Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 11, 13, 7:34 am   #61

Made some great BA redemptions on intra-south America flights. Lima to Cusco (9k RT) and AEP to MDZ in Argentina (9k RT). Taxes were low for LIM to CUZ but appx. 125 pp on the Argentina routing. However the cost would have been almost 450 pp otherwise.
Pinser555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 8:42 am   #62

Programs: AMEX Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Delta Silver Medallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
The key with Skypence and Skypesos is to not fly on the home airline.
1) I fly Delta domestically (revenue tickets) as it it is easy to get to their hub (LGA) from where I live, they go most places I want to fly, and their planes/service are good

2) British Airways flights to Europe look pretty cheap in coach

The best is to accumulate revenue miles via these airlines and redeem rewards on their partners (Avios miles also work well on Cathay)
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:09 pm   #63

Is BA availability on AA closing up? I'm trying to find seats for three (or even one or two) on AA from IAD/DCA-ORD in June and find nothing. Very little on that route at all. I'm going through BA's website. What's the problem here?
ankdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:17 pm   #64

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, Kayaker/Freeloader on UA, AA, US, DL, BA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankdc View Post
Is BA availability on AA closing up? I'm trying to find seats for three (or even one or two) on AA from IAD/DCA-ORD in June and find nothing. Very little on that route at all. I'm going through BA's website. What's the problem here?
Are you seeing the flights as available for sAAver redemption on AA.com? I usually like to search AA.com for the 30 day calendar functionality and then "searching" for the flights I want via BA.com.
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:18 pm   #65
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankdc
Is aa.com showing MileSAAver award availability for your desired dates of travel?
guv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:30 pm   #66
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
It's not BA's fault: AA has gone from being roughly on par with United in terms of availability on most "normal" routes (e.g., not max-demand award routes) to being more akin to US or DL. I can't even get MCI-ORD on a random Saturday morning 5 months from now to connect to my TATL flight.

I would hope that post-bankruptcy, AA will improve. Just two years ago, they had generally fair availability. Booking months in advance, you'd find some choices on WAS-ORD.

Last edited by pinniped; Feb 11, 13 at 3:06 pm.
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 12:38 pm   #67

Actually, you all are correct - AA availability is the problem. Not having used their program for years, I was shocked. Awful. Maybe it'll be better closer in.
ankdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 2:06 pm   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
2) British Airways flights to Europe look pretty cheap in coach

The best is to accumulate revenue miles via these airlines and redeem rewards on their partners (Avios miles also work well on Cathay)

Using Avios on BA to Europe is NOT cheap after all the fees and surcharges.
I once found RT tixs to europe that cost less using online search engines than all the fees BA charged for a "free tix".

Have not used Avios miles to Asia (from NYC) but I believe they charge much more in miles than other air programs.
sharka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 4:12 pm   #69

Programs: AMEX Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Delta Silver Medallion
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharka View Post
Using Avios on BA to Europe is NOT cheap after all the fees and surcharges.
I once found RT tixs to europe that cost less using online search engines than all the fees BA charged for a "free tix".

Have not used Avios miles to Asia (from NYC) but I believe they charge much more in miles than other air programs.
I meant purchasing tickets on BA to Europe in coach is pretty cheap - meaning that BA is a decent option to actually accumulate miles through flying

Redeeming Avios on Cathay seems to cost minimal fees and look comparable to Cathay's own program:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/how-...out-huge-fees/
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 4:34 pm   #70
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked recently and DL offered flights to Asia in C for 120K + $1xx during the summer, so DL is still useful to me. Last time I checked on a long-haul using BA miles (not on BA metal), it was ridiculous, so I spent the 50K I had on a few days in a riverfront hotel in Singapore. I have just enough left for a 4500-mile flight in Japan, so I'll consider using the rest on that -- thanks to those who mentioned it.

I don't go looking for either kind of miles much, but I've cut back considerably on flying (from 125K+/yr to @30K/yr), so I'm not in a position to worry about which is better.
PaulMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 13, 4:53 pm   #71

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I meant purchasing tickets on BA to Europe in coach is pretty cheap - meaning that BA is a decent option to actually accumulate miles through flying

Redeeming Avios on Cathay seems to cost minimal fees and look comparable to Cathay's own program:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/how-...out-huge-fees/
Cathay isn't typically that cheap in my experience. Two one way tickets NYC-CMB were coming in at 195K Avios and about $700 (for the pair in Biz)
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:12 am   #72
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, A3 Gold, MR/SPG/PC Gold, HH Diamond, Nat ExecElite
Is Cathay better (from a BA fees perspective) when redeeming intra-Asia? I believe this is the case with JAL. Long-haul has lots of junk fees. Short-haul has none or little.
pinniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 13, 2:19 am   #73

Programs: UA, AA peon
I recently booked CNX (Chiang Mai)-HKG on KA and HKG-HND on CX for $52.61 and $44.58 in taxes/fuel surcharges respectively. I can't get ba.com to spit out the breakdown for already-purchased itineraries, but I seem to remember airport taxes making up over half of the first segment and the fuel surcharge being the same for the second. Given that these routes are double the miles plus a $25 phone booking fee for me to get them using AA miles, it seemed like a no-brainer to burn Avios instead.
lunettes noires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 11:40 am   #74

Avios also worked great in Australia. I could fly around from city to city and only dish out a couple thousand avios each time, with fees less than $10. Also work great for last minute flights, ie. I got offered tickets to the Superbowl the day before. Flights were all booked or thousands of dollars, but was able to get me and a friend there for just 60k Avios total RT. Love that the award price doesn't change based on demand.
Miles Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 8:37 pm   #75
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Gold, CO Silver
BA charges YQ on JL awards intra-asia. It's not shockingly high though. I was looking at BKK-NRT in J recently and the YQ was around $100.
TravelerMSY is offline   Reply With Quote