Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by I can see for miles
Please disregard my previous post. I am an idiot. I was looking at the first page of transactions on my Bluebird account, which totaled $3,500 in bean loads, and missed the previous page of earlier transactions this month in which I had loaded $1,500. I'm typically very good at recording and tracking such things, but in this case I screwed up. Enjoy your ice cream!
Yes 5k max per 30 rolling days among a combined Vanilla + Walmart Reloads is allowed. It's best not to waste your time nor Amex reps' time in asking why it won't load more than that. Less attention to oneself.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
Originally Posted by psychoandy
to be fair there's only been 1 report in this thread, unless you have some other sources. i think i will try and test this out and see what happens. also i'm sure that most places will ignore the memo anyways, since my servicers always allocate extra payments in the least advantageous way for me.
I can also confirm that the memo line did not show up on the actual check, at least for me. I ordered a check in the name of my apartment company, but put my address on there so I would receive the check first in order to review it and personally deliver it this time. There was no memo added.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Follow-up

So, BB CS flat out lied about my bank running the check through on the 16th because my bank called this morning (21st) to say that they just received it in the mail. The envelope it was in was postmarked on the 19th. So, if you want to pay anything by check through this send it very, very early. I set this up on Nov. 9th and it was supposed to be at the bank on the 16th and just got there today (the 21st). I feel a long unhappy email to AE will be in my future...

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
I got to talk to Bluebird CS today and it does not bode well. Had a check cut through Bluebird and sent for my mortgage. Bank said it has never arrived and AE says it was supposed to be there by the 16th. Long wait time and AE kept saying it was there and to talk to bank. I kept saying that I had talked to bank fifteen minutes earlier and they can not find any receipt of check. Bank says I need proof from AE that the check cleared through them and supposedly AE is going to send me proof through the mail (can not email it or fax it) in 7 to 10 business days. I am not holding my breath. AE CS seemed to think that the bank should be able to take a printout of my transaction history on Bluebird account (????). I can go in and pay mortgage (not due for a couple of more weeks) but thought that this would be a good way to earn some miles on something I had to pay every month anyway. Now, not so sure it is a good idea. Guess this is a case of caveat emptor.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by tys90
Quick data point for using Billpay to Wells Fargo Home Mortgages:

If you input the wrong loan number, the payment will still go through Bluebird's system but Wells Fargo won't process it. I had to call in to Bluebird to file a dispute and according to them, I will get an answer within 2 business days. Luckily Wells Fargo was patient with me about the mixed up payments and waived any late fees for this month. I went ahead and used their online system to make the payment via my checking account. No extra CC spend this month for me but could be worse.
Data point to add: I tried initiating my payment from the Wells Fargo side so I could put more principle in my payment. For some reason, Bluebird would not honor this request and payment was cancelled.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by tys90
Quick data point for using Billpay to Wells Fargo Home Mortgages:

If you input the wrong loan number, the payment will still go through Bluebird's system but Wells Fargo won't process it. I had to call in to Bluebird to file a dispute and according to them, I will get an answer within 2 business days. Luckily Wells Fargo was patient with me about the mixed up payments and waived any late fees for this month. I went ahead and used their online system to make the payment via my checking account. No extra CC spend this month for me but could be worse.
Did you enter a completely wrong loan # or did they have issues with dashes/no dashes? I'm trying my next WF mtg payment in a few weeks
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
AMEX lied? Oh, please - they simply suspended your truth while they were doing a Financial Review. Perfectly within their terms and conditions if you read the fine print.

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
So, BB CS flat out lied about my bank running the check through on the 16th because my bank called this morning (21st) to say that they just received it in the mail. The envelope it was in was postmarked on the 19th. So, if you want to pay anything by check through this send it very, very early. I set this up on Nov. 9th and it was supposed to be at the bank on the 16th and just got there today (the 21st). I feel a long unhappy email to AE will be in my future...

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Funny and (hopefully) useful story

Made mortgage with BB last Thursday. My bank required a paper check sent. Delivered by 11/20. So I call my bank today (21st). Was told to call back Monday to to track it. Just as we were hanging up, checks were delivered to her desk for processing and mine was on top. ^

So, the check had my name and address on it. My account number was bold and printed next to my name. Also she confirmed that it did in fact arrive on the 20th.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SGJazz
Made mortgage with BB last Thursday. My bank required a paper check sent. Delivered by 11/20. So I call my bank today (21st). Was told to call back Monday to to track it. Just as we were hanging up, checks were delivered to her desk for processing and mine was on top. ^

So, the check had my name and address on it. My account number was bold and printed next to my name. Also she confirmed that it did in fact arrive on the 20th.
What bank do you have? I have Wells Fargo, and I hope it doesn't come to paper checks. That makes me a little nervous.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
What bank do you have? I have Wells Fargo, and I hope it doesn't come to paper checks. That makes me a little nervous.
Schools First FCU
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by scwam
Yes 5k max per 30 rolling days among a combined Vanilla + Walmart Reloads is allowed. It's best not to waste your time nor Amex reps' time in asking why it won't load more than that. Less attention to oneself.
Are you sure it's 30 days and not calendar month?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by psychoandy
you're thinking about it the wrong way. spending 70 bucks in fees to get 17,500 UR points is essentially buying miles at 0.4 cents per mile + your time and effort going to OD and CVS...if you don't think this is a good rate, don't bother with it.

also i wouldn't really take a Chase "banker" seriously, especially with the CC game. bet they probably can't even name the 3 credit bureaus or how to call for recon. but the fact that you're uncomfortable charging $3500 for essentially cash equivalents IMO means you probably shouldn't do it unless you have additional spend to back it up.
Originally Posted by tdrag97
Other problem is if he can use those Visa gc to get those VR... still haven't found any place that would accept these VGC, MGC, etc for VR. all the store in my area req ID and CC to match
Thanks for the input. I know miles aren't worth purchasing if you don't have an expectation of using them. Less than 1/2 a cent per mile seems reasonable and in fact good since a visit to OD and CVS are fairly convenient.

The CVS portion is still a mystery. The next step is to check this out in my area. Getting the Ink and BB accounts set up, searching through this thread for the details of a plan and find the stores seems to be the most time consuming. Once it become routine it won't be so inefficient.

Another way to think of it would be I have 2 options: pay the mortgage same as usual (deducted from bank account) and annually receive 1% cash back ($380 ) or put in a little effort and get 100K to 192K miles for a trip of memories. I don't know of another beneficial option for payment.

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Would you pay $4200 for it? Valuation should be based on what you'd actually pay.

"Hey banker, I want to do something that I think you wouldn't like. It might just make me an unprofitable customer! So can I? Huh? Can I please do something that, in my gut, feels like it's manipulating the system? Hopefully, you'll say it's ok, rather than make some kind of notation on my account or alert your superiors to my plan. Thanks."
MDtR, thanks for your input too. It's a good question to ask "how much would you pay?" I've wondered what we'd pay for tickets if miles weren't an option. And I haven't been able to decide. All our Business and First class to Europe has been with miles from MR points. The first time I found out comparable seats on Aer Lingus came up on Orbitz at $5K I was shocked. Made the memory of the trip even more special There was a time I never thought I'd pay $100 for a pair of jeans. But I have. So, would I pay $4,200 for a ticket. Who knows? If there was no other form of payment (as in miles), we really wanted to go on the trip, and we had the money to do so, I guess maybe we would. My miles have a value for me. It's more of a question "how valuable is 100K miles". I put a lot a thought and planning into spending them because I equate them with $4,200 since that's what it would cost to be in that seat on the way to a dream trip.

Your conversation with the banker sounds like it could be that way but it went a bit differently. Without all the cautioning on FT I would merely look at the allowable parameters in the Ink documents and assume there would be no problem with $1K daily spend at OD, up to $5K per month. Anything, including the rack of cards, in the store would be game.

It was because of FT that I began thinking of my business and how the Ink card would be a benefit. Since we had applied for 2 cards online we went to the bank to apply for the Ink. At that time, I was up front with the business banker that I was into the Chase cards for the points with certain categories. It would be the same spend, but it would be spread to the most beneficial card. He could see we had regular use with the MR card and I explained we had outgrown the benefits and wanted to spread expenses to cards with other category bonuses. He understood because he knows they use these sign-up bonuses and bonus categories to market their cards. There's a lot of competition out there.

After that visit the bank called to see if we would want to come in and talk about other ways they could help us with our accounts. In that meeting I was again up front and said we got the new cards for the bonuses and to spread spending to the most beneficial cards. Still no problem. I explained my business doesn't need much in the way of staples and paper from office supply stores but I could really utilize the GC rack and asked if that would be a problem as long as I had comparable other spending on the card. His response was "the banks make money on these cards". As long as I stayed within the allowed limits he saw no problems. I have no doubts Chase will profit more from our business than I will with the amount of UR points I get from them every year. My manipulations will be well within those allowed by the t & c's. It's all the cautions from FT that have created a heightened concern to have a back-up plan if we're ever questioned.

We've put all our auto pay accounts on the Ink so there will be a balance of other spending. The Ink/OD/BB scheme is just a bonus to the Chase cards. If it works, it works. If it disappears the main plan is still intact.

Is he the definitive on this . . . no. He's one banker at one branch. But these discussions are my back-up if there's ever the slightest issue.

Last edited by gardengirl; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would you pay $4200 for it? Valuation should be based on what you'd actually pay.
Exactly. The valuation should be based on the amount one actually is willing to pay out of pocket. Otherwise it is just a "number game" to make one feel good about it.
Our CX first class to HKG carried a price tag between $10.5K to $12.5K for the 135K AA miles we used and $45 taxes/$25 booking fee each ticket. Would I think my miles generate 7 cpm value? Hell no! I am just grateful that with BD one could have the required 2x135K AA miles every 13.5 months without engaging any of the juggernaut required with OD/CVS/BB.

"Hey banker, I wan
t to do something that I think you wouldn't like. It might just make me an unprofitable customer! So can I? Huh? Can I please do something that, in my gut, feels like it's manipulating the system? Hopefully, you'll say it's ok, rather than make some kind of notation on my account or alert your superiors to my plan. Thanks."
Not only that, the bankers can not really help when the CC dept comes down hard on you.

Someone told me a sad story several months ago - Chase would not approve her 4th card that was the SW card after 2 separate reconsideration requests. She then went pestering her banker to get that approved. Well, the SW card showed up online for one single day. Next day, every card was CLOSED including the CSP she was about to meet the spend requirement. After a few calls Banker told her there was nothing he could do - it was handled by another dept which he wouldn't reveal and he said once that dept made a decision it was final. That was it.
Long story short, she eventually went thru several channels including the government's - but Chase wouldn't budge other than sent her a $500 check as a courtesy to the 50K UR pt bonus despite she hadn't quite met the spend requirement yet. The only reason Chase given about card closure - "business decision". Chase made it VERY CLEAR in the letter that it is pure goodwill Chase issued the $500 check. A few months later a couple un-related events happened to her Chase bank account, that turned out to be a trigger for Chase to abruptly closed the remaining bank accounts without any warning. My gut guess is, her SSN has been on the "no fly list" that Chase keeps on the radar of its system - it is just a matter of time that something would trigger the final purge of an unwanted customer.

I am not going to comment it which side is at the wrong just post this as a reminder:

Those who think the Chase bankers at the branch could help you when you run into trouble with your cards, you are being very naive. They operate from different departments under different managements and rules. Unless you have a very sizable asset account at the branch, dont expect your "personal banker" would actually of any much help when you run afoul with the CC dept and whatever dept(s) behind it to make the decision of closure. How sizable of one's assets need to be so the branch banker could have some say, it is anyone's guess.

Last edited by Happy; Nov 21, 2012 at 10:52 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:30 am

Well our local CVS just changed 'policy'. $1000 limit per day per customer, says the wife who called me after picking up 2 cards.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Well our local CVS just changed 'policy'. $1000 limit per day per customer, says the wife who called me after picking up 2 cards.
My local CVS showed me a similar message on their screen when I tried to buy 4 yesterday, but she said it was per transaction, so she offered to break it up into 2 transactions of 2 each, which I graciously accepted.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM Reserve
I just bought my first 3 beans, successfully, from a CVS in my area. Lady said there's a $1,000 limit, so she split it into 2 transactions. Will go make my first BB transaction in a little while for a cup of coffee. $1 per pay period direct deposit has been set up. Now, to find one of those moneypass ATMs close by. Emory looks promising with several credit union atms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.