Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:46 pm

TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa - FYF, 25,000 points and $50 cashback

Great Canadian Rebates is now offering the TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa FYF with 25,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $1,000 in the first three months, and $50 cashback.

Just search for TD in the merchants on GCR. Happy flying!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by PrinceWilliam
Great Canadian Rebates is now offering the TD Aeroplan Infinite Visa FYF with 25,000 Aeroplan points when you spend $1,000 in the first three months, and $50 cashback.

good stuff!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
just throwing this out there for anyone who still has the TD Aeroplan VISA but was thinking of getting rid of it soon.

i cancelled my TD Aeroplan VISA a month ago after signing up for it in January, and it turns out they are giving me a pro-rated credit back for the annual fee, which i thought was interesting, since the offer back then was first year free (credit back after 2 months, which i did receive).

i had no idea they would do this and only noticed because i called in to check my balance, and there was a credit of $32 left on the gold card i converted the Aeroplan card to
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:14 am

Anybody know how often you can churn the TD card?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by JetLife
Anybody know how often you can churn the TD card?
The T&Cs from this latest offer indicate you cannot have an account (e.g. an Infinite Visa card) with them for the last 6 months to be eligible for the offer.

So as it currently stands... 6 months (assuming it's worth churning after this offer expires).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:19 pm

GCR website has been updated to reflect the status of MBNA cards :-)

http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/MBNA/

Will be back in November!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Question What to do with my AIRmiles?

*Mods I'm not sure if this is where to post...

I have an AIRmiles (AIRmiles canada I guess???) card since 1996. I've accumulated points everytime I shop at IGA supertmarket, cleaners and Shell station.

130k$ later, I have 6500 points. What should I do with those miles? It's not worth trading them in for airfares because the value of points is tiny compared to all the other mileage programs. And you have to pay the taxes on top of that.

So is there some type of trade to get value out of them? Do I trade them in for gifts (again another burn!)? Gift cards? Movie passes?

I would honestly prefer airmiles, but I honestly think thats not gonna happen unless there's something out there that makes sense...

Help?

Phil
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by PrinceWilliam

Is there any easy way someone living in the US can spend $1000 in Canada if I wanted those transactions to actually be in Canada?
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:04 pm
alc

Originally Posted by msp3
Is there any easy way someone living in the US can spend $1000 in Canada if I wanted those transactions to actually be in Canada?
You can get giftcard online. Some merchants can use their Cdn giftcard in US store too. But the exchange rate will not be good.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
These? https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Home

I poked around, and they can be redeemed for flights. I saw round trip in "low season" YYZ-LHR for 5500 points. YYZ-EZE for 6000 points. I don't know if that's good or bad relative to other redemption options. But if those are the points you're talking about, play around on the site and see what you can find. Also, to note, redeeming them for flights might get mileage-earning flights.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:25 pm

The best deals are for flights to the territories, or for shorthaul flights to expensive domestic destinations.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:33 pm

Aeroplan bonus conversion back. No big surprise that Amex points can't be used again:

http://www4.aeroplan.com/promotions/...ebup1000259_AE
Old Oct 27, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Depends on which province you live in as well.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:16 am

Does it matter where you collect your Air Miles?

I fly sometimes with partners of the Star Alliance, but not 1 partner in particular.

Does it matter where I create an Air Miles account and retroactively collect my Air Miles?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by ujjain
I fly sometimes with partners of the Star Alliance, but not 1 partner in particular.

Does it matter where I create an Air Miles account and retroactively collect my Air Miles?
Welcome to Flyertalk.
Yes it matters a lot, as different airlines even within * alliance have different rules for earning miles and status, how long status is valid, how the miles can be used for awards on that airline's flights or on other *alliance partner flights.
Which *alliance airline are you likely to travel the most on? How many miles do you think you will accumulate during the course of a year? May be if you give us some pointers, we will be able to help you decide

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.