Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyer05
How strict are CIBC with approvals? I know plenty of people have gotten multiple approvals on the Aerogold Business, but last time I got rejected for it. If I'm looking to apply for this card as well as an Amex card on my next cycle, would it be advisable to do CIBC first, then Amex, since Amex is known to be ultra-lenient with approvals?
yes that's what i would do at least.

did you apply for other cards prior to the CIBC one? did they give a reason for rejection?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:27 am

TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite gets you 30k points. Jubberly posted in the dedicated TD Aeroplan thread in the AC/Aeroplan section. Via RFD.

I also noticed the Privilege version is offering 55k. 25k for sign-up, 25k for spending $1000 in 90 days and 5k to add an authorized user. $399 annual fee.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by flyer05
How strict are CIBC with approvals? I know plenty of people have gotten multiple approvals on the Aerogold Business, but last time I got rejected for it. If I'm looking to apply for this card as well as an Amex card on my next cycle, would it be advisable to do CIBC first, then Amex, since Amex is known to be ultra-lenient with approvals?
CIBC pulls from Equifax. Amex hits up your TU profile. So, if you're applying within days of each other, it shouldn't make a difference, since they normally won't pull the other bureau to see your recent credit enquiries.

For churning CIBC, I'm one of the multi-players...if you'd like I can send you some info in private, away from the prying eyes of the CIBC moles.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Cerenity
I actually just went down that path so I can give you a confirmed answer in the next few months (just received card, working on the spend, havent gotten 1st statement yet).

I talked to their branch staff and call center agents and they seem to actually suggest doing this , since their offers arent applicable to product transfers, so they recommend to apply for a new card to get the promo miles. They also seemed to agree with me that if i downgrade my existing World Elite prior, the premium plan fee waiver will cover the new AM World Elite's AF.

Also, I've gotten the bonuses twice at least for BMO World Elite, including a mistake double bonus the first time (60K points), but 3rd time didnt seem to work (last year). Might just need to wait longer for repeat product attempts...
^^

Awesome, good to know... thank you for that tidbit. I'm not a hardcore AM collector but if I can get the 3K welcome bonus (or something similarly generous) then I might take the offer given that I will need a BMO MC anyway to get the 25% booking discount. I just cancelled my World Elite so I might wait 6-12 months before going for the Air Miles World Elite.

On the product transfer thing, my wife had the regular BMO MC (the $99 one, can't recall the exact name) and she was given an offer by postal mail of 1K AMs after spending $3,000 in 3 months to upgrade to the BMO World Elite MC for $120. I suggested that she take it as we have more AM bookings in our near future, but that she try to convince them to give her 3K AMs instead (which is the offer for new signups). They refused, but we took the deal anyway as the alternative was to keep the $99 card with no bonus. So if you consider that a bonus on a product transfer, then it is possible.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by heraclitus
^^

Awesome, good to know... thank you for that tidbit. I'm not a hardcore AM collector but if I can get the 3K welcome bonus (or something similarly generous) then I might take the offer given that I will need a BMO MC anyway to get the 25% booking discount. I just cancelled my World Elite so I might wait 6-12 months before going for the Air Miles World Elite.

On the product transfer thing, my wife had the regular BMO MC (the $99 one, can't recall the exact name) and she was given an offer by postal mail of 1K AMs after spending $3,000 in 3 months to upgrade to the BMO World Elite MC for $120. I suggested that she take it as we have more AM bookings in our near future, but that she try to convince them to give her 3K AMs instead (which is the offer for new signups). They refused, but we took the deal anyway as the alternative was to keep the $99 card with no bonus. So if you consider that a bonus on a product transfer, then it is possible.
As a BMO shareholder, I'm happy to hear that

Otherwise, there are easier ways to get AM unless you already own the AMEX Air Miles Platinum (2000 AM after $500 spending, FYF) + $30 GCR cashback
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerryhung
As a BMO shareholder, I'm happy to hear that

Otherwise, there are easier ways to get AM unless you already own the AMEX Air Miles Platinum (2000 AM after $500 spending, FYF) + $30 GCR cashback
I agree, just that with a family of 4 the 25% AM redemption discount adds up to big points.

In my case I've done the Amexes to death so I need to look elsewhere anyway
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
I wonder if you need to pay fuel surcharges to London...
Looking at a random YVR-LGW fare in July, BF is 2000+, YQ is $15 and taxes are $207.71.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Looking at a random YVR-LGW fare in July, BF is 2000+, YQ is $15 and taxes are $207.71.
I thought that was a typo you made. then I checked and saw a few pushing 2000. What a joke.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:37 pm

Up-thread there were a few folks indicating issues with Best Western linking their BW Rewards account number to the 40K MBNA Best Western points bonus. Is the general consensus that it is best to apply for the MBNA with a pre-existing Best Western Rewards account, or just sign up for one at time of applying for the card?
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:52 pm

How long does it take for ppl with zero credit history to be able to get a good card?

I will be moving from the US to Canada in a few months. In the US, I remembered it took me 3 months to get Discover IT for student and 6 months to get my first AMEX. Then, I can start churning at about 1 year.
My question is: how does it work in Canada? I will have a good income and I will get my first credit card right after I arrive through Scotia Bank "StartRight Program" (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2468,00.html). After that, how long should I wait until start applying for other cards?
Thank you,
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by godsquare
How long does it take for ppl with zero credit history to be able to get a good card?

I will be moving from the US to Canada in a few months. In the US, I remembered it took me 3 months to get Discover IT for student and 6 months to get my first AMEX. Then, I can start churning at about 1 year.
My question is: how does it work in Canada? I will have a good income and I will get my first credit card right after I arrive through Scotia Bank "StartRight Program" (http://www.scotiabank.com/ca/en/0,,2468,00.html). After that, how long should I wait until start applying for other cards?
Thank you,
I suggest using AMEX's Global Transfer to get one going for AMEX Canada first
Hopefully you get the AMEX offers too (e.g. 25K on Gold, FYF; 40K on Biz Gold, FYF, etc...)

AMEX Global Transfer (Canada -> USA) - Don't Call the Airline!
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/08...rience-can-us/

American Express - Moving Abroad - Global Card Transfer
https://www.americanexpress.com/global-card-transfers/
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
What is BF?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
What is BF?
Base Fare
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:27 am

Thank you,
Definitely go through amex global transfer. I think there's a cap of one card through the program and you won't get the improved sign-up bonuses (although the gold rewards has the same bonus publicly anyways).

Alternatively you might want to pick up a no annual fee amex through global transfer to anchor your credit report. No Canadian equivalent to the everyday, best would just be the simply cash with 1.25 percent cashback
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 am

Thank you,
As a newcomer myself, here's some feedback:
I applied for an Amex Gold through global transfer. Amex will make you through ID verification. In my case, I had to mail a personalized cheque.
Most banks will allow newcomers to apply for a credit card. At the time, applied for the Scene Visa. Got a decent unsecured limit based on income. Most Scotia cards are available for newcomers, based on income requirements.
I will go meet a CIBC rep this month and see if I would qualify for the new Dividend Platinum Visa (4% Cashback on purchases for 6 months).
TD also offer cards to newcomers: my understanding is they offer secured cards to Temp. Foreign Workers and unsecured to Perm. Residents.

My oldest line is less than year old so I am not trying to churn much at the moment, but rather establishing a good history.
My partner is Canadian with good credit so she does the churning and I'm an authorized user

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.