In June there were articles published about AmEx transitioning to EMV by next year and putting out EMV cards starting at the end of this year. Any update on this and what AmEx cards are the first to go?
i would think Platinum and Black would be the first, mainly because they have 0% foreign transaction fees, and Gold as well cause it's also primarily for people who want to get more points for travel.
I just got off the phone with Amex Platinum customer care; they offered to overnight me an EMV card if I wanted, but I said regular mail was fine. They still sent it next-day. Just had to call and ask for it.
Quote: I just got off the phone with Amex Platinum customer care; they offered to overnight me an EMV card if I wanted, but I said regular mail was fine. They still sent it next-day. Just had to call and ask for it.

although I'm confused why this isn't standard on the Amex Platinum , black and gold cards
I'm assuming cost; until its rolled out in the US, they're only going to eat the additional EMV card cost on people who ask.
This is probably not news to many, but it might be worth noting for the uninitiated (as I was) that, per Amex CS, these are "chip & signature" cards, not "chip and PIN" cards. Although the chip provides an additional measure of security, functionally they're no different. They still won't work in an unattended chip & PIN terminal in Europe (or elsewhere), for instance.
AMEX EMV
I've had my plat EMV for a few weeks now. Works perfect
Moderator action
Please continue discussion in the established thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...te-2012-a.html