Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by jake66
I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
Drive up North to Orange County....I purchased the $500 Visa Gift Card with my Chase Freedom a couple of days ago along with 2 bags of chips. Used my Chase Freedom and showed my photo ID. No problem.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 5:11 pm

I've tried using my Chase Freedom card to buy $500 gift cards at several Vons grocery stores in the San Diego area. Every time they told me I can only pay with cash or a pin-based debit card.
They told me the same thing. It was thier OLD gift card policy. Just ask them to check with thier managers. The new policy is CREDIT CARD WITH ID.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by liaozhongchao
They told me the same thing. It was thier OLD gift card policy. Just ask them to check with thier managers. The new policy is CREDIT CARD WITH ID.
Thanks for the info. It is too late to get the 5x points on Chase Freedom this year, but I'll remember that for next year.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:37 pm

Crap. Purchased 3x on 6/28 but those didn't post until 7/1. According to Chase, no 5% bonus. @Safeway.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:52 pm

I wonder if safeway upgrade their system recently because it stopped accepting cc as a payment for visa gift card. I was able to do it a week ago.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by vitousa
I wonder if safeway upgrade their system recently because it stopped accepting cc as a payment for visa gift card. I was able to do it a week ago.
Doubtful. Or if they did, pretty much any 'non-manager' cashier can over ride that anyway. Just have to go to the cashier who's doing so. If the one you go to is problematic, politely take your gift card to another aisle and try again -- yes, I had to do that once when the first cashier refused to let me pay by Mastercard, the second one (less than 2 minutes later) did it for me without any words being exchanged.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Panzerspitze
...Purchased 3x on 6/28 but those didn't post until 7/1.
Posting date is irrelevant, the transaction date is all that matters.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Posting date is irrelevant, the transaction date is all that matters.
Really (I sure hope so)? That's not what a Chase rep told me over the phone though.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:42 pm

For my last $500 GC I had to try three cashiers at two different Safeways in San Francisco before one let me purchase the GC. I had previously purchased $500 GCs from both of these stores. It definitely depends on the cashier.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Doubtful. Or if they did, pretty much any 'non-manager' cashier can over ride that anyway. Just have to go to the cashier who's doing so. If the one you go to is problematic, politely take your gift card to another aisle and try again -- yes, I had to do that once when the first cashier refused to let me pay by Mastercard, the second one (less than 2 minutes later) did it for me without any words being exchanged.
I will give it a try again. Never noticed that it said cash only until I got the reject recently. Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 7:35 am
mia

Originally Posted by Panzerspitze
Really (I sure hope so)? That's not what a Chase rep told me over the phone though.
Brief discussion, with written explanation from Chase, here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...post-date.html
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:47 pm

Thumbs up Safeway/Vons- buy $100 Mastercard Gift card, get $10 off your next shopping trip

Your Next Shopping Trip
$10 OFF
When you Buy $100 in MasterCard gift cards. Offer valid 7/18-8/14/12. Coupon issued at register. Limit 1 coupon per transaction. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details, terms, conditions and (if applicable) fees.

I did this just now and paid $105.95 for a $100 Mastercard gift card. I also found something different from the former VISA/Mastercard deals:

1. You can only buy $100 value card NOT $100 or more;
2. The coupon will be good for any purchase NOT JUST GROCERIES (at least it doesn't mention any restriction except for gift card purchases);
3. The coupon will be expire on 8/28/12.

Even though the Chase Freedom card's grocery category has already passed, I think it would still be a good deal for those Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred card members. I used my AMEX HHonors card to meet the $750 spending requirement and get x6 points. I will do it again during the promotion period.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Safeway/Vons- buy $100 Mastercard Gift card, get $10 off your next shopping trip

Great way to build up spend on your credit card. Are there any limits?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:58 pm

When you use your $10 off coupon:

Minimum purchase of $10 required. (Of course...)
Limit one per coupon per transaction.
Terms and conditions apply to gift cards.
Usage restrictions may apply.
Coupon cannot be used for a gift card purchase.

That's it!

I still remember the similar Mastercard promotion two months ago. The $10 off coupon could only be used for groceries shopping, not even for fruits or vegetables.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:21 pm
mia

Moderator action

liaozhongchao's post has been merged into the established thread discussing previous variants of this offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.