).

1. I currently have an old TD credit card that's expiring in August 2015. Would I be better off (in terms of chances of approval) applying for the Visa Infinite online, or going to my branch to discuss opening a new credit card seeing as my old one is expiring? (It's the discontinued Rebate Rewards so there is no possibility of getting it renewed) I've heard that going into the branch its possible that I won't get the welcome bonus?

2. I currently have an Amex AeroplanPlus Gold from back when it was FYF; my first statement was August 2014. Will the annual fee post in the July 2015 or August 2015 statement? Am I better off canceling this one before applying for the Amex Gold Rewards, or applying first then canceling, or does the order not really matter here?

3. I also currently have a CC that I never use - it's an MBNA Alumni MasterCard that I applied for at the behest of a representative at my university. If I keep this card open without really spending anything on it, is it helping or hurting my credit and churning efforts? Will it affect my ability to apply for other MBNA products?

Thanks a bunch!
For questions 1 & 3, call the number on the back of each card to see if you can do a 'transfer' to another product (so for your TD, transfer to an Aeroplan Infinite, and for your MBNA, transfer to a BW MC or another no annual fee card that gives you a good sign up bonus that you can use). Card transfers/upgrades/downgrades allow you to keep your current credit card account and avoids a credit pull to get a sign-up bonus! I just did this recently with RBC when Target closed down (transferred my Target MC into an Avion Visa).

Question 2: Apply for the Amex Gold now. You can either get someone to refer you (and they get a referral bonus) or you can sign up via greatcanadianrebates.com to get some money back. Once you get the card and start spending, then cancel the Amex AeroplanPlus. Reason? You'll keep your online account active with your other card AND you'll have a reason to cancel your AeroplanPlus when they ask. If your annual fee has already been charged - no worries - they'll reverse it. BTW, I am told you can cancel via the secure message on your Amex online account, which I've never tried, and probably won't try. I like instant human communication when I do my cancelling...

Have fun with all your new cards!
Old May 28, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyer05

Thanks a bunch!
Pokee explained well

2. No need to keep AMEX Aeroplan Gold
GCR offers $50 cashback for AMEX Gold application (25K after $500, FYF)
or work with someone (family/friend/FT/RFD) to refer you and still get cashback
Old May 28, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
The RFD TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite page mentions it expires on May 8th, but the page is still prominently advertised on RFD. Does anyone know if it is or is no longer valid? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.