Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Up to 3500 [DL/UA/US] miles for $5 from Sharebuilder

Old May 10, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Update: Links are all dead as of 10/16. Let me know if any new offers appear.

How to do it:
After going through the process of opening your account, add a bank account but do not fund your account yet.

You will need to make a trade. The cheapest way that I found was through Automatic Investing for $4. Select the 'one time' option and buy a cheap stock. I always bought $1 worth of Sirius satellite radio. For Automatic Investing you must select a Tuesday to initiate the trade (i.e. second Tuesday of the month). You can fund the trade from your bank account (saves the step of transferring to your holding account).

After the miles post (after 6-8 weeks?), you can close your account, but you must sell your stock first. If you have $1 of stock, the transaction fee will be the value of the stock. You do not need to transfer in more money to pay the fee. There will be 1 cent leftover that must be transferred back to your bank.

If you want to maximize this offer, I would suggest only opening one account at a time and waiting until it is closed before opening another one. After you do this offer enough times, they will stop approving your accounts for trading. They only allow one username per SSN but you can open multiple accounts under the same user profile. There are no hard credit pulls.

Update:
You might be able to make your trade for free if you sign up for the 'Advantage Program' free trial. I never tried it myself.

Additional Promotion Codes for cash bonuses:
Update: It has been confirmed from the comments that you can stack a cash bonus on top of the miles promotion. The links below are provided for reference only. To get both the miles and cash you should open your account through the UA link up top and add the promotion code on the first page of the application.
502INVEST or 50TRADE - $50 after completing a trade (120 day hold) Terms
100LSQ4 or 100SRQ4 or 100BD1S - $100 after $5,000 deposit (90 day hold) Terms #1 Terms #2 Terms #3
200BPT - $200 after $10,000 deposit (120 day hold) Terms
TRADEUP100 - $100 after transferring $500 or more from another broker (180 day hold) Terms

Last edited by samdori; Oct 18, 2013 at 6:56 pm Reason: deal is dead
Old May 11, 2013, 9:00 am

I just tried setting up a new account, it said my user profile is already in the system either from my SSN or DOB. I may have an account long long time ago. Do not want to continue as not sure I will get the bonus or not
Old May 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Thanks for posting this. I am just short in my delta miles for the typical 40,000 miles I need for a trip - will check this out!
Old May 11, 2013, 10:48 am

Thanks for the post. I tried following your instruction exactly. I picked free month trial and automatic investing and the it takes me to add securities. I picked SIRI but it said minimum purchase is $4. Where did I go wrong?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:30 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I am all set up and ready to go! Thanks for the advice samdori, I know own one share of AMRMQ. We'll see if the miles post this weekend.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Angry

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121
Thanks for the post. I tried following your instruction exactly. I picked free month trial and automatic investing and the it takes me to add securities. I picked SIRI but it said minimum purchase is $4. Where did I go wrong?
I think the $4 is the cost for the trade/investment/purchase. So $5 will get you $1 of a stock. Basically it's $5 for 2,000 to 3,500 miles. Worth the slight hassle in my opinion.
But being the penny-pincher I am, I have a question about the cost of selling your $1 stock (if that's how much you buy). It doesn't explicitly say so, but it says there is a $6.95 charge per trade. Does that include selling a $1 stock? If that's so, then I guess you just forget about your stock and move on since according to my calculus paying $6.95 for $1 isn't one of the better financial moves you can make. (No matter how many times I try it )
Old May 11, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Do they do credit checks?
Old May 11, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Do they do credit checks?
No, not a hard inquiry.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IDM79
I think the $4 is the cost for the trade/investment/purchase. So $5 will get you $1 of a stock. Basically it's $5 for 2,000 to 3,500 miles. Worth the slight hassle in my opinion.
But being the penny-pincher I am, I have a question about the cost of selling your $1 stock (if that's how much you buy). It doesn't explicitly say so, but it says there is a $6.95 charge per trade. Does that include selling a $1 stock? If that's so, then I guess you just forget about your stock and move on since according to my calculus paying $6.95 for $1 isn't one of the better financial moves you can make. (No matter how many times I try it )
If your stock is worth less than the $6.95 it costs for a trade ($4 for automatic investment), then they just deduct the value of the stock and leave you with $0.01. I'm not sure why the 1 cent but that's how it always works out.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtang1
I just tried setting up a new account, it said my user profile is already in the system either from my SSN or DOB. I may have an account long long time ago. Do not want to continue as not sure I will get the bonus or not
You should still get the bonus as long as they let you open a new account and you make the trade. All of my accounts were under the same username. After the 8th time when I tried to open an account, the account was not approved for trading, so I was not able to make a trade. As long as your new account is approved for trading, you should be good to go.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:08 pm

Thanks for sharing. Will have to look into it and try it out.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:50 pm

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/sharebuilder.com
retailmenot and a few other websites have coupon codes that you can add in the promo box such as 5 free trades or the coupon code i used was "50trade" which should give you 50$ for opening an account and completing one trade (with no $ minimum, cant withdraw the free 50$ for 90 days too)
Old May 11, 2013, 9:42 pm

I opened my Sharebuilder account using a $200 promo code. I have since closed the account. Can I still open new account (probably under the same username) to get the 3500 Delta miles?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, PC Plat, WN A+
I assume you can get this for free if you sign up for the free trial when it asks you to sign up for the "Advantage Program".
Old May 12, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I signed up through the UA link (need to top off that account) and used the $200 code on top of the UA promo. CS assured both work together. I wish I'd have seen the 50 free trade offer first! Thanks to OP for bumping this up again. Perhaps it will be a yearly ritual for me now???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.