MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by winebug
On the topic of Amex, posting to equifax and year of Amex influencing credit score:

Amex posted to Equifax virtually overnight. It has been on there now for 2 full business days.

It has had no influence on credit score - score remained the same even though the Amex says date opened 2003-11.

It says months reviewed 1 (even though there have been 2 statements in Canada and it is the second statement amount showing).

Should the months reviewed be 2 or all the way back to 2003?
Do charge cards from Amex not influence the credit score, and should they be credit cards to have an impact?
The score doesn't necessarily update immediately. I'm no credit score expert, but from what I've seen Equifax tends to adjust scores at the end of the month. Charge cards to have an impact.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:16 am

Plastiq

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I am quite new at this so this topic might have been discusees...but does anyone have any experience with "Plastiq" website. Apparently it can be used to pay by cc for things you normally can't.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by ep78
Hi everyone,

Sorry, I am quite new at this so this topic might have been discusees...but does anyone have any experience with "Plastiq" website. Apparently it can be used to pay by cc for things you normally can't.

Thanks!
I've used it before. Be careful because some cards will label it as a cash advance. Keep in mind there is a 2.5% fee for using their service.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:35 am

Thanks as always zer0k1!
So I guess there is no guarantee whether it will be considered as a regular card use or cash advance. In that case I would say it's not worth the risk.
Do you have any idea as to which cards consider it a cash advance? currently I have all three, amex (Glod), visa(TD) and MC (BMO)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ep78
Thanks as always zer0k1!
So I guess there is no guarantee whether it will be considered as a regular card use or cash advance. In that case I would say it's not worth the risk.
Do you have any idea as to which cards consider it a cash advance? currently I have all three, amex (Glod), visa(TD) and MC (BMO)
I believe it is just visa cards. I've used amex without any issue.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I've used it before. Be careful because some cards will label it as a cash advance. Keep in mind there is a 2.5% fee for using their service.
For 2.5% you can probably just buy the miles or points that you want/need.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
+1 if you are just using it to accrue points it'd not worth it
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
Not necessarily. It isn't cheap, but they do have many vendors where they charge just 1.99%.

Also, to buy the valuable points - alaska, american, spg - you are paying in US funds and as we know, the rate is hurting us. Alaska and American also charge HST as well as a processing fee.

For a quicker hit of points using a sale works better as they are deposited immediately but it hurts Canadians because of exchange rates/additional fees.

However, as a long term, gradual method to accrue points it is a nice option. I use it for SPG points with my Amex SPG card. Also, the Amex gold business card has partnered with Plastiq as a supplier so you can get double MR points on purchases. I'll move over to that once I get to my SPG points requirement for some upcoming travel.

Saying all this, my experience has been a bit of a struggle. Their website isn't polished and I have had a lot of chats with their tech department to get payments to flow. Also, Amex has its own problems. They indicate Plastiq is a supplier on their public site but you can't select them once into your account. I now have an arrangement where they need to process all Plastiq bonus points manually.

Anyway, just another view.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by tommy99
Not necessarily. It isn't cheap, but they do have many vendors where they charge just 1.99%.

Also, to buy the valuable points - alaska, american, spg - you are paying in US funds and as we know, the rate is hurting us. Alaska and American also charge HST as well as a processing fee.

For a quicker hit of points using a sale works better as they are deposited immediately but it hurts Canadians because of exchange rates/additional fees.

However, as a long term, gradual method to accrue points it is a nice option. I use it for SPG points with my Amex SPG card. Also, the Amex gold business card has partnered with Plastiq as a supplier so you can get double MR points on purchases. I'll move over to that once I get to my SPG points requirement for some upcoming travel.

Saying all this, my experience has been a bit of a struggle. Their website isn't polished and I have had a lot of chats with their tech department to get payments to flow. Also, Amex has its own problems. They indicate Plastiq is a supplier on their public site but you can't select them once into your account. I now have an arrangement where they need to process all Plastiq bonus points manually.

I did a quick search and couldn't find where the public supplier list is? Can you send a link?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
I did a quick search and couldn't find where the public supplier list is? Can you send a link?

Thanks!
Here you go:

https://smallbusiness.americanexpres...n/supplierlist
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:43 pm

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:18 pm
Suspended

you definitely have some valid points there. i have often found that the cost of manufactured points often brings down the value of the redemption to a level that isn't attractive. I'll check out your methods and reasoning though.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:23 pm

in Canada is it Chase Marriott/Amazon is the only 2 no foreign transaction fee credit card?

for FHR hotel access, is it AMEX Platinum and Business Platinum is the only 2 card have access?

with SMB any way to get 2+CC with AMEX ?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
in Canada is it Chase Marriott/Amazon is the only 2 no foreign transaction fee credit card?

for FHR hotel access, is it AMEX Platinum and Business Platinum is the only 2 card have access?

with SMB any way to get 2+CC with AMEX ?
Yes

Yes, I think

Not sure. I think Max 2 CC + Unlimited AMEX CHARGE cards
Old May 1, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Tried to get the Amazon Chase card through Amazon a while back for the currency exchange incentive. Figured it would be easier to get then the Marriott, and is also a no fee so could keep it forever after without AF for no currency exchange fee. I got declined however because not 1 year credit history in Canada.

Does anyone know Chase's full criteria for approving their cards? Would love the no currency fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.