Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking expenditures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Question Tracking expenditures

I am brand spanking new to this 'lifestyle' of financing my vacations using credit card rewards. So excited but overwhelmed! Thanks for your patience, time, and help. I am a nervous wreck paying most of my bills using 3-4 different credit cards and having no way of tracking/graphing my expenditures in order to manage my spending in different categories. What's a newbie to do???
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:47 pm

Tracking expenditures

Mint.com will easily keep track of and graph all that fun stuff for you automatically when you input your account data. For on the go, I like the simplicity of the SpendingLite app for quick inputs of my outgoing spends
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Call me old fashioned, but I still use Excel.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

I've never used Excel, but I have used mint.com. Thanks so much for the information.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
morgaab welcome to FT.

I'm going to move this over to the forum for all things points and miles, Milesbuzz! where it is a bit more on-topic than here. Good question though!

Jenbel
Co-moderator, Communitybuzz!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:52 pm

I've also been using Mint, but I find that it's a bit slow in sending out updates/alerts. I've signed up for PageOnce and it's done the trick, but it doesn't seem to have as many banks/CCs as Mint
Old Dec 15, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for a site that will place every expenditure into a category. I need to know how much I'm spending on gas, eating out, education, etc. I thought pageonce only showed awards.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
This is going to upset some people using a certain four letter word around here but I'm going to say it...

For fixed expenses where I've already negotiated the price and it's going to happen no matter what, I use a credit card.

For variable expenses I'm trying to closely budget, I use CASH. Only way to keep myself reliably under control.

I consider the loss of miles on those purchases a penalty for my low willpower.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:21 pm

I use Quicken to track my 20+ credit cards and all my various bank accounts and retirement accounts. I download transactions daily to keep up to date. It's easy to assign categories and run reports.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
On a similar note, how do you guys in consulting manage this where you can use your own CC for expenses? Any ideas would be helpful
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by fandu
On a similar note, how do you guys in consulting manage this where you can use your own CC for expenses? Any ideas would be helpful
??? I charge everything where ever it has the most payback then submit my expenses each month?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I use Quicken to track my 20+ credit cards and all my various bank accounts and retirement accounts. I download transactions daily to keep up to date. It's easy to assign categories and run reports.
Maybe it's me, but I find the auto-update of quicken to be inconsistent in-working and delayed (probably due to the data in the feeds from the various banks not being there).

I use Quicken and track the sort of quantity like you do, but I find myself manually entering the transactions.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
??? I charge everything where ever it has the most payback then submit my expenses each month?
I meant between your personal and business expense when the categories match. Lets say Chase Sapphire for restaurants. That can be for noth personal and business or Amex for personal and business flight expense.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by fandu
I meant between your personal and business expense when the categories match. Lets say Chase Sapphire for restaurants. That can be for noth personal and business or Amex for personal and business flight expense.
Oh! I break them out manually but others probably have more clever methods.

It's not a major burden for me since my categories for personal tend to be different from business, and thus appear on different cards.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by skagen
Maybe it's me, but I find the auto-update of quicken to be inconsistent in-working and delayed (probably due to the data in the feeds from the various banks not being there).

I use Quicken and track the sort of quantity like you do, but I find myself manually entering the transactions.
I have to tweak the setting every few months. Usually de-activating download for a particular financial institution and reactivating it does the trick. I use Quicken for my business also and download approximately 1000 transaction a month. I would be lost without it. Downloading also alerts me to fraudulent charges almost immediately (compared to waiting for statements).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.