MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Hah I doubt you'll get an answer so quickly here, and the sooner you call the better the odds
LOL, yeah, I think I'll roll the dice and call at lunch!

Edit: I called, and YES, cancellations of a points conversion/transfer are allowed BUT, only on the same day. Since I did my conversion yesterday, I cannot cancel. Bummer...oh well, it was only 10,000. But still....

Last edited by pokee; Apr 24, 2015 at 1:56 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Called Amex today, here is what credit department had to say:

As long as you ask for a new card inside the same range of cards from the one you already have, there is no credit inquiry. For example you have the gold and request the platinum = no credit check. You request the aeroplan reserve from the aeroplan platinum = no credit check. As long as you have impeccable history with Amex that is.

I've noticed they don't report to Equifax close to as frequently as they do Transunion ... Amex always pulls from Transunion.
Amex always pulls from Transunion and posts monthly to Transunion. Amex occasionally pulls from Equifax (for example when there is a warning or consumer statement, etc.) and post to Equifax only every 6 months. If you call the credit department and let them know you are with Equifax, they will post monthly from the next billing cycle also to Equifax.

Originally Posted by crimsona
Submit missing account info to Equifax (fax or snail mail). I had to do that when I had a split file. Might need to include ID though
They could not comment on how Equifax works in that regard, or which specific information one would need to supply to Equifax to get the information in there faster then the next billing cycle.

They did comment that it would be the starting month that will be provided for the starting date, but could not comment on which year will be posted (might be whole foreign history years, might be only this year, they were not sure).

Can anyone confirm, when you do the Amex Global Transfer to Canada to the gold rewards card, do your years outside Canada get posted for the age of credit?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by winebug
Can anyone confirm, when you do the Amex Global Transfer to Canada to the gold rewards card, do your years outside Canada get posted for the age of credit?
Yes, and even after canceling the Gold card, the age of my new Amex Simply Cash card also includes my U.S. credit history.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by winebug
As long as you ask for a new card inside the same range of cards from the one you already have, there is no credit inquiry. For example you have the gold and request the platinum = no credit check. You request the aeroplan reserve from the aeroplan platinum = no credit check.
I call BS
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:58 pm

On the topic of churning cards. I heard that it is best to keep a card for at least 6 months before churning. Does anyone know why?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by kenwood
On the topic of churning cards. I heard that it is best to keep a card for at least 6 months before churning. Does anyone know why?
For example, the T&C with the Chase Marriott Card says that they can take away your signup bonus if you cancel within the first six months. I just keep most cards as long as I can since that'll lengthen your average age of accounts, increasing your credit score.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I'm shortening 6 months to 4. I cancelled 2 gold cards at the same time (gold & aerogold) and the agent could not have been happier?!?! I do spend 12-14k/ month on my Aeroplat. Just did a spousal cross referral to the blue aero card, 2 referral bonus and 5k spend bonus got us 40k. The agent on the phone took about 20seconds to give me the card breakdown, must have been obvious what I was doing .

In regards to TD however...what a pain in the a$$. I told the biz manager TD is not highly regarded in the credit card space. Not that he could do/say much. I hope my TD biz Aerogolds show up soon as my CIBC Aergold's fee is coming due in mid May. 2 bank visits and my now bothers address (co-owner)on Equifax isn't correct? The bank manager had to call Equifax to fix, shame the card will only be good until I get the CIBC bonus in 11 months time.TD is nit picky in the extreme!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:55 am

Wrongly advised by RBC re Avion points

A while back, I downgraded by Avion to Gold Rewards to avoid the AF. RBC assured me I would not lose my Rewards points by doing so (I use them for AA / BA conversions). However, the Rep failed to inform me that the downgrade would eliminate airline conversions, so now I'm stuck with Rewards points for which I have no use.

Any advice on how best to approach RBC on this in terms of compensation? I'm wondering about asking to sign up again for Avion FYF, and get the welcome bonus. I don't mind a credit hit but would prefer to avoid.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
I'm shortening 6 months to 4. I cancelled 2 gold cards at the same time (gold & aerogold) and the agent could not have been happier?!?! I do spend 12-14k/ month on my Aeroplat. Just did a spousal cross referral to the blue aero card, 2 referral bonus and 5k spend bonus got us 40k. The agent on the phone took about 20seconds to give me the card breakdown, must have been obvious what I was doing .

In regards to TD however...what a pain in the a$$. I told the biz manager TD is not highly regarded in the credit card space. Not that he could do/say much. I hope my TD biz Aerogolds show up soon as my CIBC Aergold's fee is coming due in mid May. 2 bank visits and my now bothers address (co-owner)on Equifax isn't correct? The bank manager had to call Equifax to fix, shame the card will only be good until I get the CIBC bonus in 11 months time.TD is nit picky in the extreme!
I agree about TD, trying to get the last 10k points haa been a nightmare
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I agree about TD, trying to get the last 10k points haa been a nightmare
Ditto. They are unbelievable. I'm sure glad I get them to confirm everything in each conversation I have with them. Already had to get them go back to a recording to get my FYF fee reversed. The latest is my final 10,000 points can now be credited four weeks after the three months was up (even though I spent $1000 within the first three weeks).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:19 pm

GCR clairty

I think many people, including myself, are misunderstanding the GCR MBNA Alaska rebate. The old offer was a $60 rebate upon approval. However, the new and temporary $25 rebate is only for submission of the application, regardless of approval. This also means that it is maximum 1 per person (YMMV of course).

A rep also confirmed that they will be switching back to the $60 approval rebate shortly, with no maximum rebates per individual.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:35 pm

I think many people, including myself, are misunderstanding the GCR MBNA Alaska rebate. The old offer was a $60 rebate upon approval. However, the new and temporary $25 rebate is only for submission of the application, regardless of approval. This also means that it is maximum 1 per person (YMMV of course).

A rep also confirmed that they will be switching back to the $60 approval rebate shortly, with no maximum rebates per individual.
Thanks for clarifying. Wondered how I got the $25 while being "under review".
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Genouver
A while back, I downgraded by Avion to Gold Rewards to avoid the AF. RBC assured me I would not lose my Rewards points by doing so (I use them for AA / BA conversions). However, the Rep failed to inform me that the downgrade would eliminate airline conversions, so now I'm stuck with Rewards points for which I have no use.

Any advice on how best to approach RBC on this in terms of compensation? I'm wondering about asking to sign up again for Avion FYF, and get the welcome bonus. I don't mind a credit hit but would prefer to avoid.
You could ask for Avion, and transfer the points 1:1. I used to have the gold with them and upgraded to Westjet World Elite Mastercard, got 1 WJ$ for 100 points. The annual companion ticket sealed it for me. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:59 pm

Interesting development

I know for the MBNA Platinum 0% card, supposedly, the $50 RFD cashback is also upon submission and not approval. My $50 is pending, I have yet to receive the card, so who knows
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: CX, AF, UA
On the topic of Amex, posting to equifax and year of Amex influencing credit score:

Amex posted to Equifax virtually overnight. It has been on there now for 2 full business days.

It has had no influence on credit score - score remained the same even though the Amex says date opened 2003-11.

It says months reviewed 1 (even though there have been 2 statements in Canada and it is the second statement amount showing).

Should the months reviewed be 2 or all the way back to 2003?
Do charge cards from Amex not influence the credit score, and should they be credit cards to have an impact?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.