MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
The Amex reps are pretty confident that the Member Since date is not reflected in any way whatsoever on the information that is reported to the CB
And they would be wrong.

I have my credit reports from both TU and Equifax that have card opened year dating back to the first one in 2012.

For example, I have held a Amex Gold Rewards, Amex Plat, Blue Sky and Aeroplan Gold over the last few years - all of them show the same year (but actual month), when in fact I opened them at a rate of 1 per year or so.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by lily23
To be honest, I think the Amex reps are wrong. My member since date was originally 2003, which was clearly a mistake as I would have been too young to have a credit card at that age and was never authorized on my parents accounts. I ended up applying for a BMO credit card, and they questioned me about the start date of my Amex cards and wouldn't grant the approval until I called Amex to have it changed (not sure why it was such a big deal to them...). The Amex reps said they could change it to 2009 quite easily and it wouldn't reflect on my credit report - later, all four cards showed up on my Equifax report as new accounts, and my score ended up dropping quite a bit.
I am very inclined to agree with you, especially given people's first hand reports of it being represented on the average age of accounts. I just find it bizarre that I spoke to 3 Amex reps so far who were all 100% positive it would not have any such reflection. But then again, one of them told me "We only contact the CB when you are applying for credit".
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: *void
I am very inclined to agree with you, especially given people's first hand reports of it being represented on the average age of accounts. I just find it bizarre that I spoke to 3 Amex reps so far who were all 100% positive it would not have any such reflection. But then again, one of them told me "We only contact the CB when you are applying for credit".
Z, those are Amex reps, not CB reps. Don't ask them for their opinions. It's like asking any FI CSR, "When will I get my points?", you'll just get the token answer "8-10 weeks from now". Or when your TD online application fails to work and you ask the TD rep why it's happening: "Oh, I'm glad you called me, I am a TD rep and also an IT expert. Just clear your browser history, cache and cookies." Okie, dokie!

Just have faith in our datapoints!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Z, those are Amex reps, not CB reps. Don't ask them for their opinions. It's like asking any FI CSR, "When will I get my points?", you'll just get the token answer "8-10 weeks from now". Or when your TD online application fails to work and you ask the TD rep why it's happening: "Oh, I'm glad you called me, I am a TD rep and also an IT expert. Just clear your browser history, cache and cookies." Okie, dokie!

Just have faith in our datapoints!
Haha yeah good point
Old Apr 3, 2015, 9:59 am

I applied to the Chase Marriott card and got declined because Equifax has my old mailing address rather than my current one. Anyone have experience with this?

What's a faster way to get Equifax to fix my credit report: amend the address on all my credit card or write to Equifax about it? Once I send Equifax the right info, how fast will they communicate it with Chase? Will Chase reconsider without doing another hard pull?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:58 am

Does anyone have churning with the Best Western card? Does it following the typical 6 month cycle like the Marriott card?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by kenwood
Does anyone have churning with the Best Western card? Does it following the typical 6 month cycle like the Marriott card?
Many here have had great experience with the BW card. They do not follow the cycle marriott uses.

Too early to tell for sure how it'll play out with the new regime and system in place for mbna credit cards now.

The current 20,000 offer ain't great; I'm waiting to see if 50,000 comes back this summer.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:07 pm

How long do you have to wait after you cancel to apply for the exact same AMEX card?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
How long do you have to wait after you cancel to apply for the exact same AMEX card?
6 months is the accepted practice. Anything less than that is YMMV.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:34 pm

Question

6 months is the accepted practice. Anything less than that is YMMV.
Is it possible to downgrade a canadian AMEX charge card without getting a new credit pull?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:38 pm

Is it possible to downgrade a canadian AMEX charge card without getting a new credit pull?
They claim it is possible, however I can assume there is no way you would be able to get the downgraded card bonus if that's what you're thinking. It would take convincing even for them to let you do the downgrade in the first place.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 3:56 pm

They claim it is possible, however I can assume there is no way you would be able to get the downgraded card bonus if that's what you're thinking.
No, I am just trying to keep an AMEX card without having to pay the annual fee.

It would take convincing
What do you mean by that?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:13 pm

What do you mean by that?
I am not sure how doable it is. I've actually inquired about it a couple times and each time I was given a response along the lines of "in certain cases it can be done" - So it seems YMMV but give it a try and let us know!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:19 am

BMO World Elite Mastercard question

Quick question regarding the BMO World Elite M/C. Can someone provide me with some insight as to how their online Rewards site works. Is it an Orbitz/Expedia etc type of system or can you specifically go to an individual airlines own site? I'm just curious as to whether I can book an Alaska Airlines flight using a companion pass on the BMO Rewards site.

Also, for those of you who have used this card to redeem for travel, how has this worked for you? TIA.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by prmetime
Quick question regarding the BMO World Elite M/C. Can someone provide me with some insight as to how their online Rewards site works. Is it an Orbitz/Expedia etc type of system or can you specifically go to an individual airlines own site? I'm just curious as to whether I can book an Alaska Airlines flight using a companion pass on the BMO Rewards site.

Also, for those of you who have used this card to redeem for travel, how has this worked for you? TIA.
Book through their web portal.

I find the rates competitive. Have used for hotels and flights. Some hotels do not give stay credit for stays remember, ie Hilton. But I do receive HHonours benefits while staying (I am diamond).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.