Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by bmabnorth
Is that specific to the Aerogold Business - or will the personal Aerogold Infinute bonus also be distinction eligible?
Aeroplan t+c's state that unless specifically stated, financial cards sign up bonus miles do not qualify for distinction status.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
BA doesn't charge fuel surcharges on AA, right? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get YVR-ZRH.

AA is the obvious no-fuelcharges solution, but there's less points gaining options... BA benefits from the RBC and Amex conversion bonuses, but given how their system is stupid to find non-BA flights, I'm not sure.

Any ideas/feedback? :/
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:18 pm

Yes they do (even though AA does not)
Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crimsona
I'm referring to this post from last month:

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/fuel-surcharge-list/

that says they don't... is this not accurate?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: CX, AF, UA
Originally Posted by zer0k1
Ah ok. I should've posted here first. I hope they return ASAP.

How exactly does the family account work? you can just have them "linked"? I looked into it about a year ago and decided it looked like a hassle back then. Are they any complications?
It's been a while, I guess follow the online instructions. No complications. Super easy.

As far as I know BA do and don't on AA. They don't for itineraries wholly within the US, they do for any itineraries that have non US legs.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm referring to this post from last month:

http://www.extrapackofpeanuts.com/fuel-surcharge-list/

that says they don't... is this not accurate?
Domestic US and maybe Asia no, but on the JV from US to London, pretty sure yes.

Example:

American Airlines
AA0080
Business

21:55
25 Mar
DFW
12:15
26 Mar
LHR

75000 Avios + $ 591

Last edited by crimsona; Jun 18, 2015 at 5:18 pm
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

whoa I just realized BA Avios has FINALLY updated their reward cost calculator. IT ACTUALLY WORKS NOW. Instead of giving you a page not found error :lol about time

I just checked and JFK-ZRH is indeed 350 in fuel surcharges with AA when booking with Avios...... dangit. What good is the RBC and Amex-> Avios conversion when i end up paying like 25% of a regular ticket in surcharges.......... AA it is then.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:25 pm

whoa I just realized BA Avios has FINALLY updated their reward cost calculator. IT ACTUALLY WORKS NOW. Instead of giving you a page not found error :lol about time

I just checked and JFK-ZRH is indeed 350 in fuel surcharges with AA when booking with Avios...... dangit. What good is the RBC and Amex-> Avios conversion when i end up paying like 25% of a regular ticket in surcharges.......... AA it is then.
Or look at Air Berlin ... Never searched for that, but allegedly you might get a ticket without YQ with Avios.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:39 pm

Credit Limit

I'm usually quite good at keeping total reported balances below $1K (prepaying a few days before statements are generated), and have no other loan products then 7 credit/charge cards.

What's "acceptable" for churning purposes in terms of total number of credit cards and total amount of credit limit showing on the bureau for >100K income?

How many credit cards can one have on the bureau and still be able to churn?
How much total credit limit can one have on the bureau and still be able to churn?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:27 pm

How often does Amex have point-to-miles conversion promos to BA? Anyone know? In a perfect world it'd be Aero, but that's not happening anymore...
not often anymore

You can see the history here on RFD by crimsona
Avion/American Express/Other partners to Aeroplan/BA/AA point transfer promo history - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Well rumour has it next week... Who knows, I guess
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:17 am

Domestic US and maybe Asia no, but on the JV from US to London, pretty sure yes.

Example:

American Airlines
AA0080
Business

21:55
25 Mar
DFW
12:15
26 Mar
LHR

75000 Avios + $ 591
I just booked a one-way flight from Chicago to Tokyo using Avios for AA flight. The taxes were $6, a steal.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Anyone get denied for a new MBNA card application? It's because of applying for too many cards via your credit report/score.

Odd thing is I got the Alaska card, my wife got denied. She makes way more than I do, she got the CIBC Aerobiz last week, a basic Amex Aeroplan card 2 months ago and cancelled 2 Amex cards last week (another mistake?).
Oddly her SPG application required proof of income, applied the day before the MBNA app (mistake in timing?)

I got a biz SPG 2 weeks ago, basic Amex 2 months ago and the Alaska card last week. I cancelled the personal Amex gold card 2 months ago.

I'm wondering when can she reapply if at all? This is totally new territory to me.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Anyone get denied for a new MBNA card application? It's because of applying for too many cards via your credit report/score.

Odd thing is I got the Alaska card, my wife got denied. She makes way more than I do, she got the CIBC Aerobiz last week, a basic Amex Aeroplan card 2 months ago and cancelled 2 Amex cards last week (another mistake?).
Oddly her SPG application required proof of income, applied the day before the MBNA app (mistake in timing?)

I got a biz SPG 2 weeks ago, basic Amex 2 months ago and the Alaska card last week. I cancelled the personal Amex gold card 2 months ago.

I'm wondering when can she reapply if at all? This is totally new territory to me.
Something funky about the SPG Amex. Many reports of low initial credit limit, proof of income to get approved, reports of denials due to too many checks. Seems this card is harder to get then the other Amex.

As for MBNA, I would wait for all cards to have at least posted to the bureau twice, ideally 90 days without checks, and she'll be approved no questions asked if she's clean on payments.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by akhenaton
I just booked a one-way flight from Chicago to Tokyo using Avios for AA flight. The taxes were $6, a steal.
That's fantastic! I love the $6 taxes I get with my Avios award tickets on AS. Killer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.