Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Earning points for Hurricane Sandy recovery donations

Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I put together a list of the promos available for earning points by donating to charities associated with Huricane Sandy relief efforts this morning. I'm not certain that it is complete so if anyone else knows of any please share. Here's what I've got:
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thank you for posting. I already made a donation to the Cdn Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. In the past, I was always able to send a copy of my receipt to AA and UA for the 500 bonus miles.

I found the AA address from previous donations was
[email protected]

My last UA donation for the tsunami went to
[email protected]
That won't work this time. Does anyone have an email address that I can use to send UA a copy of my donation receipt?

TIA
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Interesting. I'm planning to donate through my workplace, as they will match my donations 2X.

But it wouldn't be bad to pick up a few miles as part of a second, parallel donation here, too. I guess this is an opportunity to "double dip".

Since I just applied for a couple new credit cards, this looks like a perfect way to work towards the minimum spend.

And it's all tax deductible, too, so it's all good all the way around - am I missing any catch?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Text REDCROSS to 90999, it puts a $10 donation on your next cell bill. Pay with a card like Ink and that's 5X
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:00 pm

Sure, 5X points is OK, but it's only 5 X 10 points. And it's $10 out-of-pocket.

I'm thinking about a different approach...donating $2500 to the American Red Cross through my workplace. My company will double match my contribution, so Red Cross gets $7500 ($2500 from me, $5000 from my company). I get a $2500 tax deduction, zero out-of-pocket (other than the float, which I don't really mind), I knock 2500 miles off my new credit card spend requirement, and I get 2500 miles. Everybody wins.

Almost as good as a fully-stocked rack of Vanilla Reload cards and a disinterested Office Depot cashier...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
And it's all tax deductible, too, so it's all good all the way around - am I missing any catch?
Tax deductible and tax credit and 2 very different animals. You don't get 100% credit for deductions, just whatever your tax bracket may be, 2012 tops out at 35% for $388,000+. Give in amounts you can accept not fully coming back to you.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Hilton is giving 10 points per dollar donated and matching contributions up to $100,000
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:41 pm

Is there any Link at hand on how to donate and get the Hilton-Points?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Tax deductible and tax credit and 2 very different animals. You don't get 100% credit for deductions, just whatever your tax bracket may be, 2012 tops out at 35% for $388,000+. Give in amounts you can accept not fully coming back to you.
Good point - thanks for the reality check!!!

Here's a link to a handy charitable Contributions Tax Deduction calculator for anyone who wants to run the numbers.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 5:29 am

"From now until December 31, 2012 we will give you 10 HHonors Bonus Points for every $1 USD donated to support the relief efforts.* In addition, were matching all donations up to $100,000 USD."

globalgiving.org/hhonors

Originally Posted by blueeagle3
Is there any Link at hand on how to donate and get the Hilton-Points?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Both SPG and HHonors have added Sandy "deals."

SPG will match your donation, converting points to dollars along the way. HH is offering 10 points per dollar.

SPG:https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...rCode=REDCROSS

HH:http://www.globalgiving.org/hhonors/?wt.mc_id=CMEM+

Both have been added to the master post here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...overy-efforts/.

Originally Posted by margarita girl
My last UA donation for the tsunami went to
[email protected]
That won't work this time. Does anyone have an email address that I can use to send UA a copy of my donation receipt?
I wouldn't expect that to do anything as you didn't donate via their portal.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Thank you for posting. I already made a donation to the Cdn Red Cross for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. In the past, I was always able to send a copy of my receipt to AA and UA for the 500 bonus miles.

I found the AA address from previous donations was
[email protected]

<snip>

TIA
I'm not sure that will work anymore. You used to send your receipt in order to get the credit, but this time you just enter your AA number on the Red Cross donation page and that's it.

You can try, though. Let us know what happens, please.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Looks like AA will be giving me the miles. I got an email from them yesterday saying they couldn't open the file I sent them (.pdf ), so I resent a .jpg file and also a screen shot of my receipt.

I haven't tried contacting UA yet. I'll be 1K in early Dec so thinking I might get more action then.

HH turned me down initially, but I asked nicely again since my donation was made before I received their announcement (proving that this wasn't my incentive to donate) and they said they would give me the points as a one time exception.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:28 am

While all of these won't net miles, this includes a list of seven online donation possibilities:
http://mashable.com/2012/10/31/help-sandy-victims/

ITUNES is accepting Red Cross donations. There is a link in this article (which I haven't tried yet because my laptop doesn't have itunes downloaded). Most airline shopping portals offer a few miles for ITUNES ^
http://mashable.com/2012/11/01/itune...nations-sandy/
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 pm

globalgiving.org/hhonors

Thanks!

So i can say i donated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.