Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX Business Gold Rewards 75k (Expired) 10k/4 months

Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold

Seems like this offer floats around from time to time.

The spend is quite high, but for some it may be worth it.

Limited-Time Offer
Get 75,000 points after you spend $10,000 on the card in your first 4 months of Card membership1

Multiple Points on Purchases
3X Points on Airfare2

Points are earned only on eligible purchases. Bonus points limitations apply.

Offer Terms
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card account within the last 12 months.

Annual Fee
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $175.

https://www262.americanexpress.com/b...ly/45152-286-0
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
it sounds like many of us who just applied for the platinum card would not be qualified for this bonus
I also heard people reported that Amex refused to give them points on this promotion before
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duc1986d
it sounds like many of us who just applied for the platinum card would not be qualified for this bonus
I also heard people reported that Amex refused to give them points on this promotion before
Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product or any other Business Gold, Green or Platinum Card account within the last 12 months

I'm reading that as "Business" versions of those cards. So wouldn't that mean those who got the 100k platinum (personal) are eligible? Anyone else can help out? I'm on the fence for my wife who currently has the Platinum but has never held a business amex.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Personal card is separate from business. If you got in on the Plat 100K or PRG 50K a few weeks ago, you're still eligible for this as long as you meet the rules for Business cards.

Frankly, $10K spend for 75K MR is a bit too much for me (since the Business Gold is an FR magnet).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:31 pm

It's a business card, so people who did the 100k Platinum aren't excluded. Note that the offer expires in one week (January 28) according to the T&C.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold
Personal card is separate from business. If you got in on the Plat 100K or PRG 50K a few weeks ago, you're still eligible for this as long as you meet the rules for Business cards.

Frankly, $10K spend for 75K MR is a bit too much for me (since the Business Gold is an FR magnet).
Can you give me detail about people with this card that got FR? was it because they don't believe you can spend that much within 4 months?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

I've never been through a FR with Amex, but I do hold the PRG Business from about 4 months ago on a 50k offer with only 3k spend. Can you elaborate (via PM if you prefer) on why this is a FR magnet and how to avoid that magnet.

I really want to fly under the radar and think I do a pretty decent job, but it's always good to get educated on stuff like this. Pigs get fat....hogs get...FR's.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by mariobey
I've never been through a FR with Amex, but I do hold the PRG Business from about 4 months ago on a 50k offer with only 3k spend. Can you elaborate (via PM if you prefer) on why this is a FR magnet and how to avoid that magnet.

I really want to fly under the radar and think I do a pretty decent job, but it's always good to get educated on stuff like this. Pigs get fat....hogs get...FR's.
There doesn't seem to be any obvious trigger...but many, many people who got a business PRG subsequently got FR'd. Therefore, the biz PRG seems to be a FR magnet. There really isn't any better answer as far as I know.

MTA: I'd consider this, but...I think they might not like my applying for a new card while I'm currently dealing with my own post-plat FR.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:44 pm

Anyone has seen this offer more than once prior to this? Just want to have a good guess if it will come back later or not.

Don't really want to get one more card right after Plat and Gold a couple weeks ago.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Very tempting to get another 75K MR points to compliment my 150K haul but a bit hesitant about the FR. sigh.... decisions decisions...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What I mean by FR magnet is that $10K over 4 months tends to draw a lot more attention if you use unique spending methods than does, say, $1k in 3 months or $3k in 4 months. If you have an actual business with actual income, there's no reason to hesitate.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:22 pm

What I mean by FR magnet is that $10K over 4 months tends to draw a lot more attention if you use unique spending methods than does, say, $1k in 3 months or $3k in 4 months. If you have an actual business with actual income, there's no reason to hesitate.
+1
I think they might do the FR to get a handle on how much credit to give you. Should they give you 1k, 10k, 100k, spend limit? This offer has been coming around several times per year. Sometimes only available for a day. Whether it is worth it depends in part on how easy it is for you to come by 10k spend.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
Anyone has seen this offer more than once prior to this? Just want to have a good guess if it will come back later or not.

Don't really want to get one more card right after Plat and Gold a couple weeks ago.
I remember at least 3 prior occurences in the last year (I think).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 am

Got Amex Business Gold last time they had $50K in $5K spend. Got FR within weeks. Too many CVS VR charges. Supplied tax info..was allowed to keep my SPG, Amex Hilton and Gold card, but the CLs were reduced quite a lot.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by aegt123
Got Amex Business Gold last time they had $50K in $5K spend. Got FR within weeks. Too many CVS VR charges. Supplied tax info..was allowed to keep my SPG, Amex Hilton and Gold card, but the CLs were reduced quite a lot.
Did they say anything about the CVS charges (i.e., apart from the fact that they were the likely trigger, did they ask you any questions about the purchases)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.