MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by codesinvan
Not sure where to post this.

HHonors Gold - was announced for the US Platinum Card some time ago. Was wondering if it was going to be added to the Amex Canadian Platinum card. Never saw an announcement - but when I logged into my account this week - I noticed an announcement for it on the "Travel/Hotels" page.

It says:
"Coming Soon: Complimentary HHGonors Gold Status"

That is good news. It will allow me to maintain status with Hilton after Diamond status match expires. Also a little insurance against greatly reduced Hotel status on this card after the Marriott/Starwood and Accor/Fairmont mergers. Although, its probably the status I value the least.

I have just logged into the AMEX Canada Platinum website and I can confirm that Hilton HHonors complimentary Gold status will be available to Canadian AMEX Platinum members.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by codesinvan
Not sure where to post this.

HHonors Gold - was announced for the US Platinum Card some time ago. Was wondering if it was going to be added to the Amex Canadian Platinum card. Never saw an announcement - but when I logged into my account this week - I noticed an announcement for it on the "Travel/Hotels" page.

It says:
"Coming Soon: Complimentary HHGonors Gold Status"

That is good news. It will allow me to maintain status with Hilton after Diamond status match expires. Also a little insurance against greatly reduced Hotel status on this card after the Marriott/Starwood and Accor/Fairmont mergers. Although, its probably the status I value the least.
Finally!!!
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I suppose it's a nice thing that Amex added the least valuable hotel status/program but there's a long ways to go in making this thing actually worth keeping.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
We used to do heavy duty spend on the Cap1 cards. My #1 problem was the $7,500 limit that required constant attention. Many times we paid the cards off several times during the month. Drove my wife's bookeeper nuts. They never ever increased the limit. I do get why, the interchange fees don't cover the 2% back. Close but Chase/Moneris etc take a cut (no idea how much of one) so Cap1 one is getting somewhere like 1.5%-1.7%?
Oh I totally get what you mean. When I first got this card, my limit was at $5,000 even though both my credit score & my income warranted way more than that. It took 3 years to get Cap 1 to increase my credit limit. They are unbelievably strict on that.

The worst is that I had a very complicated situation with a last minute work trip (3 weeks to Australia) for which I had to pay on my personal CC, and to make a long story short, I had a big hotel reservation issue that I could only solve with more credit on my card. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had it was a real nightmare. Cap 1 never increased my limit and couldn't even offer me a temp solution. I have never seen such lack of flexibility in my life. Thankfully, the Accor hotel in Australia showed amazing hospitality & service or I was not going to have a place to stay for the first few days in Australia.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I suppose it's a nice thing that Amex added the least valuable hotel status/program but there's a long ways to go in making this thing actually worth keeping.
It's actually the most valuable mid-tier status, along with Marriott Gold. Only these programs offer free breakfast/lounge access.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Originally Posted by Nathalie.OroLoyalty
Oh I totally get what you mean. When I first got this card, my limit was at $5,000 even though both my credit score & my income warranted way more than that. It took 3 years to get Cap 1 to increase my credit limit. They are unbelievably strict on that.

The worst is that I had a very complicated situation with a last minute work trip (3 weeks to Australia) for which I had to pay on my personal CC, and to make a long story short, I had a big hotel reservation issue that I could only solve with more credit on my card. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had it was a real nightmare. Cap 1 never increased my limit and couldn't even offer me a temp solution. I have never seen such lack of flexibility in my life. Thankfully, the Accor hotel in Australia showed amazing hospitality & service or I was not going to have a place to stay for the first few days in Australia.
.. you don't have another card? or didn't think to bring an extra card for travel?

or... say an AMEX that has "no limit" within your financial means?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by loun80
I have just logged into the AMEX Canada Platinum website and I can confirm that Hilton HHonors complimentary Gold status will be available to Canadian AMEX Platinum members.
This is great. A few weeks back HHonors had a promo, maybe still on, They matched status from other hotel programs. I used my Platinum status with Accor Hotels ( courtesy of Amex Plat. Card). They made me a Diamond until April 2017.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:33 pm

https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...ws.html#travel

No more welcome bonus points. It now comes with $250 "annual travel reimbursements" though.

$100 Airport parking reimbursements
$50 seat selection reimbursements
$100 Airline baggage fees reimbusements

This benefit is "per year".... calendar year? If so, $500 of these very specific travel credits isn't horrible for a Canadian card, if you have a use for them.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by zer0k1
https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credi...ws.html#travel

No more welcome bonus points. It now comes with $250 "annual travel reimbursements" though.

$100 Airport parking reimbursements
$50 seat selection reimbursements
$100 Airline baggage fees reimbusements

This benefit is "per year".... calendar year? If so, $500 of these very specific travel credits isn't horrible for a Canadian card, if you have a use for them.
Not bad if you could at least take advantage of the rebate up to the annual fee amount. If you could max it out, then you are ahead by $100.

Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:12 am

So unless I am missing something the RBC Westjet card is only as good as its sign up perk;

99$ annual fee traded for a 250$ westjet dollars and a 99$ + tax companion trip;

So when it is all said and done sign up for the card gets you basically a 2for1 domestic / transborder flight (250$ westjet traded to cover the annual fee, companion fee and part of the taxes (Depending on your trip and origin)). The 1% Westjet dollar cash back is a joke in terms of value so this is really a burn and churn sort of card...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by hearna
So unless I am missing something the RBC Westjet card is only as good as its sign up perk;

99$ annual fee traded for a 250$ westjet dollars and a 99$ + tax companion trip;

So when it is all said and done sign up for the card gets you basically a 2for1 domestic / transborder flight (250$ westjet traded to cover the annual fee, companion fee and part of the taxes (Depending on your trip and origin)). The 1% Westjet dollar cash back is a joke in terms of value so this is really a burn and churn sort of card...
+1

Also, keep in mind, WestJet dollars can only be used towards the base fare of the ticket.

One more little perk is the free checked bags
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by hearna

FYI fee is waived for those that have RBC VIP banking.
If you get a mortgage with RBC they give you 3 free months of vip banking so a good time to sign up for premium cards and order cheques.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cruban
FYI fee is waived for those that have RBC VIP banking.
If you get a mortgage with RBC they give you 3 free months of vip banking so a good time to sign up for premium cards and order cheques.
Would they waive prestige avion?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Would they waive prestige avion?
i asked them that last year and they said no. from memory, they said they would give a rebate but i don't remember how much. might have been the fee of the Infinite Avion applied to the prestige.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
i asked them that last year and they said no. from memory, they said they would give a rebate but i don't remember how much. might have been the fee of the Infinite Avion applied to the prestige.
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.