Reload this Page >

Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 6:02 am

I just started getting into this, but I have definitely been traveling beyond my means. I have not really gotten to take advantage of the international travel as much (yet) but I am already planning a huge trip. Working with Starwood is a huge plus because I get special rates at all the hotels (if available). Some really amazing deals also. I can stay at the St. Regis Bangkok for $95 a night or this hotel for $130 when its normally over $600 a night. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxur...ropertyID=3714 I only mention Bangkok because thats the next place I want to travel.

The average cost of a Westin for me is $79 a night, an Aloft is $50, and a W is $89. St Regis normally is about $200 a night. My family loves it because they are also allowed to get the discounted rates. My friends love it when they travel with me and stay with me. Oh yea, plus I get 50% off all food and beverage.

Last edited by edh101985; Aug 4, 2012 at 6:23 am
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:15 pm

I have been planning this trip for almost a year. My girl friend and I are traveling to China for five weeks and flying on first. My parents are flying with us and flying in Business. My G/F's parents are meeting us there a week later and also flying in business. We will be staying at the Park Hyatt in Shanghai for a few days. Conrad in HK for a few days. All the flights were booked using points. All hotels were booked using points. Yes, in 2008, I thought my friend was crazy for paying $300+ a night to stay at the Grand Hyatt in Shanghai. I will be paying $0 to stay at the Park Hyatt in Shanghai.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:37 am

Congratulations, windcloud5. Really good work!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by edh101985
My friends love it when they travel with me and stay with me. Oh yea, plus I get 50% off all food and beverage.
edh101985, how ARE you. I can't believe we lost touch!

Now, where are you traveling and when? @:-)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I just started getting into this, but I have definitely been traveling beyond my means. I have not really gotten to take advantage of the international travel as much (yet) but I am already planning a huge trip. Working with Starwood is a huge plus because I get special rates at all the hotels (if available). Some really amazing deals also. I can stay at the St. Regis Bangkok for $95 a night or this hotel for $130 when its normally over $600 a night. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxur...ropertyID=3714 I only mention Bangkok because thats the next place I want to travel.

The average cost of a Westin for me is $79 a night, an Aloft is $50, and a W is $89. St Regis normally is about $200 a night. My family loves it because they are also allowed to get the discounted rates. My friends love it when they travel with me and stay with me. Oh yea, plus I get 50% off all food and beverage.
The St. Regis in Bangkok in hardly $600 a night... more like 200...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82

The St. Regis in Bangkok in hardly $600 a night... more like 200...
I believe edh101985 is referring to the hotel that is linked with the quote of $600 per night. If you read more carefully, he already says in his post that the St. Regis is about $200 a night, and that he gets to stay there for $95.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 0geek
It's no ones business but I do feel like I need to explain why one second I'm complaining about paying $500 in car repairs then the next I'm booking a business class ticket to Bali. I explain CC sign up bonuses, paying my rent with Amazon Payments, and only paying $50 for the reward ticket. I don't think they ever fully buy it because they don't really understand it. After that I don't feel guilty or any need to explain myself.
How are you paying rent with Amazon Payments? It seems like there is a monthly limit of $1,000 and only for personal accounts... plus you have to convince your landlord to sign up just for you?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:47 pm

Fortunately I don't have a bunch of people hitting me up for money like others have stated in the thread. While I know a lot of people who aren't interested in any type of miles CC, they at least understand I'm not an ATM. But I am an example of someone who dosn't make a lot of money, but started establishing a credit history at a fairly young age and is now able to take advantage of a pretty decent credit score. I made mistakes along the way but none of the variety that prevented me from having a good credit score in the end.

I see my credit score as an asset, and a valuable one at that. I decided a while ago I wasn't going to just let it sit there... I'd put it to work and gain something out of it. A lot of people in general seem a little leary about credit cards, or afraid of the unknown. Personally I'm afraid of having a debit card and its a debate I've had with others many times in trying to get others into the miles game. Anyhow, the miles I've accumulated (not a ton compared to most but enough for now) will allow me to take trips that otherwise would be very hard for me to afford. I enjoy traveling, and I'm also a thrifty person. I'm not looking to travel in first class and I probably won't end up 'maximizing' my redemptions when I do use my miles in the future. But, they will end up suiting my needs and save me a lot of money, and take me to places I might not otherwise be willing to lay out so much cash to visit.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Fortunately I don't have a bunch of people hitting me up for money like others have stated in the thread. While I know a lot of people who aren't interested in any type of miles CC, they at least understand I'm not an ATM. But I am an example of someone who dosn't make a lot of money, but started establishing a credit history at a fairly young age and is now able to take advantage of a pretty decent credit score. I made mistakes along the way but none of the variety that prevented me from having a good credit score in the end.

I see my credit score as an asset, and a valuable one at that. I decided a while ago I wasn't going to just let it sit there... I'd put it to work and gain something out of it. A lot of people in general seem a little leary about credit cards, or afraid of the unknown. Personally I'm afraid of having a debit card and its a debate I've had with others many times in trying to get others into the miles game. Anyhow, the miles I've accumulated (not a ton compared to most but enough for now) will allow me to take trips that otherwise would be very hard for me to afford. I enjoy traveling, and I'm also a thrifty person. I'm not looking to travel in first class and I probably won't end up 'maximizing' my redemptions when I do use my miles in the future. But, they will end up suiting my needs and save me a lot of money, and take me to places I might not otherwise be willing to lay out so much cash to visit.
^

You have a very healthy attitude towards the miles and points accumulation game.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:34 pm

what status on AA and UA allow you to do the upgrade, I m a new member here and would like to learn the tricks of the trade from everyone in the forum, if you could reply. Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choiklu
what status on AA and UA allow you to do the upgrade, I m a new member here and would like to learn the tricks of the trade from everyone in the forum, if you could reply. Thanks
Have you thought about going to AA and UA own websites to check out their program rules, i.e. elite benefits? or the upgrade award charts?

You should be able to find all the answers to your questions above right on airlines own website, accurately and clearly, in plain English and easy to read tables, even pdf files to download.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Tiki
When I talk about my upcoming trips, like the one to Brazil, I often find myself adding like a disclaimer or something--"Of course I got free flights on miles". There is no way someone of my income level could afford the kind of travel I do otherwise, especially in Australia where they don't have the mega credit card bonuses I can get as a US citizen with a good Fico. It's like I don't want people to think I am secretly wealthy (I am not) and try to hit me up for loans or something. And I don't want people who see us walking out of an IC or Westin (on points) to think I am one of those rich people who usually stay there.

Does anyone else do this? I mean "apologize" or add disclaimers when they talk about their travels?
I never apologize but I almost always tell friends and relatives that we flew international business class with miles or used points for 5* hotel rooms. It gives me a good feeling to tout my ability to play the miles game , but I also don't want people to think that I would blow that kind of money on travel.

Conversely, I would would never share that info with random travelers unless they make it known that they are fellow mileage junkies. No reason for them to know I did not pay full price as they may have

There is no question that miles and points have made it possible for me to travel beyond my means, or more accurately, to fly in C/F and to stay in luxury hotels and resorts for vacations. There is no way that I would pay full price for these perks so if it were not for points I'd be staying in lesser properties or using priceline more. In fact I now get upset when I can't find a "deal" for a leisure trip and end up paying through the nose for advance-purchase economy seats.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
Originally Posted by choiklu
If you are a new member and really want to learn the basics, I would suggest you check out some of the beginners pages on popular travel blogs. In particular, I suggest milevalue.com. There is a tab "start here" that will guide you through the basics. Good luck.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Great outlook. +1 on the same idea.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Rewards Gold, AAdvantage Gold
I see my points as an untaxed part of my compensation. If I have to be away from my wife and daughter for work (even if my company pays for it) then whatever trips we may take or hotels we might stay in are most definitely earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.