Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
OK, since you ain't ADK, Jr. how the heck are you bagging these miles? I would have assumed you are just out of college with a low credit score, but do tell! You were in diapers for the pudding game, you also seem a might young to have minted miles and too undercapitalized to have a large scale paper recycling operation. What are you doing - BITS mileage runs? Can you loan your long lost uncle Aloha 50k, too.
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I'm 22 years old and have earned over 100,000 FF miles between AA & UA just in the year 2012. In the last two years I've made two trips to South America (spent 5 months there total), two trips to Hawaii (second trip to Hawaii was all first class), a two week trip to Sydney, Australia (business class upgrade on the flight back-best flight of my life, I think MSRP one way was about $15,000, rumor mill went crazy after that one) andddddd i just booked a trip to Turkey, open jaw flying home from Paris after new years 2012/2013. If it is hard explaining the points rich cash poor concept to somebody as a 40 year old, try explaining it as a 22 year old. Nobody understands. My uncle honestly asked to borrow $50K from me a few months ago. It is really funny to me, most of the time I just let people draw their own conclusions. It is fun. Earn em and burn em baby!
ADK, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Getting 100,000 miles in a year, while significant, is not at all undoable. A simple two credit card sign up bonuses will get you there without any flying at all. While certainly impressive to the average person, we are on FT, where most of us are not average in these matters, and you should not assume such based on someone's age. I am a college student, under 20, and scored 50k miles with the UA MP card. Missed the AA Citi cards, but going on a MR later this year that will net me 25k AA miles, both without the knowledge of my parents. This isn't including any of my other flying I've done or will do. My FICO score is in the 770s (Though I will admit I'm not sure exactly why this is). I always pay off my balances in full, and often will pay for others on my CC and get reimbursed. I probably make a good income compared to the average college student, but it's likely what many of you make in a month. I absolutely love traveling and don't mind flying BIS. Who says young people can't get into the game? Especially with the Internet, it's so easy to get information.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Jul 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
ADK, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Getting 100,000 miles in a year, while significant, is not at all undoable. A simple two credit card sign up bonuses will get you there without any flying at all. While certainly impressive to the average person, we are on FT, where most of us are not average in these matters, and you should not assume such based on someone's age. I am a college student, under 20, and scored 50k miles with the UA MP card. Missed the AA Citi cards, but going on a MR later this year that will net me 25k AA miles, both without the knowledge of my parents. This isn't including any of my other flying I've done or will do. My FICO score is in the 770s (Though I will admit I'm not sure exactly why this is). I always pay off my balances in full, and often will pay for others on my CC and get reimbursed. I probably make a good income compared to the average college student, but it's likely what many of you make in a month. I absolutely love traveling and don't mind flying BIS. Who says young people can't get into the game? Especially with the Internet, it's so easy to get information.
The citi AA cards are still available - do a quick search on milebuzz - 100k AA miles available if you can meet 6k spend in 4 months - best deal out there
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by used_wardrobe
The citi AA cards are still available - do a quick search on milebuzz - 100k AA miles available if you can meet 6k spend in 4 months - best deal out there
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I will go check it out.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Be careful... if they see you have lots of miles or points, they may hit you up for free flights and rooms.

"Wow, you travel for work and collect so many miles on so many airlines. You can't possibly use them all, so how about sharing some?"
Just smile and say,
"Oh, but I do use them, and you could earn your own."

I usually start them out on the Starwood AMEX, I think it's the best hotel card, with low redemption charges. A Westin on Michigan Ave in downtown Chicago for 10,000 points? The Pulitzer in Amsterdam, the Luxury Collection, for 12,000 a night? Sheraton in downtown Brussels for $60 and 4,000 points? Can't touch this!

I of course get 5,000 points for the referral.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: Several dozen
So if Apieinthesky can do all this at his age there is at least hope for his generation. My point is - take note you late teens and twenty somethings who say you cannot get cards to fly free - it can indeed be done. But more than above average brains are required - like Key West, you have to have a strong will to secede.

And move fast Apieinthesky, as soon ADK, Jr. will be unleased upon the banks and airlines of this world. He's had a card since first grade and has a history with AMEX. If he follows in his father's flip flops, with his size 13 feet, the inventory of free tickets will soon be trampled.

PM me if ya wanna kick your volume up another level. We are always recruiting potential new members at The TCC and it is far easier to bag your first hundred countries when you are young. Have a feeling you will go far, kid.

Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by used_wardrobe
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I will go check it out.
Start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ey-appear.html

Read the first post on the first page first (it contains the working links and a lot of basic information about applying for the offers), then read the last few pages (for the latest info, which often includes repeats of answers to frequent asked questions ), and then ask there if you still have questions.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by satman40
Sounds like class welfare to me.

If you do not work for it you do not deserve it.

As CC in Asia become more popular you will find the free rides a little harder to find, most Asians handle money better than most Americans.
They're undeniably more frugal and tend to be very price-sensitive (except in the middle and top when it comes to "status" items).

OTOH, I've found 'em generally not to be good at valuing their own time. They might spend an inordinate amount of shopping time to save a small amount of money or, conversely, a lot of time selling at a market without very much to sell and not much profit on a sale. All the focus is on the money rather than the money vs. time.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by lecter
For someone who doesn't make much cash (like me), various promotions and not caring where you go at any particular time are the way to go...
Good point. You get the deal and then figure out the reason to go, which is the opposite of the way most people would approach it.

There's also a split in many workplaces between people with kids and those without. The latter group has flexibility to travel in the spring and fall low seasons, when school is in and the situation with both paid deals and mileage awards is better. If you're in a workplace where vacation requests can get rejected because of staffing coverage, being able to go in April, May or October could be very helpful (or you may lack seniority to get the more in-demand times, anyway).
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I'm a Ozzie and wish I had the benefits of credit card sign ups. I'm a poor factory worker who has a travel hobby and people/friends can't believe I'm flying in F on a RTW ticket for a family of four. They know I'm broke as a joke but they also know I'm up to something just don't know what. Although some of them think I've won the lottery but really I'm just awake at the right time I.e 4 mile ticket . It's not lucky it's dedication .
I've heard before that I must have some kind of funding source (a rich uncle?) that I'm hiding.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
... we went to bed each night hungry with nothing to eat but Healthy Choice pudding.
And Eggo waffles. And Kellogg's cereal with nasty dried-up berries in it. And Dannon water to drink. And some sort of Swiss Colony beef logs. And Emmi cheese. And some popcorn.

While we sat and read 400 magazines a month.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Aug 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Start here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ey-appear.html

Read the first post on the first page first (it contains the working links and a lot of basic information about applying for the offers), then read the last few pages (for the latest info, which often includes repeats of answers to frequent asked questions ), and then ask there if you still have questions.
Thanks, but a bit late. Applied for, and got approved for both personal cards I'm going to have to recruit my parents to meet the minimum spend on these though. Excited for those 100k miles though!

So if Apieinthesky can do all this at his age there is at least hope for his generation. My point is - take note you late teens and twenty somethings who say you cannot get cards to fly free - it can indeed be done. But more than above average brains are required - like Key West, you have to have a strong will to secede.

And move fast Apieinthesky, as soon ADK, Jr. will be unleased upon the banks and airlines of this world. He's had a card since first grade and has a history with AMEX. If he follows in his father's flip flops, with his size 13 feet, the inventory of free tickets will soon be trampled.

PM me if ya wanna kick your volume up another level. We are always recruiting potential new members at The TCC and it is far easier to bag your first hundred countries when you are young. Have a feeling you will go far, kid.
If he tramples over my Sperry's, I will be very upset and will trample all over his flip flops, which I bet will hurt more. A hundred countries, huh. I'm a fifth of the way there. One disadvantage of being young is that you don't remember everything. I barely have any recollection of my trip to Australia when I was four (I have family in Sydney). I love traveling, and obviously much of what I've done so far has been financed by my parents. I've just gotten to the point where I can afford my own trips though. What is the TCC? Your offer sounds intriguing.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:25 am

LOL I can somewhat relate to this thread, as both my wife and I are by no means poor, we are certainly not wealthy.

Having gone from a week in BC (driving from Oregon) and a week in Acapulco in a decade to London/Scotland last Sept, AR last March and Chicago seminar in Oct, with a AS/NZ trip in preliminary planning for Fall 2013, and maybe a week in NYC, all due to a lot of the techniques acquired here, I have no problems flying 1st and aiming for a week at the Waldorf Astoria, and then being the envy of everyone.

Aside from people with credit difficulties, everything I have done is easily repeatable, and yes I have out in effort for the some of the spends (hauling 35-40lbs of coins to the bank LOL) but that effort has been paid back 100x. The tools are right in front of almost everyone's noses yet they fail to take advantage of them. For the longest time I paid no mind until recently and now I will not look back. To date I have gotten:

2 AA citi 75k
1 AA citi bus 75k
CO 40k
US Air 40k
HA 35k
citi TY premier 50k
SPG 25k
DL Amex 35k
DL Amex Bus 35k

And I am coming up onto my next churn as well and refilling my AA points.

To the OP, your situation is a little different, living in AU and having a US Soc# and that has advantages.

To them I would say that travel is a priority to you and that is what your vice is. I have the belief that having a few vices are not bad, mine is bicycling, good food and travel. I make no apologies in having good cycling gear, good food and traveling well. Thankfully, the $$ I save on travel can go to feed my other vices.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: PC
Originally Posted by RustyC
There's also a split in many workplaces between people with kids and those without. The latter group has flexibility to travel in the spring and fall low seasons, when school is in and the situation with both paid deals and mileage awards is better.
IMO going places in low season is definitely the way to go, and not just price-wise. I would abhor a place like Venice in August with high temperatures and shoulder-rubbing with the teeming masses. On the other hand, walking around Venice on New Year's morning when the place is absolutely deserted is one of those images that tends to stick for a lifetime!

@Apieinthesky, TCC is the Travelers Century Club...it is an objective for myself as well, i'm @ 53/100 of their recognized territories so far at age 28
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
The problem is: you can get to your destination free of cost but the free ticket may delude you into thinking that your trip is free. Its not.. By the time you add up your other transportation, meals, visit to attractions etc, you would have spent a significant amount.. more so if you are going to an expensive destination like Japan.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by kyunbit
The problem is: you can get to your destination free of cost but the free ticket may delude you into thinking that your trip is free. Its not.. By the time you add up your other transportation, meals, visit to attractions etc, you would have spent a significant amount.. more so if you are going to an expensive destination like Japan.
Of course the trip is not free. But a plane ticket from NYC-Japan is quite expensive. If the airfare is "free," maybe I could take two trips for the price that I would've had to pay for one. Or I can take my girlfriend on a nice trip once a year without incurring costs that are too much for our very limited budgets as college students.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.