MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 11:59 am

TD Aeroplan Infinite

Jerry the link you posted for the TD Aeroplan card in the wiki didnèt work for me. I applied and got approved but I call yesterday asking about my rebate (i didnèt realize it was a rebate not a waiver), because is was charged. They said there was no promotional code on my account, so i would be charged full annual fee. I showed them your link and the landing page. They are investigating but said it needs a code.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by simbaloluka
Jerry the link you posted for the TD Aeroplan card in the wiki didnèt work for me. I applied and got approved but I call yesterday asking about my rebate (i didnèt realize it was a rebate not a waiver), because is was charged. They said there was no promotional code on my account, so i would be charged full annual fee. I showed them your link and the landing page. They are investigating but said it needs a code.
I don't think I posted the TD link in Wiki
One shouldn't rely on Wiki to be the latest/greatest offer

My RFD thread does that, or at least link to the correct threads
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/jerry...g-faq-1685293/

newest offer is
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/td-ae...0-399-2038226/

maybe ask TD to match/give you that offer instead?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:43 pm

RBC Visa‡ Business Platinum Avion® card. Get 20,000 bonus RBC Rewards points (value of up to $350) and your first year’s $120 annual fee waived

Have to be Bell Small business Client.

http://www.rbc.com/bellbusinessadvantage

https://advantage.bell.ca/en/partner...ss-credit-card
Old Oct 1, 2016, 7:48 pm

Hi folks,

I have just recently moved over here from Germany to Toronto and still have to find my own strategy here in terms of rewards etc.

This is the only thread so far I have found that targets at Canadian travellers. What other threads can you recommend? I am mostly interested in airline bonus programs.

Thanks a lot!
Stephan
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stan64
This is the only thread so far I have found that targets at Canadian travellers. What other threads can you recommend? I am mostly interested in airline bonus programs.
I'd recommend getting familar with the Air Canada and WestJet fora, because if you're travelling within Canada, it's most likely going to be with one of those. There are other small airlines, but AC and WS are the elephants in the room.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So uhm

I got 80k from the BW Signup. Not just the 60k (which in itself was already a great offer). I won't complain Anyone else got more than expected?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by stan64
Hi folks,

I have just recently moved over here from Germany to Toronto and still have to find my own strategy here in terms of rewards etc.

Thanks a lot!
Stephan
You have the one about Amex cards in Canada:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2016-a.html

And one targeted to TD Bank, the main CC partner along with CIBC for Aeroplan:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...edit-card.html
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by Smiley90
So uhm

I got 80k from the BW Signup. Not just the 60k (which in itself was already a great offer). I won't complain Anyone else got more than expected?
I got a lot LESS than expected, does that count for something???
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Have you waited for the points from your third statement to be transferred?

I got 20k first purchase
20k 3rd statement
Another 40k 4th statement

So who knows!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Same here. I only got 40k. I called in last week and the rep manually added the other 20k. It was weird as she asked me how many were missing and I said 20k. She said ok, and added them. I could have said anything. And I noticed as I was talking to her that my application date was July 19 and looking back at the offer, it expired July 10. Oops.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Have you waited for the points from your third statement to be transferred?

I got 20k first purchase
20k 3rd statement
Another 40k 4th statement

So who knows!
Hmm, I am only at statement 2. Here's hoping.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:14 pm

Westjet announced details of their fast track to Silver (after $1,000 qualifying WS spend) and Gold (after $1,500) status.
WestJet wants to put you on the Fast Track.

Enjoy Silver or Gold flight benefits through December 2017 when you register for this promotion and achieve one of the following:

Get Silver flight benefits with minimum $1,000 qualifying flight spend on flights flown between October 3 and December 18, 2016,*
or
Get Gold flight benefits with minimum $1,500 qualifying flight spend on flights flown between October 3 and December 18, 2016.*
or

The fastest way to get top tier flight benefits on WestJet? It’s this card.

This year, if you have a WestJet RBC® World Elite MasterCard,‡ it will be even easier to enjoy top tier status with WestJet Rewards with a requirement of only $500 in qualifying flight spend to achieve Silver and $1,000 in qualifying flight spend to get Gold for cardholders.

Not a WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard cardholder? Get yours today and you’ll enjoy:

Welcome bonus of 250 WestJet dollars^
An annual companion round-trip voucher anywhere WestJet flies - redeem for your choice of destination:
$99 for travel to Canada and the continental U.S. (plus taxes, fees and charges)^
$299 for travel to/from Hawaii, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean (plus taxes, fees and charges)^
$399 for travel to/from Europe (plus taxes, fees and charges)^
First checked bag free for you and up to 8 guests on the same reservation†
Details at westjet.com/fasttrack.

RBC Westjet Rewards WE MasterCard get a $500 head start on the qualifying dollars (so $500 for Silver, $1000 for Gold).
Also note that the fast track is only for flights benefits (free bags, advance boarding, etc…): all the milestone awards (free companion vouchers, lounge passes, seat selection vouchers, …) and earning bonus are not tied to your Gold and Silver status but to your regular qualifying spend.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:56 am

Warning to others. I'm on the phone with best western/mbna to activate the 40K best west card from the offer above, and they're trying to impose the following conditions: 20K pts on first purchase, and 20K pts after spending 1K and holding the account open for 150 days. I applied through the link in the header above and the terms are "Earn 40,000 Best Western Rewards® points†† on your first purchase – qualifying you for two free nights".

"†† To qualify for this offer, an applicant must be approved for the specific credit card account described in the offer. The account must be used for at least one eligible transaction that is not subsequently rescinded, the subject of a charge back request or otherwise disputed. Please allow 8–10 weeks from the transaction date for bonus points to be posted to your points account. Limit one-time bonus point offer (no cash value) per new account. This promotion is offered by MBNA and Best Western and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice."

I even spelled out the application website URL to the CSR and she saw it said 40K on first purchase. They're saying I have a different card/application. We'll see how it turns out. It's being escalated to management and they are supposed to call back within a week with a resolution.

Update: After about 10 minutes I got a call back and it was confirmed that I get 40K after 1st spend which matches what was in the online application.

Last edited by wpgpoints; Oct 5, 2016 at 11:18 am Reason: poor grammar 1st edit, and resolution added 2nd
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by wpgpoints
Warning to others. I'm on the phone with best western/mbna to activate the 40K best west card from the offer above, and they're trying to impose the following conditions: 20K pts on first purchase, and 20K pts after spending 1K and holding the account open for 150 days. I applied through the link in the header above and the terms are "Earn 40,000 Best Western Rewards® points†† on your first purchase – qualifying you for two free nights".

"†† To qualify for this offer, an applicant must be approved for the specific credit card account described in the offer. The account must be used for at least one eligible transaction that is not subsequently rescinded, the subject of a charge back request or otherwise disputed. Please allow 8–10 weeks from the transaction date for bonus points to be posted to your points account. Limit one-time bonus point offer (no cash value) per new account. This promotion is offered by MBNA and Best Western and may be amended or cancelled at any time without notice."

I even spelled out the application website URL to the CSR and she saw it said 40K on first purchase. They're saying I have a different card/application. We'll see how it turns out. It's being escalated to management and they are supposed to call back within a week with a resolution.

Update: After about 10 minutes I got a call back and it was confirmed that I get 40K after 1st spend which matches what was in the online application.
If anyone has the same issue tell them you will be contacting the bank ombudsman's office.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by imverge
If anyone has the same issue tell them you will be contacting the bank ombudsman's office.
Well I am still waiting for my additional 40000 points from the 60000 application promotion. It has been around 4 cycles by now. I was told to expect it in 150 days. Strange company. And it seems Best Western rewards change the rules and the website again for worse. Status is based on points from hotel stays and no other point accumulation.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Well I am still waiting for my additional 40000 points from the 60000 application promotion. It has been around 4 cycles by now. I was told to expect it in 150 days. Strange company. And it seems Best Western rewards change the rules and the website again for worse. Status is based on points from hotel stays and no other point accumulation.
I see the 40000 points in the rewards section of the online credit card account (Oct 1 posting) but these have not been transferred to the BWR account, will that happen at the next statement date?

15/07/2016

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Oct 7, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.