Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chris Elliott: "Frequent flier programs are a scam"

Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

The latest screed from Chris Elliot

Frequent flier programs are a scam - here's why you should quit yours now

If you're like 90 percent of business travelers — which is to say, if you drive everywhere but only board a plane occasionally — I need to warn you about an unusual sales pitch you'll probably hear when you fly home for the holidays.

Look for a fast-talking salesman lurking near the gate or a flight attendant trolling the aisle before landing, hawking a credit card that comes with enough bonus miles for a "free" ticket.

My advice? Don't just say "no," but, as an old coach I knew at the Naval Academy would put it, say "hell no!"

In fact, I'd recommend you to take it one step further. You can do this right now. Remove all the frequent flier cards from your pocket. Grab a pair of scissors, cut the plastic into tiny little pieces and toss it in the trash.

Stay away from mileage schemes, my friends. They're nothing but trouble.

(Before I continue, a disclaimer: The rest of this post contains material that will leave elite-level frequent fliers feeling hurt, confused and angry. If you have a platinum card or aspire to one, please stop reading. This is not for you.)
Ignore the disclaimer and read on: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/a...w?ref=linkedin
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:19 am

Agreed, and the biggest scam of them all are bloggers with credit card links.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:41 am
Suspended

I think you'd get better advice from this guy

Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
[QUOTE=Stoughton;19717136]I think you'd get better advice from this guy

LOL. Seriously, LOL.

Andyandy

Last edited by mia; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:11 am Reason: Please remove images from quotations.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
"My article isn't stupid. To prove that, I'm going to predict that people in the comments will call it stupid. Abracadabra!"
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:55 am

I think scam is going a bit far, but for most once-a-year travelers who like to use a debit card most of the frequent flyer programs do not make much sense.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
I also think "scam" is too strong a word, but it definitely takes a lot of work to earn and redeem miles efficiently. As someone willing to do the work to research how to get the most out of these programs, I actually like it because I end up getting better value than those who don't take the time to learn.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I actually think some of his complaints are valid - like advertising a 25K signup as a free trip, when availability may be very limited and redemption comes with unavoidable booking fees, and that a careless consumer may end up overspending on flights to stay on a preferred carrier - but I disagree with his conclusion that this renders the programs valueless or worse.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by gj83:19717233
I think scam is going a bit far, but for most once-a-year travelers who like to use a debit card most of the frequent flyer programs do not make much sense.
worst case you get some free magazines or something.

The main thing is to not overvalue miles, particularly if your accrual rate is slow. No point in leaving them on the table.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mattsteg
The main thing is to not overvalue miles, particularly if your accrual rate is slow. No point in leaving them on the table.
Exactly my feeling. This is a game, with some areas working very very well, and others not working at all. For some people they earn their miles very slowly, and once they hit 25k they make the incorrect assumption that they can then fly anywhere they want, at any time of year for free. I've always said with miles you get to pick any 3 of the following:

1)Destination
2)lowest mileage redemption
3)dates
4)class of travel.

People who get hung up on not getting to pick all 4, every time they go to redeem are being pessimists.

If there are no seats left for miles I can either decide to pay cash or not go. Miles are not a magic wand that give you everything you ever wanted in travel--they're a tool that goes along with cash to help save me money, give me travel flexibility to change dates, or let me fly in more comfort than I can afford with cash.

That said, I hope people everywhere read this article and get turned off. More miles/seat availability for me.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:54 am

These scams just got me $73 round trip tickets to Europe. (not to include the $100 in statement credits for opening the cards) So technically I spent $23 per ticket in the overall picture. What a scam.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 9:59 am
Used to be highman123

To be honest in my 'pre-FT' life I would have instinctively agreed with him. The entry level status I held just wasn't giving me much and I redeemed miles for Economy flights only. I had no idea about spacing out credit card signups and multi-carrier tickets on an alliance.

Of course the article is garbage and not based on facts but most peoples' gut will agree with him (not with FT)....This might be a good thing as it leaves more room for us here.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:00 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

It seems like a good segment of the population gets the card and:

1) Doesn't really know how to cash in an award (looks for peak travel season, defined dates, multiple people, a month ahead of said planned trip)

2) Gets the card, uses it here and there, is disappointed in mile accrual. (It takes xxx years to get to an award) I have a friend with an AA card that wanted to go to France... "Oh," she says to me, "I have TONS of miles! I've been using this card for years!" Turns out she doesn't even have the 40K needed for r/t off peak. That was a stark realization for her.

3) Has a British Airways card and realizes, "Hey, I might as well just buy a ticket"

4) Pays renewal fees year after year without cashing in an award "Hey, I might as well just buy a ticket".

5) Lets miles expire -- concludes the whole thing was a major "FAIL"

6) Doesn't want to change a thing in order to play the game... won't use credit cards for all purchases, won't order online, won't get a second card for spouse or self, won't read MMS about how to do it, etc. Wants free miles and redemptions to be easy...

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:02 am Reason: add double-spacing between data points
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Amtrak Select
"Frequent flier programs are a scam"

Same scam has paid for every one of my vacations, including my wife an I recently flying First Class on BA and AA from New York to Johannesburg. Though, like most elite fliers, I accrue miles by flying for business, so by adding an AA credit card, it nicely pads my account. Plus, if you have a citi gold checking account they waive the annual fee...every year.

The credit cards are marketed in a deceptive way, and unless you're a hardcore frequent flier or a big spender, probably not worthwhile.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:04 am

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
I think he's confusing status and frequent flyer points. Points are nothing more than a currency. They can be made worthless (like if a airline were to liquidate) but so can real currencies. The question is if there's value to the points and surely the points are definitively worth >0.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.