MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018) • Which credit card should I get? • Cards with good bonuses • List of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian Kilometers • PointsNerd • Rewards Canada • Don't Call the Airline! • Pointshogger • Canadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
• PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: *void
Milesbuzz: Canada

Several hundred new card applicants are also silently wondering why, but chose to stay quiet on this topic. Now there's no need to call in, as the MBNA moles have taken note and will investigate.

There, I pushed it behind this page. Maybe this will help.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Good idea, JJJ! Let's talk about something else...How 'bout them Flames?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Good idea, JJJ! Let's talk about something else...How 'bout them Flames?
GHG
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:08 am

For FHR , Canada AE Platinum user still have to call in or can book online now?

and the $200 annual credit can use towards FHR booking? did card holder have to be attend the travel for FHR booking?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88
For FHR , Canada AE Platinum user still have to call in or can book online now?

and the $200 annual credit can use towards FHR booking? did card holder have to be attend the travel for FHR booking?
You can book online through travel.americanexpress.ca; you just have to sign in first. I've done so before and haven't had any issues.

You can indeed use the $200 travel credit towards a FHR booking. As for your other question: when you book online, it says that the primary traveller must be the cardholder, so I believe that yes, the cardholder needs to be present. You may be able to find a way around it, but at least when booking online, the travel needs to be made in your name.

Good luck
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:15 pm

Many Thanks! I always thought the $200 Credit is just like US issued airways CC can just use for airline upgrade/luggage fees only, never thought it can use FHR hotel

then essentially it's a good deal, just like spend $699-$200 (maybe 2 $200)=$499 buy 50K/60K(referral) Aeroplan miles , I will begin to churn every year

Originally Posted by dellsystem
You can book online through travel.americanexpress.ca; you just have to sign in first. I've done so before and haven't had any issues.

You can indeed use the $200 travel credit towards a FHR booking. As for your other question: when you book online, it says that the primary traveller must be the cardholder, so I believe that yes, the cardholder needs to be present. You may be able to find a way around it, but at least when booking online, the travel needs to be made in your name.

Good luck
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:39 pm

one thing I do find out, correct me if I'm wrong............... credit score doesn't matter too much for home loan in Canada. New immigrant if pay 30% deposit can get home loan and Prime-0.7% easily, for people I know who don't use a lot of CC and won't have very good credit score also can get Prime-0.7% easily, customer if have a unresolved cell phone bill in past, just pay off the past due bill, also can get Prime-0.7%.............looks like credit score doesn't affect too much on loan rates
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ecgz88
one thing I do find out, correct me if I'm wrong............... credit score doesn't matter too much for home loan in Canada. New immigrant if pay 30% deposit can get home loan and Prime-0.7% easily, for people I know who don't use a lot of CC and won't have very good credit score also can get Prime-0.7% easily, customer if have a unresolved cell phone bill in past, just pay off the past due bill, also can get Prime-0.7%.............looks like credit score doesn't affect too much on loan rates
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think discriminatory lending is illegal in Canada, that's why the above is true.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think discriminatory lending is illegal in Canada, that's why the above is true.
Setting loan terms based on creditworthiness is not discriminatory.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Its not discriminatory lending...there are different programs for different category of clients.....new immigrants, self employed...etc....(just for qualifying purpose).... Although the rate of interest in based on different factors including credit scores...plus the Market...!!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Setting loan terms based on creditworthiness is not discriminatory.
Originally Posted by sunnyzip
Its not discriminatory lending...there are different programs for different category of clients.....new immigrants, self employed...etc....(just for qualifying purpose).... Although the rate of interest in based on different factors including credit scores...plus the Market...!!
That's fair, the word "discriminatory" wasn't used in a negative context, but more in its original context, in the sense of segregating (ha, here we go, another improper word ) borrowers based on certain factors. You're right that creditworthiness is likely an acceptable factor, but I don't know how far you can take it in Canada compared to the USA, where taking out a cell phone line can affect your mortgage interest by x.x% just because you've picked up "a loan". I think we're a lot more straightforward about the way things work. Of course, I speak based only on my personal experience, and I'm not a banker, so take it fwiw.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:48 am

Just noticed on my RBC Avion statement that they will be having a 20% conversion bonus for WestJet Dollars. BA Avios are worth more than that to me even without the (hopefully upcoming) 50% conversion bonus..

Get 20% more WestJet dollars!
Convert your RBC RewardsŪ points into WestJet
dollarsJ
from May 1 to June 15, 2015 and get
20% more WestJet dollars. Visit
rbc.com/wjconversion
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Just noticed on my RBC Avion statement that they will be having a 20% conversion bonus for WestJet Dollars. BA Avios are worth more than that to me even without the (hopefully upcoming) 50% conversion bonus..
Now if only they ran another AA transfer bonus. I'm waiting.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Now if only they ran another AA transfer bonus. I'm waiting.
When was the last one? And what was the bonus?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:26 pm

I've tracked promos in my sig. The last AA transfer seems to have been in fall 2013:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/avion.../#post17586006

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.