MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Capital One doesn't do product transfers, as far as I know.
I have never done it but I was going by the FAQ which suggests they can be pretty flexible:

Can I transfer these reward miles or cash back to another rewards program?

Yes. By transferring reward miles to your card from other Capital One reward miles or cash rewards accounts, you can combine rewards with friends or family members in order to redeem sooner.

Will I be charged a fee if I transfer my rewards to another Capital One rewards account?

No, you'll never be charged a fee for transferring rewards from one Capital One rewards account to another Capital One rewards account.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Amex cardholders can refer the same family of reward card to others.
For example:
- you need a referral from an Amex Starwood cardholder to get a Starwood card
- you need a referral from an Amex Mileage Rewards cardholder to get a Mileage Rewards card
- you need a referral from an Amex Aeroplan cardholder to get an Amex Aeroplan card

I was able to refer myself to the Gold Card. I just selected the Gold Card when they asked what card I had and put my Aeroplan card number instead.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
I was able to refer myself to the Gold Card. I just selected the Gold Card when they asked what card I had and put my Aeroplan card number instead.
Are you saying that you were able to refer yourself to the Gold Rewards card (MR points) and you received 10k Aeroplan miles?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:51 pm

TD offer + cashback

I noticed GCR added two TD travel cards to their cash back page.

TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite ($50 cashback on GCR)
  • First Year Free ($120 afterwards)
  • a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points ($100 towards travel), if your application is approved
  • Once approved, if you spend $1,000 in Purchases on your Card within the first 90 days of Account opening, you can get an additional 20,000 TD Points AND the Annual Fee for the Card for the first year will be reimbursed by TD
  • Earn 3 TD Points for every $1 you spend on Purchases using your Card (that's a 1.5% return on your Purchases)
  • min. income: 60k personal, 100k household

TD Platinum Travel Visa ($30 cashback on GCR)
  • First Year Free ($99 afterwards)
  • a Welcome Bonus of 15,000 TD Points ($75 towards travel), if your application is approved
  • Once approved, if you spend $500 in Purchases on your Card within the first 90 days of Account opening, you can get an additional 20,000 TD Points AND the Annual Fee for the Card for the first year will be reimbursed by TD
  • Earn 3 TD Points for every $1 you spend on Purchases using your Card (that's a 1.5% return on your Purchases)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I noticed GCR added two TD travel cards to their cash back page.

TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite ($50 cashback on GCR)
  • First Year Free ($120 afterwards)
  • a Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points ($100 towards travel), if your application is approved
  • Once approved, if you spend $1,000 in Purchases on your Card within the first 90 days of Account opening, you can get an additional 20,000 TD Points AND the Annual Fee for the Card for the first year will be reimbursed by TD
  • min. income: 60k personal, 100k household

TD Platinum Travel Visa ($30 cashback on GCR)
  • First Year Free ($99 afterwards)
  • a Welcome Bonus of 15,000 TD Points ($75 towards travel), if your application is approved
  • Once approved, if you spend $500 in Purchases on your Card within the first 90 days of Account opening, you can get an additional 20,000 TD Points AND the Annual Fee for the Card for the first year will be reimbursed by TD
Fighting against their own TD Aeroplan product line indeed
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Since when did anything from TD's Credit Card division make sense?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by barneyg_
1) What card do you use for regular spending? CapOne MC is the main card I use when I'm not trying to meet minimum spend on cards for sign-up bonuses.. 2% in unrestricted travel credit is a pretty good deal if you are planning some costly (>600$) redemptions.

2) How many points are you sitting on? I assume you'd be downgrading to the no-fee card to keep the points anyway.
Mostly the Amex Gold, and the Alaska card. And the point balance is quite low.

Capital One doesn't do product transfers, as far as I know.

I don't use mine much, but I do use it for things I want extended warranty on (other cards would likely be cancelled by the time I need it).

It is possible they downgrade the card in the future. However, you are guaranteed to lose it for good once you cancel, given that there's a defined replacement card already
That's all true.

Thanks for making me think about this a bit more; I might just keep it for the $20. I just wish we knew how long this will remain active as a grandfathered card.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:02 pm

Angry Alaska MC - GCR link broken?

Alaska Airlines MasterCard: $75 annual fee, $25 cashback from GCR 25,000 miles signup bonus, companion fare discount code (US$99 + Taxes)
I am trying to apply for the Alaska Airlines MC with the GCR link.

I am unable to go further than the first page of the application. After clicking on "Continue" I get a blank page.

I tried several computers and several browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

Any clues on how to resolve the issue????????
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

I am trying to apply for the Alaska Airlines MC with the GCR link.

I am unable to go further than the first page of the application. After clicking on "Continue" I get a blank page.

I tried several computers and several browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

Any clues on how to resolve the issue????????
Happened to me. Kept trying until it worked. Different browsers made no difference.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Are you saying that you were able to refer yourself to the Gold Rewards card (MR points) and you received 10k Aeroplan miles?
Exactly!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:32 pm

I've tried a few variations of self referrals with both Amex Gold and Aeroplan - within the same card families - with either little or no result. Next time I might try to do a self-referral outside the card family, but in the opposite direction you did, for sh*ts and giggles: using my Amex Gold Card to self-referral to an Aeroplan.

But, I've been reading a lot of posts that people doing legit referrals need to call in to get the Amex Gold referral points lately though, so maybe not a wise gamble...?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I've tried a few variations of self referrals with both Amex Gold and Aeroplan - within the same card families - with either little or no result. Next time I might try to do a self-referral outside the card family, but in the opposite direction you did, for sh*ts and giggles: using my Amex Gold Card to self-referral to an Aeroplan.

But, I've been reading a lot of posts that people doing legit referrals need to call in to get the Amex Gold referral points lately though, so maybe not a wise gamble...?
I pulled the self-referral trick last year, so I don't know for sure for this time of the year.

What is sure is that I was able to refer my spouse to the Amex Gold Card, from the Aeroplan Gold Card! I did it 2 months ago.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Next time I might try to do a self-referral outside the card family, but in the opposite direction you did, for sh*ts and giggles: using my Amex Gold Card to self-referral to an Aeroplan.
When my Amex Platinum wife referred me to Aeroplan Gold a year and a half ago, we did not get any automatic referral points (although we asked and agents said we would get it in 8-10 weeks - probably they were mistaken)

It took many secure messages, many phone calls, at least one snail mail letter to executive resolution, and a one-time courtesy from a supervisor calling back to allow her to get the referral MR points based on pulling up a recorded call with front line agents who promised her it would happen. All in all, maybe 4-5 months?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:01 pm

Question

When my Amex Platinum wife referred me to Aeroplan Gold a year and a half ago, we did not get any automatic referral points (although we asked and agents said we would get it in 8-10 weeks - probably they were mistaken)

It took many secure messages, many phone calls, at least one snail mail letter to executive resolution, and a one-time courtesy from a supervisor calling back to allow her to get the referral MR points based on pulling up a recorded call with front line agents who promised her it would happen. All in all, maybe 4-5 months?
Did your wife keep her Platinum account active the whole time with at least 1 purchase a month?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:04 pm

20k-30k per year annual spend, was primary card

It was her second year of being a cardholder as she was grandfathered at the $399 rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.