Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
If the stock was wiped out already how could more exposure possibly have done anything?

Anyway you did say you were going in big knowing the end was coming so I hope you got a good slice of the pie
Stock was wiped out but the managers would order more right away. I know, everyone said managers could not order these.

I will have to admit that I got more than my fair share of the pie.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by yerffej201
After all, aren't they part of Internetbrands also?

Can we stop bashing bloggers here?
It's a list of deals which bloggers posted.

Seriously, mods? Can you change the title/stop the bashing?
Go make another thread. This is seriously irking me.
Anyone who blogs is in the public eye by definition, just like a politician, appointed official, etc. They are therefore under public scrutiny, and it is perfectly fine for people to voice their opinion of said person. There is a line of bashing a person that is unreasonable, but I'm pretty sure that saying someone has a sense of arrogance isn't bashing that person, but just public scrutiny.

Yerffej, no one is making you read this thread. You are entitled to your opinion, but just because their opinion differs from yours doesn't mean the thread should be closed or locked. It's called freedom of speech.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Colin
Do bloggers really make $200 per approved credit card referral?
That number is not uncommon with some cards. Not all of them, but some do have commissions that high.
Originally Posted by Tiki
Now for my other idea. We don't like bloggers over-exposing deals that in the past would have been exploited by FTers with the capability of doing their own research. Why don't we dilute THEIR income? Let's turn the tables on them and over-expose credit card referrals!
Is anyone else interested? What's the best blog software to use?
Never going to actually work, but I have a standing offer to host a blog on WordPress for anyone who wants. Thus far only one person has taken me up on it but the offer is there.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
If the stock was wiped out already how could more exposure possibly have done anything?
The added and over exposure by the blogs puts in concrete terms for everyone to see - including the ones footing the bill (banks).

It's made plain and simple how we are doing what we are doing. If the VRs are just 'selling out' at OD or wherever, then the banks are likely to believe that their plan is working as intended. If on the other hand blogs are showing how the banks are being exploited - and explicitly at that - then the added exposure can be a reason to kill the deal or atleast modify it.

Explicitly showing how we are exploiting the deals is akin to rubbing their noses in it.

Overexposure kills deals. Never forget that.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by mile ho
Explicitly showing how we are exploiting the deals is akin to rubbing their noses in it.
These same members that are defending these bloggers are the same ones that said you cant kill the Mint deal. If the Mint deal can be killed prematurely then any deal can be killed. You cant keep rubbing their face in it and not expect them to react. Are some so stupid that they cant understand this or just dont care?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:49 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Everything was fine until few weeks after the bloggers started spoon feeding the masses. Thats fact.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by sbm12
That number is not uncommon with some cards. Not all of them, but some do have commissions that high.

Never going to actually work, but I have a standing offer to host a blog on WordPress for anyone who wants. Thus far only one person has taken me up on it but the offer is there.
What would be the difference in you hosting a blog on WordPress vs simply going to WordPress and signing up for a new account?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
Not sure what is more annoying the pretense or his 400 part article about his 2nd honeymoon so he can push his links even more

Originally Posted by lilpooh108
Well said. I agree with that. As an aside, Darius' "tone" on MMS is just really grating. He acts like he came up with all that stuff himself. The pretense of it being his original content part bothers me.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Everything was fine until few weeks after the bloggers started spoon feeding the masses. Thats fact.
Everything was fine until Amex and Walmart launched Bluebird. There were blog posts re VR and OD long before Bluebird.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: Many
I'm suspecting most of the people reading this thread, except for the truly embittered, will learn of a couple more blogs they might want to check out. I think it's strange to think that any one blog "kills" any one deal. Maybe it's the insiders "going big" that really kill them. And maybe they're the ones that will be bad for all of us with their silly "oh, we were cheated because you promised a $75 bonus for $1.50 in spend and we took you at your word" lawsuits.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tiki
What would be the difference in you hosting a blog on WordPress vs simply going to WordPress and signing up for a new account?
If you want a custom domain name or support from someone other than the big company I can offer those things free (assuming you pay the registrar fee). I'm pretty sure that those options are not free from WordPress. Plus I'm willing to help walk you through the process rather than assuming you just understand everything on your own.

I'm sure it isn't for everyone but the offer is there.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This "new" thread looks quite similar to this "old" one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...flyertalk.html
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you want a custom domain name or support from someone other than the big company I can offer those things free (assuming you pay the registrar fee). I'm pretty sure that those options are not free from WordPress. Plus I'm willing to help walk you through the process rather than assuming you just understand everything on your own.

I'm sure it isn't for everyone but the offer is there.
That is a nice offer. There are many folks on here that say all the bloggers are evil idiots and that they should just create their own blog or create a private forum that will keep deals secrets... and then they do nothing... and come back here and complain more. Maybe the complaining is more therapeutic than actually doing something.

That said the technical process of creating a blog is hardly difficult. My 10 year old son is very interested in my blogging and wanted to do one of his own. Took all of an hour on a Sunday afternoon and he spent many days later blogging about his lego creations. Hopefully there is not a nasty underworld of people who think lego designs should also be kept secret
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:12 pm

That is a nice offer. There are many folks on here that say all the bloggers are evil idiots and that they should just create their own blog or create a private forum that will keep deals secrets... and then they do nothing... and come back here and complain more. Maybe the complaining is more therapeutic than actually doing something.

That said the technical process of creating a blog is hardly difficult. My 10 year old son is very interested in my blogging and wanted to do one of his own. Took all of an hour on a Sunday afternoon and he spent many days later blogging about his lego creations. Hopefully there is not a nasty underworld of people who think lego designs should also be kept secret
You better not let your son blog about legos. If he outs the design for the lego-based perpetual points machine there will be hell to pay.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sk8uno
You better not let your son blog about legos. If he outs the design for the lego-based perpetual points machine there will be hell to pay.
Yeah but it will be worth it for all the affiliate commish when the new Chase Lego Builders (R) Card is launched

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.