Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Gold Delta Amex 70,000 SM & $100 Statement credit

Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I apologize if this is a bad post. I am posting this because it is larger than the 30,000 miles bonus they are currently running on the main website.

I just finished booking a flight and I was provided an offer for:
  • $100 Statement credit after making a Delta purchase within first 3 months of membership
  • 25,000 miles after first purchase
  • 45,000 bonus miles after $5,000 spend in first 6 months
  • $95 fee waived for the first year

Is this a good offer based off of historical Delta offers? If yes, more people might be able to get this deal since Delta lets you cancel a ticket within the first 24 hours of booking.

Can someone tell me (or direct me to something I can read) the best use of Delta miles (for example, British Airways miles are good for short haul flights on AA in the US, does Delta have a niche? best for international to Australia or something?)? All I ever hear is SkyPesos so I currently do not think very highly of Delta miles and might not apply for this offer.

*side note* Is there way for me to attach a screenshot for you all to see?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:27 pm

Gold Delta Amex 70,000 miles & $100 Statement credit offer

I'll take anyone's SkyMiles any day. I used them for a trip to Europe and didn't have much trouble finding seats.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:34 pm

Wow I'd take this right away!!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:40 pm

Do you have the promo code for this offer? This is the extremely generous offer.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Is this a good offer based off of historical Delta offers?
Yes, this is a very good offer. Among the highest I have heard. Perhaps others have seen higher, but not me.

Can someone tell me (or direct me to something I can read) the best use of Delta miles (for example, British Airways miles are good for short haul flights on AA in the US, does Delta have a niche? best for international to Australia or something?)? All I ever hear is SkyPesos so I currently do not think very highly of Delta miles and might not apply for this offer.
In my opinion, DL miles are best for Business class flights to Europe @ 100k or Asia @ 120k. Availability for 1 award ticket is easy to find in advance with some flexibility. If you are looking for 2 tickets, look to Skyteam partners. DL allows 1 open jaw AND 1 stopover on awards, if you want the most value.

Caveats:

1. the DL award calendar is buggy at best making the search for award space difficult even though it could be available AND many partners can not be searched on DL.

2. Getting to the international point of departure on SkyMiles is often the most difficult part of booking any international trip and many times can be outright impossible, so be prepared and have a plan to get to the international point of departure if need be.

3. There is a rumor that SkyMiles may change in the very near future such that they are valued far less.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyonft
Do you have the promo code for this offer? This is the extremely generous offer.
Sorry, I don't think there is a promocode. I just have a link after I bought my ticket.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FederalFlyer
Yes, this is a very good offer. Among the highest I have heard. Perhaps others have seen higher, but not me.

In my opinion, DL miles are best for Business class flights to Europe @ 100k or Asia @ 120k. Availability for 1 award ticket is easy to find in advance with some flexibility. If you are looking for 2 tickets, look to Skyteam partners. DL allows 1 open jaw AND 1 stopover on awards, if you want the most value.

Caveats:

1. the DL award calendar is buggy at best making the search for award space difficult even though it could be available AND many partners can not be searched on DL.

2. Getting to the international point of departure on SkyMiles is often the most difficult part of booking any international trip and many times can be outright impossible, so be prepared and have a plan to get to the international point of departure if need be.

3. There is a rumor that SkyMiles may change in the very near future such that they are valued far less.
Thanks for your input. This rumor scares me. I'd hate to get the miles and then find out I wasted my time. It also seems I'll need to read up on how to search for flights. Do you have any tips or can you PM me some good reading material (if you know of any).
Would JFK be an international point of departure for Delta?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:58 pm

The problem is if you have a delta card, delta.com knows in your profile.

I guess somebody without the card will need to book a ticket to find out if it appears and the type of link. With a 24 hour cancellation policy, it should be quite painless to experiment with.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:11 pm

Thanks for your input. This rumor scares me. I'd hate to get the miles and then find out I wasted my time. It also seems I'll need to read up on how to search for flights. Do you have any tips or can you PM me some good reading material (if you know of any).
Would JFK be an international point of departure for Delta?
Can you please provide details of the ticket you booked?
domestic/international
economy/business
any other details you are WILLING to give - # of pax, country of departure/arrival

more the details, the easier it might be to run an experiment to replicate the offer.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
This is a pretty nice offer, even with the problems with DL awards (though I've never had a problem even with two people and moderate flexibility). I'd take it in a heartbeat if it was offered to me.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:27 pm
xp0

Yes this is very nice. I was happy when I found out I could get 40k miles.... 70k is great
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:03 pm

My wife got the gold Delta AMEX for 50,000 miles after $750 spend and first ear fee waived and I had thought that was a good offer. The spend for your offer is much higher but they give you 6 months to do it plus you get the $100 credit. Best deal I have seen.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: VX Silver
AMEX cards on Delta have a 24 month waiting period for bonus points right?

I got the 30k offer abou 6 months ago... bummer.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T3pleShot
Can you please provide details of the ticket you booked?
domestic/international
economy/business
any other details you are WILLING to give - # of pax, country of departure/arrival

more the details, the easier it might be to run an experiment to replicate the offer.
I booked an economy one way ticket from RDU to LGA for 1 person.

It sounds like I should jump on this offer from the input that has been given.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Thanks for posting OP! So the offer popped up just before the payment screen, or right after selecting flights and before entering pax info?

I logged in with my wife's account since she has never had a DL AMEX (and I have the Platinum already). After flight selection there's a banner "ad" for the Gold amex, though at least in her case it's just the standard 30K deal (selected a ~$250 domestic, one ticket).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.