MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
I can confirm as well. It's one of the benefits of being a long-time Amex cardholder. Each new Amex card bumps up my average age of accounts value, and with it a corresponding increase in my score.

I'm not sure if you need to supply a previous Amex card number during the application, as you should be able to call and have the Member Since adjusted anyways. Also, some people hint that you don't even need to always have at least one card opened, though I have my doubts about this

See this thread for relevant info:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ber-since.html

JJJ
Just looked at my cards. My Biz Plat shows 2014 (got in Nov-ish), and my Gold says 2015 (got it in Jan). Shouldn't it say 2014?? I guess I'll call them. Could it have something to do with it being a Biz card? I'd assume not.

Edit: Just got off the phone with them, they told me it was a mistake and they will update my file and send me a new card right away! Also, they are backdating it to when I was AU last year, on a card that was closed almost a year ago. So I'm wondering if you do, in fact, need to have any Amex card opened in order for them to backdate it

Last edited by zer0k1; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:35 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Just looked at my cards. My Biz Plat shows 2014 (got in Nov-ish), and my Gold says 2015 (got it in Jan). Shouldn't it say 2014?? I guess I'll call them. Could it have something to do with it being a Biz card? I'd assume not.

Edit: Just got off the phone with them, they told me it was a mistake and they will update my file and send me a new card right away! Also, they are backdating it to when I was AU last year, on a card that was closed almost a year ago. So I'm wondering if you do, in fact, need to have any Amex card opened in order for them to backdate it
Good datapoint, zer0k1! The big plus is that not only do they update the cosmetic on the card, but also in the credit file. But, wait...as an AU? On a Canadian card? If so, I'd like to gift my wife with my Member Since date, particularly in her credit profile, as she's only ever been an AU, till she started churning cards recently. I thought the AU 'benefit' for the Member Since was only for US Amex cards. So, do tell how you achieved this. PM, if you'd like, thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:52 pm

I think the "Member since" it's just a recognized thing, it has nothing to do your credit file, since each credit card file age is separate, when you open a new AE card for 3 month, activity report will be only 3 month, it won't be start from 2009

Originally Posted by tng11
There might be dubious value to actually keeping that first AMEX for its credit history. I've found that every AMEX card I've opened since I got my first one (except business) has been assigned the Opened date of my first AMEX in 2009. In other words, if you open another AMEX and correctly enter a card number you already have where it asks you - you should get a opened since date of whenever you got your first card with them, and it's basically like doing a product switch since you still have that account age on your report.

I'm in the funny situation where the more AMEX accounts I've opened, the more my credit score has gone up as each card I have been getting has been adding to the average age of my accounts.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 pm

On my Equifax report, my Date opened for cards opened in 2014 show 2012 instead (but with the correct month that I actually opened it).

Number of months reported is based on actual statement cycles.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ecgz88
I think the "Member since" it's just a recognized thing, it has nothing to do your credit file, since each credit card file age is separate, when you open a new AE card for 3 month, activity report will be only 3 month, it won't be start from 2009
It absolutely DOES have an effect on your credit file. Not only does it list the OPENED date as the MSD, but also my Average Age of Accounts *INCREASES* when I open a new Amex card, with corresponding score INCREASE.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:08 pm

Milesbuzz: Canada

Just got an offer from AMEX giving me $100 when staying at selective Marriott hotels. min $500. I believe it is targeted
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Just got an offer from AMEX giving me $100 when staying at selective Marriott hotels. min $500. I believe it is targeted
Got the same offer - and before anyone asks, my (Plat) card was automatically enrolled, there's no sign-up link.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:23 pm

Does anybody had any luck with churning TD aeroplan?I cancelled mine in December 2014 thinking to apply again now.
Thank you
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:27 pm

Hmm I wonder if something can be worked out with Marriott GCs

Originally Posted by mitelsp
Does anybody had any luck with churning TD aeroplan?I cancelled mine in December 2014 thinking to apply again now.
Thank you
There have been reports of people holding more than one at the same time, so I would assume it is doable.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:31 pm

[QUOTE=zer0k1;24602623]
Hmm I wonder if something can be worked out with Marriott GCs

Maybe they are testing the market?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I doubt it's targeted (even if they say it is). I've never had a problem registering any Amex card for any promo.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I never keep an Amex card over 1 year. I churn them all but spend a decent amount so no issues so far.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mitelsp
Thank you
I cancelled mine December 12th and reapplied January 26th. No issues getting FYF / 25k bonus points (after 1k spend). I applied through the GCR link.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:32 pm

The Amex reps are pretty confident that the Member Since date is not reflected in any way whatsoever on the information that is reported to the CB
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zer0k1
The Amex reps are pretty confident that the Member Since date is not reflected in any way whatsoever on the information that is reported to the CB
To be honest, I think the Amex reps are wrong. My member since date was originally 2003, which was clearly a mistake as I would have been too young to have a credit card at that age and was never authorized on my parents accounts. I ended up applying for a BMO credit card, and they questioned me about the start date of my Amex cards and wouldn't grant the approval until I called Amex to have it changed (not sure why it was such a big deal to them...). The Amex reps said they could change it to 2009 quite easily and it wouldn't reflect on my credit report - later, all four cards showed up on my Equifax report as new accounts, and my score ended up dropping quite a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.