Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

BOS to Chicago flights twice a week - best FFP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓

Hi, I have a friend who is doing Boston to Chicago twice a week for three months and she asked me which FFP she should join (including getting a credit card). Since the miles are so little, I don't know what to tell her... I guess she should be trying to earn based on segments rather than miles? She wants to get a credit card that's tied to the FFP she joins.

What would you recommend? Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GITU
... Boston to Chicago ...
Tell us what you already know: Which carriers fly this route nonstop? Will she be flying in economy or first class? Does she want to accumulate miles for domestic or international trips, in economy or in business?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Sorry, I should have mentioned: She's flying cheap economy. JetBlue, Delta, UA and AA I think all fly this nonstop. She's unsure-- she just wants to get the best deal she can out of this contract gig. Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
What will be her travel pattern after the 3 month period?

I personally have a bias for AA, believe they are worth considering:
1. Frequent nonstops between BOS and ORD
2. Not enough travel to earn status, but sufficient for a challenge to obtain PLT http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Challenge_(AA)

In regard to a credit card: She may be better off with an AMEX Plat (if she qualifies). For $450 per year, she will get access to Admirals Clubs at both ends, $200 credit for misc charges on AA, will earn MR points - arguably more valuable (flexible) than earning AA miles. New enrollment promotions vary from 25k - 100k MR points for min spend.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:34 am
Original Poster

What's the benefit of her doing a PLT challenge? Thanks! Are there other CCs that you'd recommend with a lower annual fee- not sure she'll go for it, even with the lounge access...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:43 am

What's the benefit of her doing a PLT challenge?
Earn PLAT status on AA http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...fits-chart.jsp for one year, soft landing to GLD the following year, regardless of the amount of travel.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:47 am

Are there other CCs that you'd recommend with a lower annual fee- not sure she'll go for it, even with the lounge access...
AA Citibank cards are fine for the basic user.

Chase Sapphire Preferred is another option - no lounge access, ultimate rewards have lots of redemption options, many threads on the credit card forums.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:36 am

A lot of it depends are what her travel goals are, outside of this contract. If the miles accumulated are enough for a status challenge, that could be a good way to go. If she's not a big traveler, she might be better off with JetBlue or Southwest(assuming she can fly into Midway rather than O'Hare). JetBlue and Southwest both have fixed value award charts, so they don't get a lot of attention on these boards. But I think they offer a better product for the infrequent flyer than the legacy carriers.

As far as credit cards go, each of the legacy carriers offers a co-branded card that offers earlier boarding, checked bag free, plus misc. benefits plus a lucrative sign-up bonus. The fee is in each case, waived the first year and then $95 (or thereabouts). The typical earning is 2 miles per $ spent on that airline and 1 miles per $ everywhere else. There are threads on these boards dedicated to each of these cards and the best currently available signup bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.