MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
No you don't

If you signed up for USDM today, maybe wait until tomorrow to try for data sync? Although it shouldn't matter
Hi Jerry! Thanks for the response I tried again today and it still did not work It is weird since I cann add the # to my Awardwallet but not points.com I hope they have not blocked new apps I will call them tomorrow
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan, BA Executive, DL Skymiles, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Johnnyrotten33
Hi Jerry! Thanks for the response I tried again today and it still did not work It is weird since I cann add the # to my Awardwallet but not points.com I hope they have not blocked new apps I will call them tomorrow
It used to be that your account had to be open for a couple weeks (not sure on the exact amount of days) before it would allow you to input it and transfer points. That could be the problem
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
^ yes it has to be open for 12days or something close to that before it will be activated on points.com
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
anyone know the minimum household/personal income required for the Marriott Rewards Visa?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by jwongathon
anyone know the minimum household/personal income required for the Marriott Rewards Visa?
Haven't seen anything firm in writing but I was able to get instant approval w $54,000 personal (January 2015). Declined last summer at $44,000 personal. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: AC E50K, SPG/Marriott Platinum, AccorHotels Platinum, IHG Gold, NEXUS
TD now has a public offer of 25,000 Aeroplan Miles (15,000 after first purchase and 10,000 after 1000 $ in three months) for the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card (usually 15,000 after first purchase).

No first year free though.

Offer available until May 8th, 2015.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Key point - It's very hard to earn AA miles in Canada other than flying
This is the only way I know of to earn it (at decent rate)

For domestic, AA miles is still more than the king-of-short-haul Avios, so I'd only use AA for Premium long-haul cabins

LGA/JFK/ORD/DCA/CLT-YYZ is only 4500 Avios + $6 USD also, less than AA miles + $6
You can earn AA miles flying WS
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Key point - It's very hard to earn AA miles in Canada other than flying
This is the only way I know of to earn it (at decent rate)
RBC Rewards points convert to AA.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenSenise
RBC Rewards points convert to AA.
And Avios as well.

Special British Airways Executive Club offer for RBC Avion® cardholders+! Convert your RBC Rewards points into Avios and receive 50% more◊. Offer valid from November 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. Convert your points today!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
And Avios as well.

Special British Airways Executive Club offer for RBC Avion® cardholders+! Convert your RBC Rewards points into Avios and receive 50% more◊. Offer valid from November 1, 2014 to December 31, 2014. Convert your points today!
Good for short haul, not much else. Still useful, but I wouldn't be converting too much to Avios anymore.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:10 pm

One should diversify if possible, I collect both (and even transfer Aeroplan to USDM 100:84 hoping to become AA miles after the merger)
Aeroplan (or specifically EVA Air [BR]) availability hasn't been favorable lately

My example
Looking for Aeroplan ticket YYZ-TPE was hopeless for June for 2 Y, since BR hasn't released seats, so instead, I used BA Avios to redeem CX YYZ-HKG-TPE instead

Aeroplan: 37500 miles + $55 (if on BR) or $300+ on YQ-carriers
Avios: 39500 Avios + $90 tax/fees << not a bad deal, considered I got these Avios during 50% offer years ago
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:12 am

One should diversify if possible, I collect both (and even transfer Aeroplan to USDM 100:84 hoping to become AA miles after the merger)
Aeroplan (or specifically EVA Air [BR]) availability hasn't been favorable lately

My example
Looking for Aeroplan ticket YYZ-TPE was hopeless for June for 2 Y, since BR hasn't released seats, so instead, I used BA Avios to redeem CX YYZ-HKG-TPE instead

Aeroplan: 37500 miles + $55 (if on BR) or $300+ on YQ-carriers
Avios: 39500 Avios + $90 tax/fees << not a bad deal, considered I got these Avios during 50% offer years ago
I agree 100%. Unfortunately, value of Avios diversification goes down materially after April 28th.

My friend who books on CX in J YYZ-HKG is really upset that his award will now cost 105k instead of 70k one-way.

As an aside..it's unfortunate that BR availability is so restricted in advance. However, if you have the flexibility closer to the date is amazingly wide open. I've just done some "for fun" checks, and I've seen 6 seats available in J.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
As per dcta.ca, MBNA Alaska Airlines Mastercard is back up on GCR so I updated the wiki to reflect the new $25 rebate.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: *void
Milesbuzz: Canada

Updated wiki
TD Aeroplan $50 GCR and $70 RFD offers on the $0 FYF, 25,000 promos, and updated link to TD discussion thread.

Updated link to Amex Churn 2015 discussion thread.

Removed Shop.ca blurb (had no info).
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:04 pm

Sorry for the change of Topic.

Has anyone heard of a prepaid debit card which can be loaded through credit card (bill pay) without incurring cash advance fees on the cc? there is several options for this in US such as blue card (amex) or serve account (amex) and lately I have heard of RedCard (Target).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.