Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Deal Killing Blogs: List deals which were pulled, and the blogs which published them.

Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:51 am

LOL, another thread from someone who can't control their anger destined to be closed.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Something tells me you won't be getting a shot at part 4...IBTL. Stop poking the bear, you know threads like this cause the bloggers to be more willing to post things right? Does someone with an attitude like yours have a right to complain about bloggers "killing" deals? Only whoever comes up with a deal has a right to say anything.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: A few
Yawn yawn yawn. Gregorygrady woke up in yet another "blame all my ills in the world on evil bloggers" mood. This pointless thread will hopefully be shut down if not removed in it's entirety.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
providing nothing positive to our community
FTG, I agree. This is sad.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
And I will make them PAY for what they've done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJCrMDl-H4.

I believe Captain Ahab's ship has left this dock. . .
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:47 am

OP - Are you actually mad at the bloggers or are you mad that the consequence of them posting the deals case then to be pulled faster? Or do you just want money for referrals yourself?

Either way, I don't see why you're mad at the bloggers. CC companies (ie: chase ink vanilla) don't come up with CC deals thinking, "FTers will be able to run around the system! That's ok!

Point being: tricks come and go and eventually if enough people use it it usually gets shut down-whether or not bloggers advertise them. On to the next one.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:48 am

So pathetic...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:57 am

Deal Killing Bloggers (aka, Are Bloggers Ruining FT, Part 3?)

I wonder if the OP actually thought this would end well.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Recently, I like many of you, have become more and more disgusted as many of the travel bloggers think only about their wallets and their own personal gain. They come and swipe info off FT, package it up so even a monkey can understand it, and proceed to spoonfeed it to everybody and anybody that will listen.

Anyways, my main purpose of this thread is not to rant about bloggers,

The main reason I am starting this thread is to identify bloggers as well as the specific deals they have posted & killed over the years on their blogs.
I'm not a blogger nor do I really follow them (note to some of them, sorry for deleting your daily posts unread, but I've got 2,800 emails in my in-box), but since you're asking for input I'll provide mine.

Please note I am speaking as a regular FTer and not as a TB member.

While I rarely go on bloggers sites (I'm not a CC churner), bloggers do serve a purpose & are helpful to many people (beyond FT). In some cases, deals wouldn't be found if it weren't for bloggers finding them & sharing.

Do some of them make $$ from referral links? Yes. Do all? Maybe/maybe not. As long as a blogger is upfront about saying they'll get a spiff from a link I don't have a problem w/ it. Even if they don't, I don't per se. Like all things, consumers need to educate themselves.

Do I think bloggers are evil/ruining FT (your definition of 'ruining' FT seems to be a deal getting pulled)? No. I would posit that most FTers come to FT to learn more about their programs than they do to learn about CC churning or the latest, cheapest mileage run.

Are bloggers soley responsible for killing deals? No. There are many ways for deals to be found/killed - besides bloggers, there are non-blog people who tweet, post on FB, there are online, print & television outlets. There's also the realization by some companies that the way they structured a deal doesn't accomplish their goals, so they shut it down.

Sidetrack - the same is true for mileage run, cheap, inexpensive & mistake fares. Many ways for them to be discovered/shut down, not just because they're posted on FT.

BTW - your post (especially if this is a part 3 ) does sound like you're ranting against bloggers.

I will go on record as saying that I find your post definitely not in the 'spirit of Flyertalk', which is a bulletin board for people to share information & help each other. It is NOT a Salem witch hunt bulletin board.

Lastly, I do think it ironic that you want to name & shame bloggers because they're killing the deal. What your post sounds like (to me) is someone who is selfish & wants to keep the deal for yourself - ie, I got mine or hey, I want to get mine before the deal gets pulled.

Also, if you're going to go on a rant, you'll need to add FTers & lots of other non-FTers to your list, because if there's any group that can find a loophole & exploit it in a way not intended by a company, it's those who go after miles & points.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
This thread is a joke.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Seriously? Another thread on the same tired sentiment?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:22 am

Do bloggers really make $200 per approved credit card referral?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Do bloggers really make $200 per approved credit card referral?
I have wondered that also, not that I care. IBTL.

I also think some of the "shaming" of bloggers actually drives traffic. I don't read MMS much, but I'll go look when the complaints pop up. I can't be the only one.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
I do not agree with you. The first time i know point and mile world was from MMS blog. From there I learn a lot and from there i became one of flyertalk. I do not have time to check every board of flyertalk. Bloggers find the best deals from flyertalk to post in their blogs. There is nothing wrong with that. You think they kill deal. The deal is just for you, or a small group of flyertalk? I do not think so. Recently some people blame MMS for killing vanilla deal. It is ridiculous. When I know bluebird, I know this deal will be dead soon. Chase definitely cannot stand OD, VANILLA AND BLUEBIRD trick. There is nothing to do with blogger.

I do believe everyone have their own way to judge a blogger. And they do not need your help.

Four days ago, I blame lucky(one mile a time) inflate the value of hilton point to promote his application link for citibank hilton reserve card. I made a mistake. Lucky wrote the value of hotel point before he has referral link of hilton reserve card. I sincerely apologize to lucky.

Last edited by kunk00; Nov 21, 2012 at 3:58 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:25 am

This is funny

I just sit back and laugh. It seems that Grady is just an old sad-sack who is made he didn't get to rape the scam enough before it shut down. What does he have, 1 or 2 people that agree with him? Too funny

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.