MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
I am trying to apply for the Alaska Airlines MC with the GCR link.

I am unable to go further than the first page of the application. After clicking on "Continue" I get a blank page.

I tried several computers and several browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE).

Any clues on how to resolve the issue????????
Clear cache, cookies, make sure any ad or script blocker (....... plus for instance) is entirely disabled. Then start the application process back from GCR link.
If this doesn't solve it, then it's probably on the site's side.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
Clear cache, cookies, make sure any ad or script blocker (....... plus for instance) is entirely disabled. Then start the application process back from GCR link.
If this doesn't solve it, then it's probably on the site's side.
It must be on their side... I tried everything.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold..Flying around the world
I would be careful in keep trying to apply. If you cannot go through just forget the $25 and apply over the phone. By keep trying to apply depending how far along the process you go it can be hitting your credit. My S/O had this issue with TD a few months ago. Ended up being denied for the card. Red flag on your credit report. So I would be careful. It is only $25 you are saving so spending a whole day on it just to save $25 is not worth it IMO, especially if it hits your credit...
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
I would be careful in keep trying to apply. If you cannot go through just forget the $25 and apply over the phone. By keep trying to apply depending how far along the process you go it can be hitting your credit. My S/O had this issue with TD a few months ago. Ended up being denied for the card. Red flag on your credit report. So I would be careful. It is only $25 you are saving so spending a whole day on it just to save $25 is not worth it IMO, especially if it hits your credit...
It doesn't hit the credit. It only hits it when you answer the security questions.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:35 pm

It doesn't hit the credit. It only hits it when you answer the security questions.
Not true. It pulls the security questions without hitting your credit, even though that is where the questions come from.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by zer0k1
Not true. It pulls the security questions without hitting your credit, even though that is where the questions come from.
Once you answer the questions correctly, it hits your credit.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:28 am

Question

I don't see any reason to cancel the card with all the credit. If you move it over to a different card before cancelling then you kind of guarantee approval for your next application. To keep it less awkward I am keeping 1 non-Alaska MBNA card open (MBNA Rewards card). That is where I will "store" my unneeded credit. On my next application, if I am not approved I will have them move over $500 from that card to a new Alaska card.

When it comes time to close an Alaska card I will ask them to move the credit back over to the Rewards card.

Would this trick work with AMEX?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:09 am

Once you answer the questions correctly, it hits your credit.
For me, the application went all the way to the security questions twice, and only crashed after submitting them all correctly. I actually called MBNA because I, too, assumed it had pulled my credit. They assured me it had not. I didn't trust their word so I paid $16.99 for monthly TU report and sure enough it had not.

Would this trick work with AMEX?
The majority of Amex products, and presumably the ones you would be interested in, are "charge cards" rather than credit cards. Since there is supposedly no pre-set limit, there is no credit for the to move around. So this would not work.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:30 am

The majority of Amex products, and presumably the ones you would be interested in, are "charge cards" rather than credit cards. Since there is supposedly no pre-set limit, there is no credit for the to move around. So this would not work.
OK, but can I tell them: "I already have a X card with you, please cancel it and give me a brand new Y card instead." ?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:46 am

OK, but can I tell them: "I already have a X card with you, please cancel it and give me a brand new Y card instead." ?
Nope. If you aren't approved then there is no harm in asking, but chances are they will say no.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Thumbs down

It must be on their side... I tried everything.
having the same problem. The website does this all the time.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
having the same problem. The website does this all the time.
I could be wrong, but it worked for me during non-peak hours. Maybe that makes a difference?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:15 am

Maybe that makes a difference?

Nope... I even tried Saturday night at 2AM.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
I could be wrong, but it worked for me during non-peak hours. Maybe that makes a difference?
Now I remember. Use a different browser. Doesn't seem optimized for Chrome.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:21 pm

just tried apply SPG SMB card, been told you can just keep 2 AE card at most is that true ? I thought SMB card don't use personnel credit info?

I already have Costco AE card for 10 years (for credit history purpose obviously can't cancel) and personnel SPG AE card (apply last mon haven't got SPG points yet), so obvious can't cancel both, what's my options?

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Fighting against their own TD Aeroplan product line indeed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.