Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling beyond your means on miles and points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:07 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Thanks for that tip--I'm going to read it. I'm all about non-conformity! Also, the 4-Hour Work Week is a good book about how to redesign your work life to travel more. I'm self employed so getting time off isn't as hard as it is if I worked for an employer, althought I'm still trying to figure out how to make money remotely so I can be anywhere, anytime.
Absolutely. 4HWW is another good book, though you have to take a lot of what he says with a Volkswagen-sized grain of salt ;-) Still, it's the right mindset to get into...

Good luck with adding more freedom to your life!! It's awesome to be able to travel!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Also, the 4-Hour Work Week is a good book about how to redesign your work life to travel more.
IMO, the second half of the book is bunk. But the first half is some degree of genius. It was very helpful for me in gradually negotiating out of reporting to any office, then out of being geographically bound at all.

In the process, my boss gradually extricated himself from the office, and his boss successfully left the country. Guess they just needed a nudge in that direction.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Tiki
When I talk about my upcoming trips, like the one to Brazil, I often find myself adding like a disclaimer or something--"Of course I got free flights on miles". There is no way someone of my income level could afford the kind of travel I do otherwise, especially in Australia where they don't have the mega credit card bonuses I can get as a US citizen with a good Fico. It's like I don't want people to think I am secretly wealthy (I am not) and try to hit me up for loans or something. And I don't want people who see us walking out of an IC or Westin (on points) to think I am one of those rich people who usually stay there.

Does anyone else do this? I mean "apologize" or add disclaimers when they talk about their travels?
If you dont have mega bonuses credit cards for miles in AU and you dont have money coming out of your ears, then how do you acquire elite status and accumulate miles ?? what other methods do you use that we in NA dont know about.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pnoeric
Absolutely. 4HWW is another good book, though you have to take a lot of what he says with a Volkswagen-sized grain of salt ;-) Still, it's the right mindset to get into...

Good luck with adding more freedom to your life!! It's awesome to be able to travel!
Thanks for the tips. I am currently researching the options for "remote" employment, so to speak, since I have a similar situation. Even though I'm self-employed, can't normally leave job for extended period of time, but long weekends and even short week-day vacations are OK. This has prevented me from traveling to Europe and beyond, because I've always dreamed to spend at least a month in those places. So having enough miles is not always "enough".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.