MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
edited wiki a bit, removed some kid's referral RFD link and get used to new term, NFFY.. not free first year
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
edited wiki a bit, removed some kid's referral RFD link and get used to new term, NFFY.. not free first year
Thanks for the info. Do you (or anyone) happen to know if the Cap One IHG mastercard pulls from eq and tu as well (double-pull)? Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
Milesbuzz: Canada

yup double pull. Make sure you have had no apps for at least 3 months
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
X2 on this. Forgot I had a line of credit application in May (?), applied in Sep, automatic rejection.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
Originally Posted by roastpuff
X2 on this. Forgot I had a line of credit application in May (?), applied in Sep, automatic rejection.
Nasty! This is not a card I would recommend churning.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AMEX MR, Avios, Marriott, SPG, many more with negligible points
Maybe it should be NFYF, Not FYF, or non-FYF? I say this because we already use FYF for First Year Free.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:07 am

non-FYF sounds about right.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: *void
microcosm, thanks for policing. But, did you also report the referral RFD link and FT-member who made that change, to the moderators? That is a huge infraction, and totally against the current FT policies.

Personally, I don't like NFFY, but maybe it's just me.

Instead, why not list the actual $150/yr fee, like the other cards that have AF, mentioned in the wiki? In fact, the Aeroplan Plus Gold card should just be yanked from the wiki since it's not even a good promo right now. When (if) it comes back as a FYF card, then re-list it. For eg., the Amex Biz Gold Rewards card is no longer FYF, and so it too is now no longer listed in the wiki.

5c-J
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Instead, why not list the actual $150/yr fee, like the other cards that have AF, mentioned in the wiki?
I like this. Just list the fee and for those cards that waive the fee for the first year, simply add FYF. Otherwise it becomes too alphabet-soupy.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I like this. Just list the fee and for those cards that waive the fee for the first year, simply add FYF. Otherwise it becomes too alphabet-soupy.
Done.

Listed the fees for cards that were missing them. Some of us would actually consider keeping a card after the first year - speaking as an Aspire and Marriott cardholder.

The Alaska card doesn't waive the fee but the annual fee is also lower for an airline card (mostly offset by GCR). The companion fare alone is decent for keeping after year 1 if TD ever makes it much harder to churn for west coast cardholders
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by crimsona
Done.

Listed the fees for cards that were missing them. Some of us would actually consider keeping a card after the first year - speaking as an Aspire and Marriott cardholder.

The Alaska card doesn't waive the fee but the annual fee is also lower for an airline card (mostly offset by GCR). The companion fare alone is decent for keeping after year 1 if TD ever makes it much harder to churn for west coast cardholders
Excellent job. The list looks great! It really needed some updating. I'm still waiting to get enough posts to have permission to do some editing whenever appropriate.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Excellent job. The list looks great! It really needed some updating. I'm still waiting to get enough posts to have permission to do some editing whenever appropriate.
You need 90 posts, so only a few more to go!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:33 am

removed some kid's referral RFD
I just realized that you were talking of the link I added… You should really check your facts.

RFD requires to LOG-IN in order to get cashback. The link i used was a PUBLIC deeplink to the app, available on http://www.redflagdeals.com/cashback/. It takes you to a offer page, from where you will be redirected to the app page after logging in. If you're already logged in RFD, it will display YOUR tracking code.

When I copied the deeplink, I was LOGGED OUT from RFD, and using a PRIVATE SESSION of my browser, meaning no referral info could have been present.

If you know anything about how affiliate links work, just look at the parameters of the URL.
Code:
d=1985
is RFD intern reference for this cashback deal.
Code:
url=http://shareresults.com/t/url.php/cid/23273/sid/14105/affid/12373/acid/u1rfdcb-d1985
is RFD default affiliate URL to the Scotia App page. If you use only this URL, RFD will get a commission, but in order to deliver cashback to a member, they'd need said member tracking code, which is not present in the link.

For instance, the tracking URL looks like this when I'm logged in (tracking code censored in example below) :
Code:
http://shareresults.com/t/url.php/cid/23273/sid/14105/affid/12373/acid/u1c8#####################0eb
The tracking code is also displayed when applying while logged in. The default affiliate link is available if you click "I'm not interested in RedFlagDeals™ Cash Back".

So what I added was a DEEPLINK the the RFD deal, but it never was a referral link of any sort. I hope things are clear.
Now, I agree I should have explained here what kind of link I posted. It would have avoided any confusion, and I understand it was easy to be confused by this link.
If no one sees any objection, we should add the link again to the Wiki, thus it will easier be for FTers to find the cashback offer.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; Sep 11, 2014 at 3:56 am
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
for us, the Alaska card will become quite attractive if this rumored Costco switch from AMEX to MC occurs

1 point per $ is not amazing, but with Alaska points valued at over 2 cents, its one of the better MC rewards programs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.