Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
like poster said above, having variety is 100% key at this because they all suck, and shoot their Freq flyer point holders foots at every chance they get, so you need to learn to coordinate your movements. For example, use AP for mini rtw or something similar, then use avios to do relatively short 650mile 7.5k one way avios travel from that location (no fuel surcharge in north and south america). Need availability which Aeroplan doesnt really offer, but at reasonable redemptions for longer distance which avios isnt good for? Then use one of the american FFP's like delta which MR convert at 0.75:1 but worth every point if you need to make that trip. Even then if you dont want to be limited, you can still transfer to one of the programs to open up more options/better redemption e.g. to delta then to SPG at 1:1 instead of direct route of MR-SPG at 0.5:1

Last edited by microcosm; Aug 24, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
like poster said above, having variety is 100% key at this because they all suck, and shoot their Freq flyer point holders foots at every chance they get, so you need to learn to coordinate your movements. For example, use AP for mini rtw or something similar, then use avios to do relatively short 650mile 7.5k one way avios travel from that location (no fuel surcharge in north and south america). Need availability which Aeroplan doesnt really offer, but at reasonable redemptions for longer distance which avios isnt good for? Then use one of the american FFP's like delta which MR convert at 0.75:1 but worth every point if you need to make that trip. Even then if you dont want to be limited, you can still transfer to one of the programs to open up more options/better redemption e.g. to delta then to SPG at 1:1 instead of direct route of MR-SPG at 0.5:1
I am not aware you can transfer Delta skymiles to SPG. Could you please provide me with a link to this info? Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by prmetime
I am not aware you can transfer Delta skymiles to SPG.
There's a reason for that. It can't be done. Delta is a dead-end program.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I guess it's good Amex didn't run that 50% BA transfer bonus this year. Read View from the Wing or Milevalue to hear of the potential gutting of BA short hauls.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I guess it's good Amex didn't run that 50% BA transfer bonus this year. Read View from the Wing or Milevalue to hear of the potential gutting of BA short hauls.
Hence why they did not run a 50%. They devalue their program then run the 50% to try to make people believe in them again :S
Old Aug 25, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by prmetime
I am not aware you can transfer Delta skymiles to SPG. Could you please provide me with a link to this info? Thanks.
i misread the site as ive never done it personally and was doing research quite quickly for OP that asked, even then delta skymiles are great for all the partner airlines you can potentially redeem for, and best part is when theres a 20% promo going on, you can boost your xfer ratio (which usually exludes AP)
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Hence why they did not run a 50%. They devalue their program then run the 50% to try to make people believe in them again :S
i think people are looking for the usual 2 per 1 year 50% bonus but realistically theyre going to give out 1 which is near oct/dec.

2nd point to the guy saying BA is doing devaluation, canadian BA operations makes a VERY VERY small dent of BA Avios point holders, so no theyre not doing 2x this year (usually 1 july and 1 in nov/dec) because theyve given out too many avios to canadian holders. I personally think they dont give a frick because theres no one to compete with really, no other FFP offers transfer bonus in canada (even the only one is RBC AVION -> BA AVIOS 50%), so BA doesn't feel it needs to put up incentives like in US where other FFPs constantly have promos
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:23 am

FYI: Alaska Mileage Plan bonus now on:

Buy miles from August 26 – October 14, 2014, and you'll get more miles for less:

Buy bonus:
5,000 - 19,000 miles, get a 20% Bonus
20,000 - 34,000 miles, get a 30% Bonus
35,000 - 40,000 miles, get a 40% Bonus

Nice long window too!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:48 pm

If I couldn't double dip in the US, I'd be buying.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by tommy99
FYI: Alaska Mileage Plan bonus now on:

Buy miles from August 26 – October 14, 2014, and you'll get more miles for less:

Buy bonus:
5,000 - 19,000 miles, get a 20% Bonus
20,000 - 34,000 miles, get a 30% Bonus
35,000 - 40,000 miles, get a 40% Bonus

Nice long window too!
Any sweet spots in the Alaska program for Canadians?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:55 am

CX to Asia and beyond from YVR or YYZ, F or J to South Africa (although no F HKG to JNB), free stops on one way tickets in HKG
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cruban
CX F at 70K points to most destinations!
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:32 pm

Or my personal fave: Emirates 380 F on the shower plane, 90K one way DXB-North America! I say that direction b/c then u can spend ample time in the F Lounge at DXB, which is over the top great! Last time I flew that route it was just me, George Clooney and his fiancée in F. Serious.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cruban
lots. ek f for 90/100k, cx f for 70k, and qf f is decent although award space is near impossible. they also have a fiji airways chart which is cool. from canada ex-yvr flights are much easier since they allow you to fly alaska to the international north american gateway which thus doesn't require you to position. Toronto is a bit harder since there's no as service to that city.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by crimsona
Old news, TD bought out MBNA a long time ago, they're just finally getting around to merging their systems

MBNA's website is going down at the end of Sep, and e-statement users will be forced to paper statement until the end of October
So we can finally view MBNA cards inside TD EasyWeb?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
On milevalue you can now read this post:"How and Why I Was Totally Wrong about the Avios Devaluation". And I can't read anything on View from the Wing that predicts any Avios devaluation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.