MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Avios redemptions are by far best for Y class flights... 30k one-way YVR-HKG, 12.5k YVR-JFK, off-peak to LHR, HKG-JNB, positioning flights within NA/EU to cheap fares etc.
I second this. I've booked two CX YVR-JFK flights (one in Y and one in W) and when doing searches in prep/research for these flights, I always seemed to find space easily 3-6 months out, even during busy times. Although, it seems like only W has been coming up lately for availability, which is weird, but maybe it's just my dates...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hello,

I remember reading messages about that but I can't found them with the search engine of the forum. Is it possible to get the signup bonus for the TD Visa Infinite Privilege (50k) when I already have a TD Visa Infinite (sine 2 years now) ? Each bank has its policy but since it will be an upgrade I was hoping it's possible ....

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by matthieugd
Hello,

I remember reading messages about that but I can't found them with the search engine of the forum. Is it possible to get the signup bonus for the TD Visa Infinite Privilege (50k) when I already have a TD Visa Infinite (sine 2 years now) ? Each bank has its policy but since it will be an upgrade I was hoping it's possible ....

Thanks!
Just went to the master thread for Aeroplan, forget about this one. It seems that TD is sending targeted offer for an upgrade so it's definitely possible but a call is needed to try to get it without being targeted.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Just out of curiosity with those who use Avios, where do you fly to? I.e. Best value.

I did use some this July for a short run, SYD-BNE return on Qantas, got to have a shower and endless barista made lattes and so much FOOD in the domestic SYD lounge. It was 9am Aussie time so no booze was consumed. I did wake up at 4:30am on the plane though... Such a change compared to the LAX T7 UA "lounge" just hours before.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Just out of curiosity with those who use Avios, where do you fly to? I.e. Best value.

I did use some this July for a short run, SYD-BNE return on Qantas, got to have a shower and endless barista made lattes and so much FOOD in the domestic SYD lounge. It was 9am Aussie time so no booze was consumed. I did wake up at 4:30am on the plane though... Such a change compared to the LAX T7 UA "lounge" just hours before.
Living in Vancouver I have used Avios for YVR-LAX-YVR on Alaska many times and it is pretty good value but the flight times not that great.

LAX-SCL on LAN Airlines 787 was great value for 120,000 Avios and $36.00 for 2 people in J

Looking forward to YVR-JFK on Cathay in First next spring.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

I had one CX F redemption, which was amazing, but besides that, I've burned an *inordinate* amount of Avios on domestic JL. The flights are plentiful, availability wide open all days (except "convenient" flights around the holidays), and it's wicked for a quick getaway anytime you feel like it. I've explored more of Japan by plane than by train or car. Did you know there is a desert with camels, the world's oldest hotel (two of them, in fact), Easter Island statues, and a mini-Niagara, complete with the horseshoe-shaped vortex? There really IS *everything* in Japan.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 5:16 pm

band 3 range within HKG is pretty good. Still only double miles for business class, and that covers KUL, SIN, PEK, ICN, NRT
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G

YVR-JFK on CX Y for 12500 non-stop is great value

right now I have a positioning flight booked LHR-ZRH because I needed a one-way only and paying for one-ways with cash is ridiculous.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:15 pm

I mainly use mine on Alaska - which won't do you much good living in the East...but if you can get out to SEA or LAX cheaply, 25K will get you to Hawaii and back! Best value I've gotten out of them!

I've heard a lot of people in the East get good value using their Avios on AA short haul flights...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
applied for and was accepted for the best western card today.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by montezume
applied for and was accepted for the best western card today.
Based on the BW *enhancements* I do not plan on signing up to this card. It will now be difficult to get real value out of this card....
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Based on the BW *enhancements* I do not plan on signing up to this card. It will now be difficult to get real value out of this card....
When you say 'enhancements' are you referring to the loss of instant Platinum status (and only getting Gold upon first purchase)? I am not sure that was really worth much anyway, since I have that status and never seem to get any of the perks they advertise.

I think it's still worth a churn if they ever have a 50,000 sign-up again...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
When you say 'enhancements' are you referring to the loss of instant Platinum status (and only getting Gold upon first purchase)? I am not sure that was really worth much anyway, since I have that status and never seem to get any of the perks they advertise.

I think it's still worth a churn if they ever have a 50,000 sign-up again...
No I was referring that the amount of points required will be tailored and not set. I could be mistaken however I believe this will mean more points for more expensive properties...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:41 pm

Recommended Mastercard in Canada?

I'm investigating credit cards for friends.

They have a preference for MC - so I was thinking of Alaska Air and maybe even Westjet World Elite.

I'd like them to be fairly flexible with redemptions - Alaska Air seems ideal with CX and EK available. Westjet seemed okay as they are more likely to fly them vs. Alaska as they are in Toronto. Otherwise not sure about Westjet redemptions - if it applies to their partners AA and Delta or just for Westjet dollars?

Otherwise there is the BMO World Elite but that seems locked to their travel centre...not sure how much they would like that.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:45 pm

I applied for both the MBNA Alaska Airlines card and the Best Western Rewards card and was approved for both. I was wondering, if a hard pull has generated, I should be able to see it on my credit report immediately upon requesting a new report after the applications, right? When applying for these two cards it seemed that the MBNA system had pre-approved me for a credit limit raise from an existing card I had with them, and so automatically approved me for the Alaska card. I then called in and asked for some of the new credit given to me to be reallocated to the Best Western card that I told them I was also applying for. They agreed to do this and I successfully received both cards. In this case is it possible that a hard pull wasn't generated at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.