FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1359242-safeway-vons-buy-100-500-visa-gift-card-get-10-back-groceries.html)

thehawk75 Apr 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Buy $100 (or more) in Mastercard (NOT Visa or Amex) gift cards, and get a $10 coupon for groceries.

If you want a second coupon, you need to buy another $100 (or more) in MC GCs in a separate transaction (i.e. buying $500 in gift cards in a single transaction does not net you five $10 coupons).

Coupons are only good for groceries. Excludes; liquor, beer, pharmacy co-pays, milk, stamps, bus passes and of course gift cards. Other restriction is you can only use 1 coupon per transaction, so, split up your grocery purchases into multiple transactions when when redeeming.

Each gift card (regardless of amount for) has a fee of $5.95

If you use your Chase Freedom right now, and have a bank account with them, each gift card purchase should net you 539.75 Ultimate Reward points, which pretty much offsets the $5.95 fee. Net of all this, you've still got your $10 grocery coupon.

Gift card itself is easily cashed out via the various means discussed in Miles Buzz forum (and within first 3 pages of forum or so).

I am only speaking for Vons and Pavilions in Southern California. Perhaps your area has same promotion, perhaps not. Same parent company that owns Vons and Pavilions also owns Safeway, Tom Thumb, and various others in other states -- YMMV there.

------------------

EDIT 6/25/2012: Leaving above as the original post from 4/13/2012, but, confirming that the current deal is now Visa gift cards, not Mastercard, as it was back in April. Moderator has already re-titled the thread, which used to say Mastercard in title...just in case one might be wondering why the title says 'Visa' but my post mentions 'Mastercard'.

FWIW, new coupon doesn't mention any exclusions like the old one did, however, cashier still didn't let me use it on a case of beer. Store manager, however, was kind enough to appreciate my argument that no exclusions are mentioned anywhere (before buying, or even on the coupon itself) and did allow me to use it. Of course, YMMV.

bitachu Apr 13, 2012 5:19 pm

interesting..have not heard of this offer..but will have a look..good way to earn some points on prg

travelsg Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 18388969)
If you use your Chase Freedom right now, and have a bank account with them, each gift card purchase should net you 539.75 Ultimate Reward points,

how did you get 539.75 points? is it freedom only, or sapphire also applies?

thehawk75 Apr 13, 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by travelsg (Post 18389049)
how did you get 539.75 points? is it freedom only, or sapphire also applies?

$100 GC + $5.95 'Card Fee' = $105.95

Spend $105.95 on Chase Freedom

$105.95 X 5 UR points per dollar (for Grocery Store Category Bonus) = 529.75 UR Points

+ 10 UR points per transaction (for having Chase bank account I think)

Total = 539.75

You can of course use whatever card you want to use. I just happen to think that Freedom is the best thing going for Grocery stores at this precise moment (that will obviously change on July 1st, well after this promotion ends).

QL_714 Apr 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75 (Post 18389078)
You can of course use whatever card you want to use. I just happen to think that Freedom is the best thing going for Grocery stores at this precise moment (that will obviously change on July 1st, well after this promotion ends).

Maybe Amex BCP.

shopper711 Apr 14, 2012 12:33 am

Same for Safeway. Purchased $500 Mastercard GC and received $10 off $10 purchase tonight in Northern Cal.

prestonv Apr 14, 2012 1:48 am

How long is the $10 grocery coupon good for?

Thanks

prestonv Apr 14, 2012 2:03 am

Is this an advertised deal? I don't see it in my weekly mailer in San Diego.

Thanks

travelsg Apr 14, 2012 10:56 am

$105.95 X 5 UR points per dollar (for Grocery Store Category Bonus) = 529.75 UR Points

Total = 539.75

thanks, thehawk75. surprised gc can qualify for grocery on freedom as well, but come to think abt it, it's from the store so.. thx for sharing, it's a good deal..

FOX85 Apr 14, 2012 10:58 am

My vons has a display for the deal. However, in the past they refused to let me purchase one with a credit card. They claim I have to use cash or debit so YMMV.

amolkold Apr 15, 2012 3:43 am

Originally Posted by FOX85 (Post 18392392)
My vons has a display for the deal. However, in the past they refused to let me purchase one with a credit card. They claim I have to use cash or debit so YMMV.

I usually purchase a couple of grocery items along with it ... never have had a problem paying for a gift card with a cc when I do that, at both Vons and Ralphs.

Although I prefer Ralphs for gift cards since they give 2x points on gift card purchases on Ralphs Club (or Kroger Rewards depending on where you opened your account).

flyer31 Apr 15, 2012 4:07 am

thanks will try it out in los angeles

FredFnord Apr 15, 2012 11:38 am

True at Safeway as well, with caveats

This deal exists at Safeway as well; however, at both of the Safeways I've been to, the coupon hasn't printed after I bought the gift card.

One of them ended up coding a Safeway gift card for me. (Which is nice because it has fewer limitations.) The other one gave me a rain check signed by a manager and said, 'Please try to use this at this store, so they can call me if they have any questions.'

It's a fair hassle, but hey, with the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred, it's $16 back on an outlay of $5. Four of those in a month (don't want to get too greedy and raise any flags) gets me more than halfway to the $75 yearly fee, and that's not even counting the actual groceries that I get.

liaozhongchao Apr 17, 2012 2:37 am

Total = 539.75

You forgot to mention that Chase checking account 10% bonus! ;)

+ 11 UR points (for having Chase checking account)

Total = 550.75

soarer Apr 17, 2012 5:26 pm

once you get the $100 gift card is it activated ?

and can you get back iin line and buy another $100 gift card with it ?

Hey it worked on Leave it to Beaver !

SR