[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints [App must be APPROVED by 9.4.2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Applied for the personal card in January of this year. After being approved, I was denied the 10,000 points sign up bonus since I had previously received this bonus three years ago and had cancelled the card a little over two years prior to January.

No problem receiving the spending bonus again.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I was having the same trouble as others this morning - the links being sent only showed 25k bonus.

As of right now, a different e-mail is being sent. The title is different - it now says: "Limited Time Offer - Earn up to 30,000 Starpoints"

and the annual fee IS waived the first year.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Arggg... Has anyone seen this before? Will I have to close a card to get approved?

"According to our records, you currently have the maximum number and type of American Express Card accounts that we allow."

I have 4 AmEX personal charge cards, and an AmEX Platinum Business. I've had 6 cards previously, so this was a bit of a shock.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by chrisj500
Arggg... Has anyone seen this before? Will I have to close a card to get approved?

"According to our records, you currently have the maximum number and type of American Express Card accounts that we allow."

I have 4 AmEX personal charge cards, and an AmEX Platinum Business. I've had 6 cards previously, so this was a bit of a shock.
Try calling recon and work your magic: 866-314-0237
Old Aug 7, 2012, 5:31 pm

I think AmEx just recently explicitly changed the terms to the new "not having card within last 12 months". Before that, I think it was generally assumed you had to wait 2 years from expiration of similar card.

I'm thinking in January the old terms might have been in existence (my guess is AmEx has decide since to get more competitive with allowing prior holders to come back), but that is only a guess.

Originally Posted by rbwpi
Applied for the personal card in January of this year. After being approved, I was denied the 10,000 points sign up bonus since I had previously received this bonus three years ago and had cancelled the card a little over two years prior to January.

Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
Try calling recon and work your magic: 866-314-0237
Thank you. I gave that a shot, and the CSR indicated that I'd likely need to talk to customer service. She implied that I likely would need to close an account to get this approved.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by rbwpi

Oh shoot, that's not good. Just asked a friend to apply, his last SPG application was July 2010 and cancelled it Jun 2011.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by teammjs
I think AmEx just recently explicitly changed the terms to the new "not having card within last 12 months".
I hope you are right. But where did you heard about this terms change?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:07 pm

The 12 month language is explicit in the new offer T&Cs when describing the bonus. It's similar language to some of the recent Gold Card offers as well, and it's relatively new.

Previously, I think there was just generic "first time card holders only" language, but in reality evidence pointed to "first time" being not having the card open in last 24 months.

WHEN this switch started, I don't know, but I think it's been some point this year.

Originally Posted by echip
I hope you are right. But where did you heard about this terms change?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Gold
Applying for the personal card this week. Glad I waited instead of applying during my last churn!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
The 12 month language is explicit in the new offer T&Cs when describing the bonus. It's similar language to some of the recent Gold Card offers as well, and it's relatively new.

Previously, I think there was just generic "first time card holders only" language, but in reality evidence pointed to "first time" being not having the card open in last 24 months.

WHEN this switch started, I don't know, but I think it's been some point this year.
So am I right in thinking that this is now churnable every 12 months? I've had it before about 3 years ago, but it seems the terms are pretty iron-clad that I should get the welcome bonus.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by abcx
So am I right in thinking that this is now churnable every 12 months? I've had it before about 3 years ago, but it seems the terms are pretty iron-clad that I should get the welcome bonus.
12 months after you CANCEL. Keep in mind if you make a habit of canceling too soon after opening accounts, Amex may decide to deny you future approvals. So, churn responsibly.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by akcae
12 months after you CANCEL. Keep in mind if you make a habit of canceling too soon after opening accounts, Amex may decide to deny you future approvals. So, churn responsibly.
Yeah, I cancelled it more than a year ago. But I had the Biz card less than 12 months ago. I normally keep the card till the fee comes due and then cancel it.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Too many to list
amex always asks my wife and I for IRS return documents with every amex cc application. anyone else has this problem?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: United, AA, Hilton
Never had that problem...do you have high credit limits given to you by am ex or other issuers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.