MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by alc
Don't know which forum to post, so thought to post it on here as I am Canadian

I have a ~$3000 payment come up in early June that they do not take AMEX, only VISA/MasterCard. I thought about getting VISA or MasterCard gift cards using an AMEX, but those fee (Activation or something else) seems to be a bit too much. Are there any other suggestion for a good sign-up bonus? I didn't want to just pay it with my BMO M/C or CIBC/TD Aerogold.

Thanks.

I'd consider the National Bank World Elite Mastercard. Terms have changed since I applied.

They now offer a 30,000 point signup bonus. I believe if you spend $4,000, that'll earn you 6,000 more points, which brings you to 36,000. Redemption increments are 12,000 points = $100, so that spend should be enough to redeem to get you $300 in gift cards or a $300 TFSA/RRSP. There's a lot of free baggage and free airport parking benefits that can add up.

(You can also redeem for a lesser amount of points if you want to use their dedicated travel agency.)

Terms are here
https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticCont...t&showFooter=1
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jerry305
I'd consider the National Bank World Elite Mastercard. Terms have changed since I applied.

They now offer a 30,000 point signup bonus. I believe if you spend $4,000, that'll earn you 6,000 more points, which brings you to 36,000. Redemption increments are 12,000 points = $100, so that spend should be enough to redeem to get you $300 in gift cards or a $300 TFSA/RRSP. There's a lot of free baggage and free airport parking benefits that can add up.

(You can also redeem for a lesser amount of points if you want to use their dedicated travel agency.)

Terms are here
https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticCont...t&showFooter=1
I may be interested to get this card for the welcome bonus (and because I hate National Bank). Where does it say that you need to spend $4000 to get the welcome bonus ?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I may be interested to get this card for the welcome bonus (and because I hate National Bank). Where does it say that you need to spend $4000 to get the welcome bonus ?
You don't need to spend $4000 to get the welcome bonus.
But you do need to spend $4000 (I believe) to get enough additional points to be able to use all of the welcome bonus.

You get 30,000 points for signing up.
But points (generally) must be used in 12,000 point increments.
$1 in spend = 1.5 points.

If you only spend, say, $1000, on the card, you'll have 1.5 x 1000 + 30,000 = 31,500 points, and you'll only be able to use 24,000 points = $200 value.
The remaining points go unused.

If you spend $4000 over the first year, you'll be able to use 1.5 x 4000 + 30,000 = 36,000 points = $300 value.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
MBNA is such a pain in the @ss. Denied!!!! I'll call when I feel up to it. No other issuer gives me such a hard time.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
MBNA is such a pain in the @ss. Denied!!!! I'll call when I feel up to it. No other issuer gives me such a hard time.
They jerked us around too. Silently reduced our other MBNA cards credit limits to approve our new cards, yet the over total limits are now less than what they were before applying for our most recent cards. Eg, CC#1 had $15K limit. After applying for a new card, and with no interaction with MBNA, I log onto MBNA.ca to find that CC#1 has now been reduced to $6K, and new CC#2 has limit of $5K, for total of $11K. What happened to the other $4K? Robbers!

Anyways, I thought your issues were because you had some 'notoriety' flag on your credit bureau files.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
After applying for a new card, and with no interaction with MBNA, I log onto MBNA.ca to find that CC#1 has now been reduced to $6K, and new CC#2 has limit of $5K, for total of $11K. What happened to the other $4K?
My guess is that realize they lose money on churners, so they're taking steps to reduce that customer base.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by JJonahJ

Anyways, I thought your issues were because you had some 'notoriety' flag on your credit bureau files.
I do. Thanks to the $21,000 fraud on a CIBC biz card well over 10 years ago.

But I did answer all the credit bureau questions correctly, they just like to give me a hard time. The last time I called they accused me of credit seeking on a 3rd Alaska card. As you know I got the card and an apology letter a few weeks later. PC recently gave me 10k on their MC I only use for Loblaws. It's probably the 6card apps in the last 4 months giving their system indigestion.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Question regarding the RBC British Airways Visa: How long does it take for Avios points earned in a billing cycle (and showing in the statement) to be deposited in the Avios account ?

DP: I got an RBC British Airways card and completed the $9K spend in the first billing cycle. the statement shows that I earned the 50K promo points plus the Avios spend from spend
Old Mar 23, 2017, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Question regarding the RBC British Airways Visa: How long does it take for Avios points earned in a billing cycle (and showing in the statement) to be deposited in the Avios account ?

DP: I got an RBC British Airways card and completed the $9K spend in the first billing cycle. the statement shows that I earned the 50K promo points plus the Avios spend from spend
it usually takes 2-3 days for me.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:39 am

Best Costco Mastercard?

Am an American who lives in Ontario part-time; what is best Mastercard to get to use at Canadian Costco stores? I would like to get one that provides frequent flyer miles if possible. I have a Visa for the US Costco shopping.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BenSenise
it usually takes 2-3 days for me.
you were right
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by XFed2001
Am an American who lives in Ontario part-time; what is best Mastercard to get to use at Canadian Costco stores? I would like to get one that provides frequent flyer miles if possible. I have a Visa for the US Costco shopping.
US Costco cash cards and US MasterCards work perfectly fine in Canada. Unless you have Canadian income, you'll need to exchange money to pay the bill anyways, which has its own costs.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by XFed2001
If you can apply for credit, may I suggest the Alaska MBNA card. See wiki above. You get 1 mile per C$1.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:58 pm

Is anybody having issues with sending Amex referrals right now?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ft531
Is anybody having issues with sending Amex referrals right now?
nope

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.